Help me out with a new amp

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by clutchcargo, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Yup, love it.

clutchcargo likes this.
  2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

So I was looking at it on YouTube. Is it essentialy a pedal board that needs an amp and cab to run through? It sure sounds great from what I looked at.

3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

No amp needed. A pa speaker like the Alto TX10(what I use) or TS112
    Or studio monitors
    Or headphones
    Or you existing amp's effect loop return(disable the cab block)

4. clutchcargo

Ahh, my amp doesn't have an effects loop. I was looking at the Helix Floor Board. I can get one for $125 a month for 12 months no interest. :hyper:
    Damnit, the GAS is on tilt. The wife has a strong hold on my recent purchases.

What to do, what to do....:hmm:

Rhust likes this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Sweetwater does 48 months no interest.. i sold pedals and another amp to pay for mine.

6. clutchcargo

I like short terms. 12 months at $125 isn't bad at all. I just wonder if I can sneak that past the wife. But I'd need a speaker since my amp doesn't have an effects loop.

7. clutchcargo

I have Bose studio 5 for my Mac. Would something like that work well? They make amplitube sound pretty damn good.

8. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I'm sure it would.
    I bought a pa speaker so I could set mine to an approximation of how it would would live.. a tx10 is under $150 new, and guitar center has used powered pa speakers for less.. but most of the time, I use headphones at home.

clutchcargo likes this.
  9. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Dr Z has some great options. I found a barely used Rte 66 for <$1k and it rocks.

OBX351, cherrysunburst00 and Rhust like this.
  10. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

FWIW, that's one of my favorite models in the helix. they call it the 'interstate zed'

11. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

All good suggestions but if it were I'd get a Germino...new or used you'll be happy. I have a guy that has built 4 amps for me and he does a GREAT job. PM me if you want his name, but he can get where you want to go tone-wise.

12. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but I understand you're looking at a Helix floor board now.

I've played one of these through a powered Line 6 speaker (big heavy bastard it was, too!). I thought the Helix was a good design and pretty easy to use. I like the idea of having the floor unit being the processor itself, rather than having a rack that then needs a floor controller. One piece of gear instead of two.

But you still need an amp, and to get the full benefit of the modeller you need an amp that's pretty flat driving a speaker that's also flat. Like studio monitors. The studio monitors are great for playing at low volumes, but if you want to actually rock with some loudness then you need some power. I've never heard a model of a big amp like a Marshall that sounds like a big amp when played back through tiny little monitors. Marshalls move air.

So if you want it to behave like a Marshall, you'll need an appropriate amp / speaker. The Line 6 thing I used got plenty loud. Then there's GSC and EV. So there are lots of options. I just want to emphasise the point that if you expect any modeller to sound 'big' through little near field monitors, you're in for a disappointment.

Regarding the sound, I only played with the presets on the Helix floor but I found a JMP model that produced reasonable ZZ Top noises. It worked well with the volume control too, from full bore down to low crunch. However, it didn't work very well at the other end of the sweet spot, between clean and crunch. There was something unpleasant about the way it rolled off. As a player who uses the vol control all the time, and uses it to go from clean to scream, that's a show stopper for me. But if you mainly craft your sound by pedals it'll be far less of an issue. I should also add that it was a subtle thing. There were three people in the room with me at the time, and two of them (one of them my wife, who doesn't play) were smiling and nodding. The third was shaking his head with me. So it really might not be a problem for you.

I'd say suck it and see. But for goodness sake, make them hook it up to some power: either a powered wedge in the > 600 W range, or a power amp and speakers.

13. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

kinda, but no... the helix (or fractal, or kemper) are designed not necessarily sound like a big amp... but to sound like that big amp, in the next room, and mic'd

so you can get that big sound from a PA speaker (or studio monitor) at a reasonable volume... but it's sorta like hearing it on the album, instead of through a guitar cab... you have to tweak that sound, because things like the mic, distance, and hi/low rolloff does matter...

you can also use something like the seymour duncan power stage 170 with a regular guitar cab, and bypass the cab/IR block on the modelling unit... THAT is more like an amp in the room. and yes, it does sound BIG. I plugged it into the return of my 6505MH and out to my 1x12 and it sounded amazing... it sounded HUGE... the helix and other modelers are also as dynamic as the amp they are modelling now... the "feel" is there...

the presets are not the best way to demo one of these units though... you have to spend time with them