Help figuring this out

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by flamesarewicked, Dec 4, 2017.

1. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

surely this YouTube has passed yalls path at one point or another. If not.. check it out.. the point of this post is that I’ve been trying to figure it out by ear. I’ve managed to figure out the main rhythm riff of it but I’m having troubles with the soloing part.. I wished there was an app that can take this audio and convert it to tab.. or maybe someone could figure it out and make the tab for me lmao! Anyhow.. it’s an awesome video of Rev Willie goofing off on a Blackstar Artisan 15..I’m usually pretty successful figuring out songs by ear but this one seems to right there in front of me but I can’t get it.

2. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Do you mean the actual lead licks he's playing?

To be honest there's nothing too crazy there. He's jamming on a blues in C, that's all. Fairly standard "C minor pentatonic plus C major pentatonic" stuff.

I'd forget about software, and just play along with it a few times to soak up his basic phrasing rather than transcribing exactly (although if you really want to then "Transcribe" is the software of choice around here for that sort of thing, and JonR is the guru of using it ;) )

3. flamesarewicked

yea I figured it wasn't anything super complicated. ive been trying to figure it out but it seems to slip through my fingers in a matter of speaking lol.

4. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Yes, it's all generic C blues phrases. Personally, I wouldn't bother with working out the details, but that's because I kind of know all this stuff already! If there are parts that catch your ear - and huw is right of course - I'd recommend Transcribe (other slowdowners are available...;)) to pin it down note for note.
    https://www.seventhstring.com/

huw likes this.
  5. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Since when did we become the BBC? :D

6. flamesarewicked

I may have to try transcribe out.. May be useful in more situations down the road too

7. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Yes - there's a lot of good stuff in there. It's almost like he's rehearsing every blues lick he knows.
    Personally I'd recommend going back to the originals, but that's a long way back... and he's giving you a whole package right there.

flamesarewicked likes this.
  8. flamesarewicked

It’s a great video of him just messing around ... #goals