help identifying this 50's junior (and introduction)

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by lewita, Jun 1, 2017.

1. lewita

lewita Junior Member

Hi folks! My name is Lew, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, I-m 31 years old and I've been a silent reader on this forum for longer than I can remember. I'm an industrial designer and a luthier here, I design, build, repair and restore guitars for a living, been doing it for ten + years, and fiddling with guitars since I was 11 years old, but enough of that.
    The reason of this post is to ask all the very knowledgeable people here for help on the next subject: I've been offered a really sweet deal on this guitar, seller claims he inherited it from an uncle, who didn't take much care on this guitar. He says it's somewhere between 54 and 56, that the serial number has faded out. From what I can tell on the pictures, all soldering is intact, and that Grey Tiger seems to be the period correct cap. He also told me that he replaced the original 3 on a side Kluson with modern generic replacements, but he will include the originals (missing buttons). He says that other than that, he suspects the knobs to be replacements too, and the nut from the jack is also a replacement. Everything else is allegedly original. Can you help me identifying it? does it look original to you? How much do you think it's worth without that serial number? I'm just trying to figure out if I should buy it or not, I don't want to make a mistake here!!! Thanks in advance!!!

15589559_1427156340642481_6855134481051725495_n.jpg 15440337_1424178297606952_6225737563369543161_o.jpg
    1.png 2.png 3.png 5.png 4.png 6.png

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    stilwel and RevWillie like this.
  2. Kinghat

Kinghat Senior Member

I think it may be later than 56; the pickup route is not as close to the bridge post as the early ones are. Probably the best way to ID the year would be the date stamps on the pots, assuming they are original. Nice find!

3. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

Looks like an early 54' to me? The high E side of the bridge is pretty close to the pickup. Similar to my own 54'. Including the grey tiger if it's original?

4. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Does he say what this is?

Capturelkjhg.JPG

5. buyusfear

buyusfear V.I.P. Member

Could be a '55 also.
    Speed knobs ended on Jr's in '56 if I'm not mistaken.

nwobhm likes this.
  6. lewita

lewita Junior Member

yes, I asked him about it, thinking that it might be a covered switch cavity, but it's just the mark of a sticker that used to be there.
    As to the pots, he sent me pictures of them last night, I(R)C,, last digits were 518, whichi if I'm not mistaken is 18th week of 1955...
    On a side note, I asked him about the original cardboard case, and he told me this guitar belonged to his late uncle who thought the case was useless, and threw it away many years ago...
    Thank you all for the replies!!