Help identifying/valuing 62' SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by adoring_fan107, Jun 5, 2017.

1. adoring_fan107

adoring_fan107 Senior Member

Hi, ive come across a vintage 1962 SG near me that is in serious need of some work and was wondering if you could give me an idea of its value.
    Apparently the neck pickup is an original PAF and the pots/switch/jack are all original.
    Thanks in advance

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Help identifying/valuing 62' SG

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

As the owner on a 62 LP SG Standard (original owner), I can say for certain that an original of these had a side pull trem. Can't see the serial number on yours, so can't verify if it is a real 62, but looks like one with an after market stop TP, Grover type tuners added in place of original Klusons, and missing a small black plastic plate between the neck pup and the neck. Of course, you know about the non-original bridge pup. The black crap around the front strap button probably came from storage with a leather strap on. Leather straps have a nasty chemical reaction with the lacquer on this model guitar over time. Can't see if it has a neck break at the heel, but these were common on this model. Make sure any repair is secure. I have no idea as to value. This guitar can never be put back in original, collector condition (even with new reproduction parts and finish work. So a five-figure value is out of the question.

3. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

Obviously it had a side-pull trem. You can see the screw holes.

If the price is decent, I'd jump on it. $6k? Cheaper would be better. Beautiful grain on it. Wonder why there's a PAF in it? Those are worth around $2k for a kickoff.

Pity some asshole thought it was cool to stub his smokes out on the heel. It's worked hard–refretted, tuners replaced etc.. But looks like it has plenty more to give, if you ask me. These '60s SGs are not going to get any cheaper.

Edit: Ah. Possibly right about a chemical burn at the heel.

4. Dolebludger

Single,

Could hve been cigarette damage on the heel. But my 62 SG was stored in its case a number of years, and got similar (but less severe) finish damage from contact with the leather strap and the lacquer. I was able to do a little touch up work and the damage on mine isn't very noticeable. Don't know about how (or if) the more severe damage on the guitar in this thread could be fixed.

5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Senior Member

That neck heel was repaired, I see dowels.

XpensiveWino likes this.
  6. Dolebludger

I don't know whether I see dowels at the neck heel, or just a mess! But then, by eyes aren't what they used to be. What I do know is that neck breaks at the heel are all too common with this guitar make, model, and year. If that mess at the heel is a repair job, it is one of the poorest I have ever seen.

7. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Yeah, I saw dowels and bondo type crap repair job. Looks to me like the crack outline goes just on the outside of the black gunk. I know nothing of this market, so I can't speak to value. If it plays well, and you'd like a project to take on, I bet it can be had at a very nice price. It'd be fun to take on, especially with a PAF in it...

8. Dolebludger

With the 61 and 62 LP SG standards, there were a lot of neck breaks at the heel because of fragile construction there, and I know Gibson did factory fixes on a lot of them under warranty. Those factory repairs are just about undetectable. I don't think those repairs have much affect on value -- if you can even tell that the repair was made. And in 63 and beyond, Gibson put more "beef" in the neck heel joints. But with a messy repair like this one, I just don't know.