Help me out with a new amp

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by clutchcargo, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

If you want something a little different than a Marshall, I'll suggest a Tweed Deluxe clone. This is an amp I think every guitar/ampaholic should own at some point. If you get a good one you can make it sound like Marshall or Fender. Very versatile amp and not a one trick pony.

I agree with Matthew bear, avatar 45 is great, I have one. Rockitt Retro amps get nothing but rave reviews and are the real deal also.

clutchcargo and bulletproof like this.
  2. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

I tried out a JTM-45 full stack (1960 cabs), and it sounded awesome! That was about 4 years ago, and while used it was a recent version.

I thought it was well worth the $1000 (for the head) that GC was charging for it. I would have bought it, but it was too much amp for my home needs.

Some days I wished I had brought it home regardless!

clutchcargo and bulletproof like this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Of course they aren't made like they used to be. Manufacturing has changed. But, if you mean they aren't made as well, or to last..... Not sure I agree totally.

You never mentioned what tones you're going for.

But the recent Fender, and I hate to use this term, 'reissues' are built extremely well. The 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb I have/(Had, in process of selling, but because I went digital) is one such. Best pedal amp I ever had, and you still have classic Deluxe Reverb tones. Great amp for 1K US.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

I want all the tones!

I play around with Amplitube 3 on my laptop. I've had it for a few years but never mastered any tones on it. It sounds good through my headphones and through my Bose speakers to my ears. I use the basic Apogee Jam interface to plug in. Nothing fancy.
    I've considered just modding my Vox ac15c1 and getting an Axe-fx 2.
    But I'm not entirely sure what else I would need to truely bring that modeler to sound it's best.
    Like a lot of videos I've watched. I can be honest that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Axe or a 50 Watt plexi.

Decisions...decisions...

5. clutchcargo

6. clutchcargo

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 50 Watt Plexi clone. It came with JJ E34L's in the power section, and EH 12ax7's in the pre side.

I've been researching tubes. Don't know much about them. I'm just wondering if I can get it to sound even better with other tubes.

The head sounds great and I'll get more into it in my NAD post coming. Almost blew the windows out of my music room the first day. A lot of power, but I have a house, and my neighbors are cool. So I can crank it.

7. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

I was going to suggest one of the Friedman Mini's (Pink Taco, Dirty Shirley or Runt). I have a DS, and with the gain structure switch, I get JTM, Plexi and JCM800 tones. New are about $1500, but if you are patient and diligent, you could get one for $1200-1300. You'd be surprised at how loud the 20 watts are, too.

8. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

if you want ALL the tones, you are in luck, that is an option... the technology exists, and you aren't ignoring it :)

helix, Fractal (ax8 or FX2), Kemper or even the atomic amplifire will get you there...

which one you get will determine what else you 'need' I'd say as a start, you need some good PA speakers for a Pseudo FRFR setup, or some studio monitors. and that's about it... but that isn't even required, you can run into the return of your effects loop, into your existing cab, by just disabling the cab emulation on the patch you are using...
    I made the switch to the dark side, kept my 6505MH, added PA speakers and a better set of headphones, and that's it. that weekend I played out with new patches and was complimented on my tone, and how well it sat in the mix.

some have a higher learning curve than others, and some might want to keep some pedals to add on(not usually required) but there's nothing wrong with choosing that route...

if you are SURE you want to keep the tube/analog route... I can't believe no one has recommended Phaez... since he's been known to build people their DREAM amp for the budget you are kicking around. want a hi-watt + JTM? I think he has a circuit for that. want a SLO + blackface? dumble+AFD? I think if you can dream it, he can build it... at least that's the reputation.

clutchcargo likes this.
  9. clutchcargo

I may get a modeling rig down the road. Definitely not against them at all. I use amplitube an think it sounds great for what it is.
    Can you use a 4x12 cab with an axe fx? Or any of the others?

10. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes, with a power amp in between (except for the Powered Kemper which has one)

clutchcargo and Rhust like this.
  11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

All of the others.
    you just need some sort of power amp... the kemper can be bought with a built in power amp, the others require it separate... you just disable the block for the cab emulation, since you are using a cab already.

with the AX8, you have to add something to use a headphone, like a small mixer with a headphone out, or something... but the others all have a headphone port.

I went with the helix because it, TO ME and my purposes and budget, was the most versatile and required the least 'other' stuff.

clutchcargo likes this.
  12. clutchcargo

Cool. I can definitely see getting an AxeFX down the road. If I do, it would be nice to be able to use my current cab, and not have to spend a bunch of cash on new speakers.

I've seen some video on the Helix. Looks and sounds nice. The Kemper I'm not really familiar with, but I do remember seeing some video on it when it first came out.

I would get a newer model that has a headphone out.

13. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

ax8 is new, its the floor version of the fx2(rack, with optional floor controller)... i guess they figure if its a floor unit, you don't need headphones?o_O

a lot of guys continue to use a power amp+ existing guitar cab... as the best way to get that "amp in the room" feeling... it's also less complicated, imo

using the cab emulation with FRFR or PA/Studio speakers is really "amp in another room, mic'd, and piped in"

different experience, but to my ears, equally pleasing... especially at low volume..

FRFR/PA is how you would use it live, though, so that's what I do my best to emulate at home... so I can set my patches how they would be live.

Kemper, in one way is the ultimate way to have ALL the amps... because you can take any amp, and create a profile of it...you aren't limited to the amps made available by the company... but it's also an expensive proposition $2700 including the floor unit. the Fractal FX2 is around the same, after adding the floor controller

AX8 is 1300, Helix is 1000 for the LT, 1400 for the full floor unit.

the tones on all 3 are on par with one another, the differences are mostly in the interface and "other" abilities

I went with the LT, because it had all the abilities I needed(and then some) which left $ in the budget for PA speakers... and the user interface is easily the most intuitive(without needing a PC hooked up)... the helix also seems to allow better integration with existing amps, using the 4 cable method... you can use your existing tube amp on one patch, and turn off certain out puts to just use the amp as a power unit on the next patch. and in MANY cases, you can even send the signals you need to switch amp channels...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    clutchcargo likes this.
  14. clutchcargo

Thanks for the details Rhust. I really appreciate it. As I get closer to buying a modeling rig I will be seeking more individual details.
    I really like playing late at night with headphones on. I feel like I get better ideas that way. I rarely record because I'm not very good with Logic Pro. I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm not in a band, and I don't gig, so right now Amplitube is fulfilling that need pretty well. I'm a straight up home player that wants to become a better guitarist so that I can start recording ideas. Even if they suck.

With Amplitube sounding as good as it does, I can only imagine how much better the high end modlers are.

Rhust likes this.
  15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Cool! Go download helix native, while it's available in free demo mode and try it out... that's another option for PC based playing

clutchcargo likes this.
  16. clutchcargo

Is it available for Mac?

17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Yep

clutchcargo likes this.
  18. clutchcargo

Nice.

Rhust likes this.
  19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

also, since you like plugging into the computer... try rocksmith... you won't spend hours dialing in tone... but that's the point... you just get on and play!

there are a ton of "free" songs out there for it too, created by other users. the resources are there :) I was playing along to some last night... it's a great way to make sure you are actually playing and having fun... I know I can sometimes get lost in the tone search... constantly dialing in, instead of playing.

20. clutchcargo

Rhust, do you have the Line 6 Helix LT?