HELP! EV ZLX12P Mic Volume Issues

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by TheWilly17, Jul 14, 2017.

1. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Just as the title says, I have to almost max the mic level to get sufficient/usable volume. I think everything is setup properly. Does anyone else have ZLX speakers? Looking for suggestions.

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Are you running a microphone straight into it? You might need a small mixer to boost the mic gain to usable levels.

Nicky and TheWilly17 like this.
  3. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Problem solved,bought a little mixer (Mackie MIX8), night and day! Actually improves the iPod sound as well.

4. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

I, too, have a ZLX12P, and was frustrated with the gain. I bought the darn thing to be all-inclusive, and I did not want to have to cart around a mini mixer all the time. I use it for solo vocal/acoustic gigs, as a monitor for church (guitar amp mic only) and for my rock band (sometimes just vocal mic, sometimes a full mix), sometimes a monitor when I'm providing sound for other bands, and sometimes just for public address. I was constantly having to max out the volume knob and finding that still to be insufficient.

Then I was playing around in the menu and realized that the encoder knob was also a master volume. Cranked that to max (I think it's +12 dB), and now I rarely have to turn up the mic higher than noon on the channel volume knob. Kind of a "duh" mistake, but I figured I'd share it, as my ZLX is a great speaker now, getting some great feedback from everyone who stands in front of it.

5. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

I wasn't comfortable with maxing out the Master Volume, felt that was kind of defeating the purpose of having a 1000watt speaker.

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

No, not defeating the purpose. You get maximum headroom when the master volume is wide open. Look at it this way...master volume is not a gain knob....it's an attenuation device. That means when it's wide open it is at it's nominal setting. Anything other than wide open is a cut.

7. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I often wonder about this myself in a larger context. I agree, It is usually recommended practice in sound reinforcement, I have read that thing about maximum headroom a million times but IME cranking the power amps beyond what you need in volume greatly reduces signal to noise because you are driving the amp with a weak signal down a possibly long driveline, picking up interference and the amps by themselves tend to get fairly noisy when cranked, and for what? I tend to set power amp gain the same way I'd do all my gain staging, the system seems quieter that way unless you're running really hi end power like Crown Macrotech (Am I dating myself by referring to those as high end?) but even there I remember techs turning the amp gain down rather than reducing the drive level.

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Ah well, I can't say I disagree with that point of view. But I generally don't use a huge power amp for a little job! :fingersx:

9. yeti

yeti Senior Member

The only reason I can see these days to crank the amps is because analog mixers of today seem to lack the power rails to support professional +4dBu line level with proper headroom, heck even pro gear these days seems to run a 0dBu with a maximum output of + 20dBu or less. A little toy mixer probably craps out at way less than that (waaaaaaay less) so you have to get your headroom back by sending less from the console and increasing the amp gain (or attenuate less).
    Mini rant starts here:
    But how much headroom do you really need anyway if you're running a quasi protools rig at FOH? I saw Jason Isbell outdoors the other day, the soundguy had some digital console running who knows what for plugins and there was zero dynamics in that show, combined with those dreadful processor line arrays it sounded so flat and lifeless I had to leave early. The art of Sound reinforcement seems to be dead at this point IMHO. Rant over.

10. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Looking at the ZLX12P mixer panel, its two inputs do not have a switch for you to select between MIC or LINE level. Rather, if you turn it from -∞ to 0 (12 noon), it controls LINE level, while 0 (12 noon) to MAX is for MIC level. Hence if you are plugging a mic into it, you should really have the input cranked somewhere above 12 noon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017