Hello from SE Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NorlinBlackBeauty, Oct 29, 2017.

1. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Greetings,

I'm an owner of a used Norlin Black Beauty LP Custom since 1976. It was a bit rough when I first got it at 15. As many 15 year olds do, I was less than kind to my dream guitar (Jimmy Page had a few, I needed what he had) not knowing any better. Played fairly consistently for 8 years or so and stopped.

Tried to rekindle in the early 90s, went nowhere. Same in the late 90s. Played bass guitar in a band at that time. Suffered from guitar envy.

In 2003 I went nearly all acoustic when I traded in my bass gear for a new Martin D-16GT. Always wanted a Martin. Not the model I really wanted, but close enough. 2 years or so later, lost interest once again.

In 2015 I got the Martin model I really wanted, a new HD-28. Have not looked back since and added a new D12-28 12 string a year ago. It's going pretty well this time out. Think I might stick with it.

I knew at some point I'd dig out the LP and see about having another go with that. That was this week. Took off all of the hardware and gave it a cleaning it never got before now that I know how to do so properly.

I'm no stranger to internet forums - been at this one for over 13 years: ClubWRX dot net (edited link out so this post finally is visible ...

Hopefully that was not too wordy ... I'll see you out there ... :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    BadMojo and ramaglia375 like this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

:welcome:

Hi! I just saw your posts on the other thread!

Nice gear!

It's ok if you post some more :photos: in here for those that won't see them in the other thread!

Feed the bears! its all good! :thumb:

Enjoy your stay! :cheers:

3. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

This is the thread I meant as my intro. I had a hyperlink to my profile page on ClubWRX and it was not visible until moderator approval.

I normally use flickr links for posting, bit seems any link must get mod approval. :/

The media features on this site are very convenient especially for novices, but I prefer just to link what is already out there. Old dog (me), new tricks ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    BadMojo and ramaglia375 like this.
  4. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

5. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Welcome to the MLP :)

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

:welcome:

Welcome to MLP :applause:

Love that balck beautie :thumb:

7. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

welcome to the forum.

8. ShawnM

ShawnM Member

I was expecting a basket case after reading your first post. Guitar looks great, very nice.

Welcome

9. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Thanks! It did clean up nice, but has a major battle scar ... It was dropped on its headstock twice.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/have-you-ever-dropped-your-ax-i-have.400625/

It badly needs professional fretwork as well. Until then, I'm playing the Martins most of the time.

10. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

There we go ... finally got my sig where it should be. :D

11. hazmat7719

hazmat7719 Premium Member

12. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Welcome. That's a beautiful LP, so fortunate that you hung onto it even though your interests went in other directions. Too many of us let great guitars like that get away, and still regret it.

Hope you enjoy it in here, it's a pretty cool place.

13. BadMojo

BadMojo MLP Vendor

Welcome!

SE Pennsylvania.. you are in my neck of the woods.

Love the Black beauty!

14. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

I was always hopeful I'd have another go at it at some point, so here it is. I'm not one to part with stuff easily. The problem is that the LP needs some professional help fret-wise - a crowning / leveling is needed. I'm also not liking the way the original Grover tuners are working, so I may swap out with something else.

The other issue is I'm really enjoying the Martin acoustics an awful lot. Pull them out of the case, maybe a minor tune and have at it. They stay in tune amazingly well. No fiddling with knobs, buttons or switches. I vary / improve the sound with my hands only. I love that simplicity and challenge.
    Thanks!

BadMojo likes this.