Help me pick an overdrive/distortion pedal

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by tiedstick, Oct 23, 2007.

which one?

1. Ibanez TS808 Vintage Tube Screamer Reissue

21.4%
  2. Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer

14.3%
  3. Big Muff Pi

7.1%
  4. Little Big Muff

7.1%
  5. English Muff'n

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Boss OD-3 OverDrive

14.3%
  7. Other (please state)

35.7%
  1. tiedstick

tiedstick V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Hello!

I've been getting really frustrated with the rhythm-playing tone capabilities of my JCM 800 on the 'boost' or lead channel. I throughly enjoy playing lead parts on this channel, and it sounds bitchin' with a wah kicked in, but for rhythm...naah. It just sounds too muddy. I have no pedals to give me an overdriven sound when playing on the clean channel...so I need you guys to help me decide what to get. I like a good crunch. (I have a Boss DS-1, but I'd rather take a cheese-grater to the nuts than turn that thing on)

Is there a pedal that will richly distort my clean channel, but when I switch channels, is able to add even more gain to the overdrive channel? (turning on the DS-1 while I'm on overdrive makes the amp sound like its gonna explode) Help!!! I would greatly appreciate any advice or experience! :)

Please vote, and for the sake of good tone, lets say I'm not on any particular budget. :hippie:

2. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa Senior Member

Fulltone OCD will kick that amp up quite a few notches!

3. tiedstick

I've heard these are great. I actually forgot to put that in the poll. Thanks!

Note: the poll choices are just examples of some I had in mind. In no way am I limited to these. :)

4. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Yikes Cheese grater to the nads!!!!!!!!! Nasty Visuals Slash man < I have found that a TS 9 can be a damn handy pedal to have , you can sorta push what you already have, or add a bit of extra grit and grunge from it . TS 10 will give you a bit more grit and grunge over drive but still can be a fair clean boost as well, I only have limited experience with full tones but they seem to make decent gear

5. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

I have had great results with the Xotic BB..as well as the LovePedal COT-50.What sound or tones ya lookin' for there slash 'ole buddy?

6. tiedstick

Ah snap, forgot about that...My biggest influences tonally are Page, Cream-era Clapton, and Slash. I'd say Gilmour also, but I'm not a Strat player. Also EVH...I don't play much Van Halen but I dig the tone. Hmmm...think "The Ocean" by Zep and "Mr. Brownstone" by GNR.

7. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

hhmmm...Im always lookin to cop Pagey type tones myself,I dont know if this is gonna help,BUT,I have had some hands-on time with a Throbak StoneBender and buddy lemme tell you,its damn close to Jimmys sound.As soon as I can,Im buying one.

check it out:naughty::fingersx: Throbak Electronics

8. InTheEvening

InTheEvening Senior Member

If you don't mind soldering and doing some work yourself this might do Jimmy's tone pretty well, i've never used one but it's a BYOC pedal of the tonebender.
    bender

Maybe a Fulltone OCD? Again haven't played one but it's pretty well loved on another online forum I know. Plus it claims to get a good Zep sound.
    Fulltone | OCD

9. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Grasshopper why did you not ask your Sensei ?? Are you looking for just a boost pedal ? Overdrive or Distortion ??

10. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

wow man..that clip#2 nailed the "Custard Pie" tone! hhmmmm,gonna have to delve further into this OCD.....and no BOBBO I have not given up on the Klon:naughty: