HELP Bridge and Tail piece for Epi LP HELP

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by JB1978, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JB1978

JB1978 Junior Member

I own a 2001 Epiphone Les Paul custom (I think). It is black with 2 gold pick ups (covers) and gold accessories. It has the Gibson diamond the headstock with "Gibson"vertically on the truss rod cover. Everything is stock on it. It was given to me as a gift from a relative.

Recently I bought a bunch of parts to upgrade/renew it, mostly because the gold hardware on it was pitting and looked like crap and the pickups were muddy.

Most of the parts I bought seem to be fine but I got a call from my guitar tech telling me that my bridge and stop tailpiece will not fit without additional plugging/drilling and that's going to cost more than the guitar is worth.

Here is a run down on the items I got that won't fit:

Bridge: NEW Schaller STM Roller Tunematic BRIDGE for Gibson Les Paul SG - CHROME

eBay item number 191847241406

Tailpiece: Faber TP-59 Standard Aliminum Stop Tailpiece- 3010 Nickel Gloss Finish

eBay item number 231125331571

I need help with finding either adapters for these items so I can still use these high quality items (preferred) or a replacement bridge and tail piece that will work without any additional modifications or drilling.

Thank you!

2. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

I think the stuff you bought is meant for actual Gibsons, not Epiphones and therefore measured in inches instead of millimeters.

For Epiphones, many people use TonePros as its good quality and not too expensive. You'd be looking at:

TonePros T3BT Bridge
    TonePros T1Z Tailpiece
    (also comes as a set: http://www.tonepros.com/lpm02-tonepros-metric-tuneomatictailpiece-set-large-posts/ )

Another, very high quality but also more pricy option would be Faber. Just make sure you get stuff for "metric" and "imported" guitars.

cheers

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

Why would you do a roller bridge on your Epi ?

fumblefinger and howardlo like this.
  4. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I have used the tailpiece part no. 3010 on three Epiphones with no problems at all! What's your problem?
    The Schaller you bought is made for a Gibson so it won't fit without modifications to the guitar. Anyway why on earth do you want a roller bridge? If you have tuning problems you should pay attention to the nut instead.

You can use the Faber ABR bridge ABRM-59NG part no. 3060 (nickel), but only with pair of adapters BSWKIT-NG, part no. 3047 (nickel plated).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  5. LPofBorg

LPofBorg Warranty Voider Premium Member

Faber eserts with Faber abrm bridge will tighten it right up.

Walt_T and dCi_king like this.
  6. JB1978

JB1978 Junior Member

Bc I have no clue what I'm doing and need help lol

rockstar232007 likes this.
  7. JB1978

JB1978 Junior Member

Ok so you guys are sure the tailpiece fits, just not the bridge. Am I correct to assume that??? If so, that's a relief...half my problem solved.

It's hard to know bc my guitar has been in the shop so it's not here to look at.

So I just need to replace the bridge...

Ok so it was said I have the wrong bridge and to get a Faber abrm with Faber eserts.

If I get these I'll be all set?

8. JB1978

JB1978 Junior Member

Not sure I want to spend $100 on a Faber Bridge w Eserts.

Found this on Reverb..would this work ?

IMG_3033.PNG

9. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Yes

10. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

StewMac sells a Gotoh bridge and an aluminum TP that will fit easily and sound great, both delivered to your door for about $60. Gotoh bridges are much loved here. Do a search.

howardlo likes this.
  11. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Can't speak for the other brands mentioned here, but I did a full Faber system on my '01 standard. Couldn't be happier with the results, but it wasn't cheap.

12. Dolebludger

I tried a Faber bridge on my vintage 61/62 SG LP Standard. But after I put the Gotoh bridge on my Epi '56 GT LP P90, and it sounded so good, I got a Gotoh to fit my vintage Gibson SG. Sorry, but I have to say the Gotoh is the better bridge. I think it has to do with the way the saddle screws are well secured to the bridge body on the Gotoh, and not just riding in "U" shaped cavities secured by a spring. One can get a "drop in" Gotoh bridge delivered to his door for $30 or less, and installation time is in seconds (once the strings are removed or greatly loosened). All I can say is "try it, you'll like it".

tzd likes this.
  13. JB1978

JB1978 Junior Member

I have no doubt the Faber bridge is great but $70+ ? A bit salty

Can you send me a link for the gotoh drop in bridge?

14. JB1978

JB1978 Junior Member

Thank you!

That site had awesome shipping rates, couldn't pass it up. Got one for $28 postpaid..hopefully it fits !!

15. Dolebludger

Or you could check out StewMac.com, item # 1511. $24.84 + shipping in Chrome or Nickel and $32.97 + shipping in gold.

16. SwisherSweets

SwisherSweets Senior Member

just go to stewmac like dolebludger suggested, pick the hardware that's for a epiphone, the metric parts. I love how a tech told you it cost more then the guitars worth to drill some holes lol. oh geeze, so hard to put a screw in the bottom of the bushing, screw in the bolt and out it pops, hand sand the holes to size.. tap in the new bushings. you could do it yourself for the whole cost of 5$ to buy some sand paper. :D enjoy your guitar when its done mate.

Dolebludger likes this.
  17. Dolebludger

As a plus, the Gotoh bridge for my Epi. LP came with a set of studs that fit the inserts tighter than the original ones.

howardlo likes this.
  18. JB1978

JB1978 Junior Member

image.jpg Ok boys , got my bridge problem solved...MUCH thanks for all the replies and help

However my tail piece does not fit...it's off by just millimeters

Are there posts that I can buy and swap out with the stock ones that will fit in the stock holes but work with this tailpiece ? I need to change them anyways bc the stock posts are gold and switching color scheme.

I'd really prefer to go this route

19. Dolebludger

How is it off? Is it the width or the diameter of the studs?

20. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Key word for most of Epiphone parts is "Metric". Gibson parts don't fit unless it's a JDM model.

I have a 2001 Dot and I replaced the bridge and tailpiece and both were metric and perfect. I used TonePros and the tailpiece was the Locking Aluminum model and I couldn't be happier. Same parts used for the LPC.