Help an old guy out.....

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Leña_Costoso, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

In years past, I had a Boss DR-5, and a low end 4 track recorder that saved to Sony Minidisk.

I found the DR-5 pretty well suited, as I could lay down drum tracks, and DR-5 bass, then mix that down to one channel on the recorder. That left me three tracks to play with, without doing any further mixdown.

I liked the DR-5 because I could play guitar, and get bass lines from it, or damn near any other instrument I wanted. It tracked really well, even if the tones were a bit too "synth" sounding. Horns were not too remarkable, but the Hammond organ was.

Yeah, I know, times have changed.

Since I lost all that stuff (or I'd still be using it!), I'd like to replace it with whatever is good in modern technology.

I see that Boss still makes the DR-3... dunno how it compares to the DR-5.

And recorders... its all digital, and everything gets loads of good and loads of bad reviews.

And.... you go into a store, and all they want to do is sell you what's in the display.

I need some ol' fashioned schooling up!

2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

I'm not sure what you are trying top do. Are you recording, jamming, playing a gig?

If you are recording, probably the most common thing is to do it all on computer. You get the equivalent of dozens of tracks (limit by the speed of your computer). And have access to an unlimited amount of FX processing without a patch bay in sight.

All sorts of virtual instruments controlled by MIDI (computerized piano scrolls). These virtual instruments include drum kits, bass, piano, horns, strings pretty much every musical instrument.

All sorts of FX and virtual instrument plugins available that will work with the computer digital audio workstation (DAW) software. There's too many choices to list. But there's free stuff, to collections that cost 10's of thousand of dollars. Typical is probably several hundred dollars in basic DAW software and plugins (often called VST's).

Once the computers became fast enough to do it well, I stopped doing anything with hardware based recorders and drum machines. Of course these things are still useful for portable applications. But, I have no idea what state of the art is for that these days.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

hell...even a laptop and an interface in a carry bag is more than portable enough. And it can be super powerful!

WhiteEpiLP likes this.
  4. Leña_Costoso

I should have been more specific. Recording, but just foolin' around mostly, just having fun with things.

In the past... I'd just lay down some tracks and complete them, or practice with them. Nothing great, just for fun.

Let me put it another way....
    Can someone recommend a multi-track stand alone recorder (because I'm not going with computer), and a rhythmer that also does a few other basic flavors like bass, piano chords, organ chords... maybe horns. With that, I can begin to piece together some stuff again for myself.

I'm so damn old school... rock music was played... on rocks!

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I got nothin.

6. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Sounds like you need a band in a box. I'd try the Digitech Trio plus for that. As far as recording goes, I dunno, a computer, a cheap interface and audacity (free) should get you started.
    I don't know my way around self contained multi track systems, I'm surprised they even still exist.

WhiteEpiLP likes this.
  7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Silver Supporter

Why change?
    Go with what you know . . . . . . . .

Boss DR-5

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1.A0.H0.Xboss+DR5.TRS0&_nkw=boss+DR5&_sacat=0

Sony Mini disk

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sony+minidisc&_blrs=spell_check

If you want to upgrade I would recommend the Zoom G1on.
    Zoom G1on Guitar Multi-effects Pedal Features:
    • An affordable multi-effects pedal that adds a ton of tonal possibilities to your guitar rig
    • Streamlined user interface with large backlit LCD screen makes programming easy
    • Choose from 100 guitar effects, including distortion, modulation, delay, reverb, amp modeling, and more
    • Combine up to 5 effects at once, in any order you want, to create cool and unique tones
    • Auto Save function ensures that your effects settings won't get lost accidentally
    • Pre Select feature lets you scroll through effects without previewing them automatically
    • 68 built-in rhythm accompaniment patterns make practicing your timing fun
    • 30-second looper allows you to build up cool jams and performances
    • Onboard chromatic tuner supports all standard guitar tunings, including drop tuning
    • Stereo aux jack input and headphone out put provide great ways to hone your chops

And it's only $60

Pieter Holland likes this.
  8. Leña_Costoso

Well, I'd rather buy a new recorder.... dunno about the DR-5. I got a feeling the DR-5's didn't get much use because they're complicated.

Was hoping for new stuff really.

9. redking

redking Senior Member

Digitech trio is a good suggestion for what you are describing. Otherwise your question is kinda like "Which new Studebaker should I buy"? You may have to try and find the stuff you used to have on the used market if you don't want to use a computer.

10. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

OK I am an old rocker and my thing is guitars but lately I started singing along with my acoustic mainly easy Bob Dylan or Neil Young stuff. I have a Boss Micro BR which I have had a few years, they are good but take a bit of getting used to. I started doing backing tracks so I could play lead over the top etc. Anyway I like you am not keen on DAWs and the main reason for me is that I hate computers and arranging in them because I was a computer programmer and after 20 years of that as a job I have burned out. Also you can get computer problems and spend days sorting them out unless you keep a strict backup regime ...

If you get a DAW Pro Tools Garageband etc. you will NEED an Audio interface and a midi keyboard. I have Pro tools on my laptop and a midi keyboard but I hate doing music on the computer so this is what I did

I have made a bedroom into a home recording studio and bought a Korg Kross 2 keyboard workstation, Yamaha HS speakers and a shure SM58 microphone and the stands etc. Took a few reads of the manual and watched some helpful video lessons from Korg on youtube but in the first week I have done full songs with intros verse chorus and middle 8s. The mic is plugged into the Korg and you have microphone effects like delay reverb etc. Also there is a vocoder on the Korg for Mr Blue Sky or Peter Frampton type of stuff. Keyboard like this do great piano, Horns, Strings and of course a huge array of synth sounds. It even has all my favourite organ sounds like Deep Purple Jon Lord, Uriah Heep July Morning and a load of retro sounds to mimic the cure et al. It also has all the new stuff so bands like Muse and St vincent etc. the one thing a Keyboard is CRAP at doing is GUITAR! That is where my guitar ARMY come in: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Fender Strat plus, Fender Tele reissue, Schecter 006, Fernandes RLC-75s sustainer, Peavey HR sig and my acoustics. I have a Katana 100 2X12 amp and the mic out is recording quality which plugs into my Korg line in. You can sample riffs, effects or play and overdub onto you tracks. There is nothing beyond reach. 20180109_072836.jpg 20180106_170528.jpg

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Silver Supporter

Zoom G1on, I use one all of the time.
    Good tool.

12. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

How about price point, what ya willing to spend on a portable system with high quality virtual instruments , enough I/O
    & a means to mix down ?