HELP: 2007 R9 hard to play ! What setup needed ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by depuis1899, Dec 4, 2017.

1. depuis1899

depuis1899 Senior Member

Hello fellow LesPaul lovers,

I'm in need of advice as you can imagine from the title.
    I recently been lend a 2007 R9 which looks and sounds killer, but is very hard to play compared to my other ones. Backup on the guitar's story: bought new in 2008 by someone who was most probably drunk and has played 3 chords on it. Lend to someone else for roughly 7 years and has made maybe 2 gigs ( roughly 10 hours of playtime in total ). Now she's with me, basically new, but in 'horrible' condition. Fretboard very dry, neck not set up at all, action just above the Eiffel Tower: not playable at all. So I straightened the neck, lowered the action, set up the intonation, put lemon oil on the fretboard, polished her etc. Strings are 10-46 EB's wrapped around the tailpiece. But compared to my other 2007 R9 and 1998 R8 she's really stiff for some reason and I'm kind of out of options right now.
    My 2007 R9 plays fantastically, also with 10-46 EB's wrapped around. The R8 has 9.5 GHS's not wrapped around.
    Any suggestions what I could do to improve the playability of that new R9 ? She sounds fantastic unplugged, so it would be a shame bringing her back to the actual owner and store her in the case for years again...
    Here's a picture of the 3 ( the one on the right needs help )

Thanks for helping out :) ( and sorry if I posted in the wrong section, wasn't sure if here or Custom Shop )

[​IMG]

2. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Every guitar is a little different. You can't setup one guitar to be like another that plays well and expect the same results. I would suggest taking it to someone to do a proper setup. They will either be able to set it up so that it plays the way you want or will be able to find the reason it doesn't. Good luck. Nice stable BTW.

Cheers Peter.

depuis1899 likes this.
  3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

I suggest that if you take the guitar in question to someone, you also take along the other one that has the same strings, as an example for comparison.
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

depuis1899 likes this.
  4. pbekkerh

pbekkerh Senior Member

>she's really stiff for some reason .............
    >Any suggestions what I could do to improve the playability of that new R9

For your own sake and for better answers here, please analyse what concrete problems you have.
    "Stiff" and "low playability" are just words, what is better on the other guitars?

After that, you and we can start suggesting what could be done.

There are a limited amount of variables on a guitar and after what you have been doing, assuming it's done right, I would suspect the nut is too high. many people ignore the nut setup and if too high, it's much more difficult to play, especially in the lower 5 bands.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

^^^^^ Mouthfuls of truths, right there! ^^^^^ Especially the reference to the nut. While a properly cut nut is one of the more important and critcal aspects of a good setup, it is one of the most ignored and/or neglected. One needs to look closely at the geometry of the whole of what's going on to understand why this is so. You may want to measure/check/compare the nut heights of both guitars in question, even just visually, by fretting each string between the second and third fret and noting how much distance there is between the first fret and the string. It should be minimal, as in 0.010" or less.
    Just My $.02 & Likely Due For A Price Check,
    Gene

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    depuis1899 likes this.