[HELP] Buy a rather cheap Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by bluei16_, Nov 11, 2008.

Wich one is the best for my money? [~200€/255$/£165]

1. Epiphone LP Special II [145€/185$/£120]

5.3%
  2. Epiphone LP-100 Heritage [220€/280$/£180]

26.3%
  3. Wilkinson Vintage V99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wilkinson Vintage V100

68.4%
  1. bluei16_

bluei16_ Junior Member

NOTE: Please leave your opinion, don't just vote on the poll... it is very important to me. Thanks!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I was thinking about buying a Les Paul but I don't have much money and I'm very far from being considered an expert so I am asking for help here

I would not like to spend much more than 200€, what would be about 255$ or £165.

I'm from Portugal - Europe so I'll give you some direct links to the guitars I am considering in the guitar store so you can see the price and compare:

Epiphone LP Special II

Epiphone LP100

What is the main difference between these two? Is it worth the price?

Another store told me they had Wilkinson's Les Paul but I don't know exactly wich one. They said it would cost 300€, so I think it should be a V99 or a V100. What do you think is the best between these two and between these and the Epiphone's?

Is there any other Les Paul I should consider and try to find?

Thanks a lot and sorry for any mistake in my English and for the large post
    Cheers

2. ajaxajax2000

ajaxajax2000 Senior Member

You might want to have a look at BaCH guitars. They're from Tcheckien which some say is better quality than Korea or China (I know nothing about that, though). Don't know how they are play wise, but very nice looking.

They're more like €300, though.

Here's the link:

B&CH MUSIC - Import, wholesale and production of music instruments

3. bluei16_

bluei16_ Junior Member

Well the looks of course I think are important but they come after sound and playability. Anyway, these you showed are very similar to the Wilkinson's LP in terms of looks, so I would like opinions about other characteristics

Thanks a lot for the help!

4. Ravd

Ravd Junior Member

I have found that the epiphones lp 100's are not to bad. If you are, but the Epiphone les paul 2 usually comes with one double coil pick up, and most of the time they are just cheap guitars for people on a tight tight budget. i wouldnt expect a great sound from them. Now if you can find a Hondo II les paul law suite era there is a great cheaper guitar that is amazing.

Most people dont realize how sought after they are and sell them for cheap i mean like 100-200 american dollars. They are exact replicas of the gibsons guitars, and come factory with DiMarzio humbuckers, and sounds great, More and more they are increasing in vaule. so if you get one keep it, before you know it, it willl be worth more then you paid and you will never be disappointed in it

5. bluei16_

bluei16_ Junior Member

It is very hard for me to find one here and I just won't buy it on the internet. Thanks for the opinion though

6. Ravd

Ravd Junior Member

Well if you were shopping online id sell mine if it wouldnt cost me an arm and a leg to ship it

7. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

My opinion on these choices?? DONT buy EITHER of those Epi's, please!! And I take it back on being just my opinion, it is just plain FACT that the Vintage V100 is 1,000,000 times better at least than an Epi LP100!!! Not even close dude. Don't let that "Les Paul" decal on the headstock trick you. The Vintage V100 is WAY more of an actual Les Paul than that thing. Better woods used with the Vintage (Epi LP100 is most likely made out of "multi-ply" woods), better hardware on the Vintage, WAY better pickups in the Vintage, Set-neck joint on the Vintage, and MANY more better things.
    Not even close.

8. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

honestly, I do not know

but, I think I would take a look at that Vintage V100....(and also thank needlespauls)...I think he could be on to something

9. Sportrider24

Sportrider24 Senior Member

I used to have an LP100. If I'm not mistaken, it is basically the same guitar as the LP special. Same PU's, just a little more dressed up with the pick guard and all. It was a decent starter guitar but it wasn't great by any means. I would not buy another.

By the way, the one in the picture is much nicer looking than the actual guitar. I had the heritage cherry and you could not see any wood grain like you see in the photo.

10. davebag89

davebag89 Banned

IMO Vintage V100 they are amazing guitars for the cash, mine cost only £120 and it is superb, definately the best cheap lester.
    Thats just my opinion though :) Good luck with whatever you choose man :slash:

11. tintin

tintin Senior Member

I have an LP-100. Really a pretty decent guitar. Mine does show wood grain, and appears to be a solid block for the body. The neck is bolt on (not that that's a terrible thing. To wit: Fender Strats, Teles, etc.). I really like the tone of my LP-100, as well as its relatively small size and light weight (I'm a light weight myself! ;)).

I don't know much about the Vintage guitars. But I was just checking out the Xaviers. I'd give the Xaviers a serious look. Cheaper than the LP-100, and GFS pick ups! Now that's a serious temptation.

12. Sportrider24

Sportrider24 Senior Member

You might look into an Agile. I hear good things about them and they are inexpensive.

13. bluzjamer

bluzjamer Member

Grab an Agile or Xaviere Les, even their bottom of the line is better than the EPI 100. You spends your money and you makes your choice.

14. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Pony up a few more bucks and get an Epiphone Studio. They're still cheap - and they aren't a crappy super budget guitar.

Studios are as nice as any other carved top set neck Epiphone - the others aren't.

15. blaze_022

blaze_022 Senior Member

Well i would say a les paul special 2,
    Not justr cause i own one
    They are easy to get a hold of,
    Decently built,
    The only drawbacks i have with mine,
    which im gonna change thanks to the forum are the chrome hardeware ( swaping out for gold look )
    And the fact its not an arch top.
    Everything else i love about it, the neck, the action, ( admitidly needs a bit of fine tuning depending on what you play.)
    I think the pick ups could be better, but i payed £300 for mine 2 years ago, and i love it. Even tho i have only been playing for 6 month lol. as i got it and found it wasnt that easy, i left it in the box, now im teaching myself and it is a great guitar. and in the hands of somone whoknows how to play, they scream

16. melt

melt Senior Member

I had two BacH and both felt slightly better than Epiphone Standard LP, AND with a better price (383 dollars here in Sweden)
    http://www.bachmusik.com/en/

17. Axeman-FTC

Axeman-FTC Junior Member

I've tried the Vintage V99 and didn't like it that much, I bought an Ibanez GSA 60 instead (which is a brilliant guitar for the money, if it doesn't HAVE to be a LP, I'd go for an Ibanez (either a GSA 60 or GRG 170 DX - which I also tried, but had already been sold)
    From what I hear, (& on youtube,) the V100 is very good.
    Apparently, the more expensive Epis are good, but the cheaper ones aren't very good, but that may not be true.

18. whateverlikesgadge

whateverlikesgadge Senior Member

Hi all does anyone know how thick is the maple cap on the vintage v100 model is it just a veneer like on epiphones which are a maple veneer on an alder cap?

I am considdering one of these to tinker with and an also interested in a Burny RLG 50SL

Cheers

19. arakele

arakele Junior Member

You should check out the les paulesque guitars from your neighbor in spain, SX Guitars. My buddy recently picked one up and we put on bigsby and upgraded the pickups on it. It sounds incredibly nice for being a clone. I am thinking of picking one up myself. They have them available with set-necks and bolt-ons.

20. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I'd get an Agile if I were you...or a used Epi. Don't bother with the Special II or the LP100.

(agiles can be ordered online from Rondo guitars)