Help me out with a new amp

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by clutchcargo, Aug 13, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

The time for a new amp is in the near future.
    I really want to start dialing in the tone in my head, so I can stop worrying about it and focus on playing. Tone chasing takes up to much time from playing and progressing to the next level.

I prefer playing straight into the amp, without pedals. However, I do have a couple of pedals that I wouldn't mind using if they help me achieve what I'm after.

The old Marshall and Fender Amps were great as far as I've read. But it seems neither company makes them like they used to. I guess that's par for the course with almost everything these days.

So, I've been looking at clones. I think Metropoulos looks and sounds great from the reviews. But they are expensive.

I came across an amp builder named Sligo. I don't know if any of you ever played one of these Amps. They claim to use the best components and are much cheaper as far as I can see. I've seen some demos on YouTube and they sound pretty good to my ears.

Has anyone been down this road? Any input, thoughts?

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  2. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

I've never tried the Metropoulos or Sligo amps, so I can't comment on them. What kind of music do you play and how much are you looking to spend? Honestly, I wouldn't go off strictly hearsay regarding new Marshall and Fender amps and would recommend test driving some of them if you have any stores near you. I've heard negative opinions about the Marshall DSL line, for example, yet when I played it I thought it sounded pretty damn good, especially the green crunch channel. Good luck to you on your search!

3. clutchcargo

I want Superlead plexi/JTM45 tones. I know what you mean about hearsay. The tones I want appear to be in the videos, and demos that I have heard in some of these clones.

bulletproof likes this.
  4. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

Since I jam with a drummer but don't gig, I generally only test out amps in the $300-$1000 range (personal preference). I tested out the Fender Bassbreaker line a while back with a Strat and those sounds were definitely old school Marshall-esque. They had that clean and dirty at the same time vibe, if that makes any sense at all. The green/crunch channel on the Marshall DSL line sounded similar to an old school Marshall as well, very responsive to the volume knob on the guitar. If you're craving a higher end, boutique style amp then these options might not suit your needs, but I figured I'd lend some options from my experiences just in case.

clutchcargo likes this.
  5. clutchcargo

Thanks for the input BubbaZ. It's not that I'm craving boutique at all. Metropoulos is what I would call boutique. It the $3k range.

But the Sligo Amps claims to be in the same range as far as quality components used. A custom hand wired head build complete for $1100 sounds pretty good as far as I've seen and reasearched.

bulletproof likes this.
  6. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Check out Ceriatone's USA site, they've got a lot of really cool amps.

7. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

Have you ever heard of the Rockitt Retro amps? They're handbuilt Plexi replicas for $1300. Check them out here: http://www.rockittretro.com/rr50.html

8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Heyyyy man.....first Ive heard of this guy. And damn!! This has my interest,big time!

clutchcargo and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  9. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

The builder is this guy named Kevin out of Missouri, I believe. I was teasing the notion of investing in one of his amps a year or so ago (ultimately didn't buy one, life happens and money wasn't there for it anymore), and he was very knowledgeable and happy to answer all my questions. If I'm remembering correctly, he handwires each amp to order by himself. Give him a call, he's probably the best customer service person I've ever encountered.

clutchcargo and bulletproof like this.
  10. bulletproof

Yup,Im more than likely going to do just that....:yesway:

Bubba Z and clutchcargo like this.
  11. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Too much freakin power for a strictly at home player, but wowza, those look nice

bulletproof likes this.
  12. bulletproof

I have an entire finished basement that just cries out for that type of power:headbanger:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::dude:

13. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Depending on your price range, Carr's Mercury V (supposed to be like the Marshalls from the '60s through the '80s) may very well be what you're looking for, or even the original Mercury (Steve Carr described it as 1/3 American, 2/3 British. Both have power reduction.

clutchcargo and bulletproof like this.
  14. bulletproof

Well damn,I never thought about it till now,so,I went and took a look.....what an amp!! Man,its so damn hard with so many great choices out there. I want one of each:headbanger:

clutchcargo likes this.
  15. clutchcargo

These looks great. It seems like you can into a hand wired plexi clone from $1,100-$1,400ish. Not bad IMO. Thanks for the links guys.

bulletproof likes this.
  16. bulletproof

Right on,brother!!! Been looking at and listening to everything I can find on these and Im pretty damn sure the RR50 is in my future:dude:

clutchcargo likes this.
  17. clutchcargo

RR50 is right up my alley as well. I don't care if it's earth shadderingly, ear crushing, animals under 20lbs killingly loud!

What we need and what we want seldom agree with one another.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

I've been gigging with RR50 #139 for 2 years and it's a great amp.
    Kevin does a real nice job on these.
    I would highly recommend this amp to anyone looking for a 1987 spec amp.
    I'm actually quite tempted to get his 1959 version as well.

bulletproof and clutchcargo like this.
  19. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I'd recommend the Avatar 45. head or combo, they are great amps! very good MV circuit that sounds nice at low volumes. and not hype priced either, which I dig!

20. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

try a marshall 6100 2nd hand . 3 marshalls in 1 box - awesome.