Help a lefty (me) find a LP substitue

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by diogoguitar, Dec 29, 2017.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Junior Member

I own a 2009 LP Traditional and I really love its sound and sustain, but its weight and ergonomics kill me. Note: I'm lefty.
    I was thinking about getting a 2018 LP Standard High Performance (HP), but I think the listing price is just out of whack ($3,629)... way too much for a non-custom model.
    Also, I don't really like the looks (it doesn't have the pickup rings and the sunburst is half finished).

Anyhow, what would you recommend?
    The guitar MUST have
    - Belly cut ("tummy cut")
    - A reasonable heel access (like the Les Paul HP)
    - The other typical les paul features like fixed bridge, mahogany body and neck
    - 24.75" scale
    - must be lefty

I'm essentially looking for American or Japanese guitars, but I'm flexible if there is something high quality from elsewhere.

Thanks!

2. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Finding the perfect guitar is going to be hard to find within those specs that are left-handed. The only thing that springs to mind to me is the Yamaha SG1000 (the 1500, 2000 and 3000 have neck-thru but it doesnt matter because its a thick body that with great double-cutaway fret access anyway). It has a tummy cut, 24.75" scale, and is of fantastic quality. They do use a pancake body design (think norlin-era les pauls) and the stock pickups are pretty rubbish, in my opinion. AND these things are monsterishly heavy.

Most high-end Japanese Les Paul manufacturers are true to the traditional design. You might find one with better heel access but it's going to be tough to find a proper Les Paul-like design with a tummy cut.

I'm sure I've seen guitars with specs like the ones you've listed, but I've never really taken interest in them. Belly cuts and shaved heels / neck-thru are typically associated with shredder guitars. I'd look at offerings from PRS; there might be offerings available from ESP.

diogoguitar likes this.