Help Identify and Appraise This Guitar: Gibson ES-175

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Alex, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Alex

Alex Administrator Super Mod Premium Member

Hey guys,

I got this email from someone who's trying to appraise and possibly sell this guitar, which appears to be a Gibson ES-175. I'll let you guys decide what year the guitar was made and what it's worth today. If you're interested in buying, please message me privately and I'll try to help.

Now, the pictures...

IMG_20170611_114655.jpg IMG_20170611_114808.jpg IMG_20170611_114841.jpg IMG_20170611_114910.jpg IMG_20170611_115110.jpg

2. Brian Tee

Brian Tee Junior Member

From the serial number its a '63. Probably worth somewhere in the region of $2-3K. Nice condition.

3. 58 special

58 special Senior Member

i would think the pick-ups would be worth at least that.

jojosoda likes this.
  4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Maybe, maybe not.
    You are absolutely correct in my opinion in thinking that is the very first question that has to be answered. I'm not the expert, I know there are many here. What is it you look for on the pup? Is it a little phillips head screw? Whatever it is, I know it makes a big difference in the total value. Hopefully, someone who actually knows what they're talking about will chime in. I just know you have to answer that question before moving forward.
    Beautiful piece!

5. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Agree. Yes.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  6. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

With a fully hollow body and sharp Florentine cutaway, the Gibson ES-175 stands out as an all-time iconic jazz guitar. The ES-175 has seen some variation over the years, with different pickup and hardware configurations coming in and out of the Gibson lineup. Those with the ES-175D model number indicate the use of two pickups, and an N denotes a natural instead of sunburst finish. Although the ES-175 is noted as a jazz guitar, it has also been embraced by rock players like Yes' Steve Howe

Gibson ES-175D 1963 Sunburst

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Years of Production: 1953 - present

Body Style: Archtop hollowbody cutaway

Design Elements: Two humbucker pickup, trapeze tailpiece, parallelogram inlays, Florentine cutaway

Notable Players: Steve Howe, Pat Metheny, Joe Pass

Reverb Estimated Price Range
    • $4,500 — $5,500
    Transaction History
    • Used
    • New
    Date Condition Asking Final
    4/3/2016 Excellent $7,000 $5,500
    8/1/2015 Excellent $4,995 $4,500
    8/8/2014 Excellent $5,825 $4,575
    8/30/2010 Very Good $7,995 $6,995

In it current state around 2,500 to 3,500

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  7. DimiPana

DimiPana Junior Member

This is clearly a legit sticker from a mid-'60s ES-175 but I am not sure if the rest of the guitar is. Clearer and closer pictures should help but I have never seen this bridge on this guitar specifically and certainly never with this kind of trapeze. I'd be very cautious and triple check everything with a reliable trusted expert, before I spent money on buying this.

Blues hurler likes this.
  8. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

There are some changed parts to it, but yeah, they all affect the price, probably 15%- 20%. Collectors can be EXTREMELY anal.

Pop1655 likes this.
  9. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

I'm a little curious how the bridge is mounted to the top, considering it replaced a floater on a hollowbody. What is holding the two bridge pins in place?? :hmm:

Pop1655 and The_Nuge like this.
  10. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

If original and 1963, I'd imagine so.

That's what blows me away about something like this. How much of the current "value" of the guitar is the pickups/electronics alone? 80%? More? If so, what would the husk be worth?

Pop1655 likes this.
  11. cherrick

cherrick Senior Member

I had one from the '70's. Wonderful guitar. The bridge on this one is not original. If a luthier mounted a bridge plate under the top that bridge might be stable. I would probably pay $2 - $2300 for it like it is. If they pickups are not PAF they're worth under $100 for the pair.

12. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

Spacing of low E string is disturbing.

BrianB likes this.
  13. pete

pete Senior Member

If the pickups are original early pats, or even late PAFs(possibly one of each) and the electronics are original, I would say that guitar is worth closer to 5-6k. It has an added strap button, grovers like many guitars. Repro or even an original tailpiece wouldn't be that expensive. It would have two plugged holes in the top that get covered by the feet of the floating bridge, not a big deal. The string spacing thing is easily fixable with the correct bridge installed. If the hole pattern for that tailpiece is different than the es175 tailpiece, there would be a few more holes that would affect the price a little bit more You could probably put that guitar back to completely stock for $350-$400 including the holes in the top fixed. Original p-ups/electronics is the most important factor to me. If the electronics/p-ups aren't original, 2-3k would probably be about right imho.

RevWillie likes this.
  14. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

This is probably the worst (well, along with the Grovers) because the bridge is screwed to the top. And just like the Grovers required a reaming out of the tuner post holes, this mod leaves two holes in the top. You could 'cheat' it by getting an original wooden bridge base and bridge and it would likely cover them. But with the rest being player-grade why bother?

Pop1655 likes this.
  15. pete

pete Senior Member

If I wanted a vintage 175 is why I would bother. I would leave the grovers personally. you could have the bridge post holes professionally filled and finished over and it wouldn't be that expensive. A vintage style bridge would fix the string spacing and make it a great player. All these repairs wouldn't cost that much. Again, if the electronics/p-ups are original, and you want a vintage 175, this could be a great opportunity.

i

16. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Yes, and after all that work you would have a vintage guitar that isn't original in much of any way so isn't really vintage. And for the same money you could have scored a real vintage 175, albeit with with P-90s. Original condition is highly valued for this reason.

Pop1655 likes this.
  17. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Banned

The very reason why many 175s (and other Gibsons from the era) have been parted out-- and there is a fair likelihood this one has too. In other words, some previous owner or dealer pulled all the original hardware (PAFs, Klusons, bridge, tailpiece, harness) and sold them for $$$$, leaving nothing but the carcase. Old 175s are a leading source of vintage "Les Paul" parts.

I would be very surprised if those pickups were PAFs/early Pat Nos.

BrianB and Pop1655 like this.
  18. pete

pete Senior Member

How is it not original or vintage? You're saying that the vintage value lies in the bridge and tail-piece? How many vintage guitars have had a bigsby installed and removed? Or grovers?! So they aren't vintage anymore? I value the electronics way more than I would the tailpiece,tuners etc. Maybe that is a matter of opinion or preference. This guitar wouldn't sell for top dollar obviously, but it would be worth more than the 2-3k mentioned earlier. I would take this one with original early pat/pafs over an all original with p-90s, and i am sure I am not the only one that would.

19. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

"So they aren't vintage anymore? "

In a word, yes.
    We're sorta drifting into two conversations on this.
    The question was "what is it worth".
    Is it a cool piece? Yes.
    Would I love to have it? Yes.
    Would it be a great player? Yes.
    Is it worth vintage money??? NO!!!!!
    Are the pups worth a wad of cash??? That question hasn't been answered yet!!!!!

20. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

If you read what I wrote, I said "what you would have is a vintage guitar that isn't original" and that is indeed what you would have. A lot of an older guitar's value is wrapped up in the originality of the constituent parts. Although we can't know if the pickups are original from the pics, its clear that the tuners, tailpiece, bridge, and saddle are not original. Even the switch tip is missing. As someone else pointed out, its doubtful the pickups are original. I would say the same about the knobs and TRC. Someone parted this puppy out.

What is left is a player, albeit with old wood. Some might like that. Or, for about the same money, you could get a new reissue that wouldn't need a fretjob or other work just to be able to play right out of the box.

Pop1655 likes this.