Help Choosing an Interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by MIDNIGHT, Apr 2, 2008.

1. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

ok ya'll recording gurus :wave: need some help here :fingersx:

i checked my bank account yesterday and i have no idea how it happened but it seems like i have enough money to buy an interface now :rofl: :thumb:

my price range is in the $100 range.. i've sorta narrowed it down to these two but im open to whatever else you guys recommend :D

Musician's Friend - Product Reviews - M-Audio MobilePre USB Portable Audio Interface
    Musician's Friend - Product Reviews - M-Audio Fast Track USB Computer Recording Interface

here's the deal.. i could kinda care less about having two mic inputs over one, but the $130 dollar one seems to not have any software with it while the $100 dollar one does.. is the software that goes with the $100 dollar one really something i should go for? or should i go with the $130 dollar one and just download audacity? :confused: also, fill me in cuz i am a total NOOOB at this stuff :rofl: .. i might be missing something here that makes the choice obvious for you gurus out there :D

everything else aside, at the top of the list is sound quality.. that's really what it all comes down to.. sounding good is what it's all about.. so shoot me straight guys.. with which do you think i can make better sounding recordings? and why? :wave:

'ppreciate it ya'll :D

2. MIDNIGHT

added another choice.. i'm really starting to look at a lot of these things and make sure i end up with the right one :D i don't wanna buy one, stumble on another one, gas over it, and regret i bought the 1st one already :rofl: :p

the Line 6 TonePort :D

Line 6 - TonePort

a little help with the choosing please? :rolleyes:

3. MIDNIGHT

man the toneport really seems to be winning me over right now.. :D .. the fact that it NOT ONLY has ableton BUT ALSO has gearbox, AND it's on sale at MF, AND i like what i hear :applause:

:rofl:

dang this might be it.. :hmm: .. what do you guys think? :wave:

4. MIDNIGHT

screw it guys :rofl: i bought it already :p the toneport :D

5. MIDNIGHT

i should be getting it by next week :applause:

FINALLY i can do some decent recording :laugh2: :thumb: if i have the time, i'll make one next week :D

6. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Damn... Sorry bro... just saw this now. Hope you like the toneport... But the MobilePRE has some good preamps... and those are what you need for good quality recording!

Works best with a MAC though. Not sure if you're a Mac guy or not.

The Toneport has 2 versions, one that does vocals and guitars/bass and I think has a drum machine, and a stripped down version with just the 1/4 inch jacks.

It's pretty cool, but I haven't heard a lot of positives about the sound quality. You'll get a lot of use out of it though, for sure.

Download the software updates and get on the user forum for some cool patches and sounds!

7. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Oh and you gotta have USB 2.0 and a fair bit of computer muscle to use either of these. That's why the Mac is so good, very low latency sound. Hope your computer is up to spec!

8. MIDNIGHT

yeah i checked the system requirements :thumb:

also, it says here that it's also USB 1.1 compatible :D (phew :rofl:)

Line 6 - TonePort

:D

9. MIDNIGHT

i guess it was mostly the price that won me over mostly.. MSRP 270, sold at 200, down to 130 (it's the UX2 that i got) :D and also since i didn't know as much about the mobile pre since there weren't any soundclips or videos on the website and what-not.. anyway, if i don't like it, it's MF i bought it from, so i can send it back if it sucks :D

right now, i don't really have the money for a mic, and it'll mostly be guitar that i'd be recording anyway.. yeah i've heard stuff about the toneport's mic preamps.. but for me, i guess as long as it's not THAT bad, it's ok :D

10. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Tascam has a USB interface that comes with Cubase and has two inputs, phantom power, etc. It's around $100 too. Anyone tried this one?
    Mark

11. RONM

RONM Senior Member

Hey ya man, in my opinion i would go with the same chioce that i made which was the M-AUDIO FASTTRACK USB its a good solid interface for guitarist giving you full 96khz 24bit recording with no nonsense upon installation, i use it both live and in the sudio and it is a really cool unit. Its got a knob on there for selecting between playback and record level which is a really handy... i also think it now comes supplied with a copy of protools Mpowered software, ive tried so many and it will give you bang for your buck. . .

i have some tracks on my bands myspace page if ya wanna hear the end result!

MySpace.com - KODELLE - IE - Rock / Electro / Experimental - www.myspace.com/kodelle

12. MIDNIGHT

yeah i was looking at the fast track one too.. but for only 30 bucks difference, i went for the toneport instead.. more inputs and outputs.. me liking Gearbox more than the GT Player Express, and again, like i said, at $130, $70 discount, it felt like a total steal! :D

anybody agree? :Ohno:

nice clips by the way man :thumb: i really hope the toneport can do as well if not better :D

13. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I haven't tried the TASCAM stuff. They made good recording consoles back in the 80's, so it should be decent.

I can find out though. That is one department where I have an all access pass. ;)