Help me Identify these Mini Humbuckers!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by macg1, Jul 6, 2017.

1. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

So, I bought this 1965 SG Special under the premise that the pickups installed were replacement mini humbuckers from 1972 since the covers are Gibson stamped. Well, a very rookie mistake when looking at the pics and didn't notice these didn't look like anything I had seen before. A mini humbucker with two wires coming out of them! What in the world are these? What are those colored dots? As a piece of tone info, in the middle position they do sound out of phase. Could these wires have anything to do with this?

https://i.imgur.com/ScT6qUm.jpg

2. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Taking a guess and saying they've been converted to 4 wire pickups.

Again just guessing here but the color code for the wires/wiring configuration.

Can you post pics of the control cavity wiring.(Also going by the look of the neck pup route the guitar was routed for standard sized humbucker/s at some point?)

[​IMG]

bulletproof likes this.
  3. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Control cavity pic.

4. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

Oh and as far as routing goes, I will need to remove the pickups next time I change strings. It wasn't sold to me as a routed guitar.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

This is not routed. Someone added corner blocks to accommodate the Epiphone style mini humbucker rings. Those corners can be removed if you wanted to go back to P90s or Gibson rings, but I personally like how it looks with the Epi rings.

bulletproof and macg1 like this.
  6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

See below,Didn't think about the Epi rings..:slap:

looking at the cavity shot it appears that the colored dots are for the pickup wires color code.

Captureugtds.JPG

7. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

Yeah looks like that for sure as far as the color dots. I had never opened the cavity so that was a quick answer! :D

8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Good grief! What a mess. ...but not actually all that much work to restore, fortunately.

Why someone would use two individual runs of coax for each pickup, when shielded 4 conductor wire has been around since Ma Bell first routed a call, is beyond me.

The reds are tied together so your blacks will be either the starts or finishes of the pickup coils, depending what the tech did inside the covers. The blue and red paint dots probably represent common grounds and are only different colors so that you can identify the leads for each pickup inside the control cavity. The other dots likely signify which coil that lead runs to.

What's your goal? To get it running or to restore it?

To restore it, send those pickups out to be un-modded as much as possible (if the coils/magnets are original, they may still sound fantastic!), then sell them (not worth much like that) and buy some soapbar P-90s and a replacement or original pick guard. It should be no problem for a luthier to remove those wooden blocks from the routes and mount some soapbars, but it should be done carefully with the right tools as to not pull away any wood and/or finish.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  9. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

Actually the guitar works great and sounds great. I do have a long term goal of getting P90s back in there but that could wait. I would like to get a pair of vintage correct ones but those are quite pricey. For now I am enjoying a nice hum-free existence.

10. sangandongo

I really think that the minis would shine in this instrument. I wouldn't be in any hurry to get P90s back in there, honestly. The "damage" is done and it was good.

Also, @cooljuk, thanks for the info on the PAF spacing re: my Byrdland the other day.

bulletproof and cooljuk like this.
  11. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Oh, ya, I have no doubt those pickups sound good if the guts are essentially original and only the wiring mod was done. ...and quite complimentary to a 60's all hog SG, with their punchy jangle and clarity. It's probably quite a fantastic sounding guitar, I'd guess! The info was only if restoration was the goal.

If you do plan to restore it one day, those mid-60's P-90s aren't getting any cheaper. ;)

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Yep, I bought a pair separately and paid not too much less than what my 50's p90's went for about 5 years ago.
    P90's are on the up and up. I'm glad I got in when I did.

Heppe and macg1 like this.
  13. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

Thanks cooljuk! I am probably going to get them back to original wiring or replace and sell once I confirm they are indeed 72 minis. Any telltale signs that you know of to distinguish Gibson minis from that era (72 embossed cover) once the cover is removed?

14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

COULD have pink bobbins..

sangandongo likes this.
  15. sangandongo

Now that's a weird tidbit I was not aware of.

Kris Ford likes this.
  16. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

[​IMG]

17. sangandongo

I'm not sure about that. I believe that the pinkness comes from the wires. Those bobbins are clear, I believe. I've seen this in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  18. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

19. sangandongo

That's translucent plastic with the wire showing through, tinting it pink. Look at the outer edges on the right side of the bobbin.

20. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Sure is!

As are these P90s..using PINK wire..
    [​IMG]