Help me pick an overdrive/distortion pedal

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by tiedstick, Oct 23, 2007.

which one?

1. Ibanez TS808 Vintage Tube Screamer Reissue

22.2%
  2. Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer

7.4%
  3. Big Muff Pi

3.7%
  4. Little Big Muff

3.7%
  5. English Muff'n

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Boss OD-3 OverDrive

14.8%
  7. Other (please state)

48.1%
  1. tiedstick

tiedstick V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Hello!

I've been getting really frustrated with the rhythm-playing tone capabilities of my JCM 800 on the 'boost' or lead channel. I throughly enjoy playing lead parts on this channel, and it sounds bitchin' with a wah kicked in, but for rhythm...naah. It just sounds too muddy. I have no pedals to give me an overdriven sound when playing on the clean channel...so I need you guys to help me decide what to get. I like a good crunch. (I have a Boss DS-1, but I'd rather take a cheese-grater to the nuts than turn that thing on)

Is there a pedal that will richly distort my clean channel, but when I switch channels, is able to add even more gain to the overdrive channel? (turning on the DS-1 while I'm on overdrive makes the amp sound like its gonna explode) Help!!! I would greatly appreciate any advice or experience! :)

Please vote, and for the sake of good tone, lets say I'm not on any particular budget. :hippie:

2. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa Senior Member

Fulltone OCD will kick that amp up quite a few notches!

3. tiedstick

I've heard these are great. I actually forgot to put that in the poll. Thanks!

Note: the poll choices are just examples of some I had in mind. In no way am I limited to these. :)

4. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Yikes Cheese grater to the nads!!!!!!!!! Nasty Visuals Slash man < I have found that a TS 9 can be a damn handy pedal to have , you can sorta push what you already have, or add a bit of extra grit and grunge from it . TS 10 will give you a bit more grit and grunge over drive but still can be a fair clean boost as well, I only have limited experience with full tones but they seem to make decent gear

5. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

I have had great results with the Xotic BB..as well as the LovePedal COT-50.What sound or tones ya lookin' for there slash 'ole buddy?

6. tiedstick

Ah snap, forgot about that...My biggest influences tonally are Page, Cream-era Clapton, and Slash. I'd say Gilmour also, but I'm not a Strat player. Also EVH...I don't play much Van Halen but I dig the tone. Hmmm...think "The Ocean" by Zep and "Mr. Brownstone" by GNR.

7. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

hhmmm...Im always lookin to cop Pagey type tones myself,I dont know if this is gonna help,BUT,I have had some hands-on time with a Throbak StoneBender and buddy lemme tell you,its damn close to Jimmys sound.As soon as I can,Im buying one.

check it out:naughty::fingersx: Throbak Electronics

8. InTheEvening

InTheEvening Senior Member

If you don't mind soldering and doing some work yourself this might do Jimmy's tone pretty well, i've never used one but it's a BYOC pedal of the tonebender.
    bender

Maybe a Fulltone OCD? Again haven't played one but it's pretty well loved on another online forum I know. Plus it claims to get a good Zep sound.
    Fulltone | OCD

9. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Grasshopper why did you not ask your Sensei ?? Are you looking for just a boost pedal ? Overdrive or Distortion ??

10. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

wow man..that clip#2 nailed the "Custard Pie" tone! hhmmmm,gonna have to delve further into this OCD.....and no BOBBO I have not given up on the Klon:naughty:

11. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

What tour describing is a treble boost, really helps string definition. Echoplex preamp type will open rhythm sounds for you.

12. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I wonder if tiedstick ever completed his quest. :laugh2:

thread-necromancy[1].png

(But, yeah, you're right - sounds like he wants a treble booster. :thumb:)

13. NoRythm_LP

NoRythm_LP Platinum Supporter Premium Member

OCD 1.7 dude here and pretty happy with it...

14. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

One pedal, which is not on your list but which I would highly recommend, is the TC Electronic MojoMojo; cheap but as effective & as good as stuff selling for five times the price!
    I own a lot of vintage stuff and also many sought after boutique OD/Distortion pedals, but the MojoMojo is right up there with the best, in terms of sound, flexibility and built.
    I too gravitate towards 70s heavy crunch tones (i.e. "Beano" Clapton, "Truth era" Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman and cats of that ilk) as that's my main field, and a Les Paul plugged into a Marshall with a MojoMojo in between is just right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Setting wise I go Drive, 2 o'clock - Level, 3 o'clock - Bass, 1 o' clock - Treble, 3 o'clock as it's quite a "bass heavy" unit, and Voice switch up.
    With those settings and the amp set on light crunch, which is just what a cranked 50 or 100W Marshall gives you, it's just Clapton/Page/Beck/Ronson heaven!
    Of course those cats all sound different but that's the ballpark, which also allows me to control the whole thing with just the Volume control on the guitar; 3 or 4 = clean, 7 or 8 = rhythm, 9 onwards = lead for days!

15. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Senior Member

Boss BD2

16. Zepp76

Zepp76 Senior Member

Get yourself a Strymon Sunset and never need another overdrive again. It is without doubt the best overdrive I've tried, the versatility of it is unbelievable. Do a YouTube search and you'll be sold!

17. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Not sure why nobody has recommended the Way Huge Green Rhino MKIV yet.

One of the most versatile TS-808 style pedals on the market bar the EQD Palisades. The 100hz and 500hz active controls allow you to fine tune just how tubescreamerish the pedal sounds.

EDIT: Wait, this thread was made 10 years ago? That explains it.

18. derms87

derms87 Senior Member

I second the Fulltone OCD. Perfect into a Marshall clean channel and a relatively versatile pedal considering. The clarity and growl certainly surprised me.

19. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

Things going on in the world when the OP posted this thread:

1. "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" premiers.
    2. Boston Red Sox defeat Colorado Rockies in the World Series.
    3. "Bee Movie" premiers in US and UK.
    4. Miley Cyrus was kicked off of her "Best of Both Worlds" Hannah Montana tour.
    5. Drew Carey replaced Bob Barker as the host of "The Price Is Right."
    6. "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" was the number 1 song in the country.
    7. "The Office" was in its fourth season.
    8. "Wizards of Waverly Place" premiered on Disney Channel.
    9. "Guitar Hero" was still going strong.
    10. "Big Bang Theory" was only a few episodes into its first season.

Rich and I Break Things like this.
  20. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

11. I was still known as tarddoggy

I Break Things likes this.