Hello From NY! Rescue Me Please!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Widow, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Widow

Widow Member

Yep - Oak Beach Inn South. On the south shore of L.I.

2. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Senior Member

I'm reasonably certain that the guitar is some variation of an Aria Pro II. Headstock shape, logo, position of knobs all match. There's one on local craigslist ready to play for $300, so I can't imagine one with a cracked headstock is worth much. It's a 70s era guitar.

edit: Minor correction. The one on CL is a bolt on. There are some set necks on Reverb with asking prices of $600-1000. Will they bring that? Who knows. If I had to guess, I'd say the specific model of yours was an Aria AE-350.

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/mach_1_ae/ae3xx.html

3. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Yes a bolt on, that was hidden...

usually bolt on necks are bolted from the out side with a pressure plate and four screws.

this is hidden in the pickup cavity to give te illusion to the unsuspecting buyer that it is a set (glued) neck like a Gibson....

I can cuncur with the findings above that this is an Aria...

Get through your phases of grief its OK to be angry.

All the best.

4. CosmicCowboy

I don't know. From the Arias I've seen I don't think it was a hidden bolt on. I wonder if whatever might have cracked the headstock didn't knock the set neck loose and this was an attempt to fix that.

Either way, I think the value of this guitar is pretty low. Hang it on the wall in memory.

1 person likes this.
  5. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

On a "bolt on" neck guitar, The body and neck are 2 separate finished pieces. Typically there are 4 screws and metal plate on the outside rear of the guitar over the "neck pocket" that are used to join the neck and body together like this.

[​IMG]

6. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Go look at the photos on the other thread...there are screws or bolts of some kind in the pick up cavity....? Looks odd to me

7. chasenblues

I have, Did you see post's #33 and 34?

8. CosmicCowboy

Didn't even realize there was another thread. Well damn, I was a day late.

But still right. :slash:

9. chasenblues

I don't know...If repaired

1)Pay to have the neck break fixed to make it a playable memento.

2)Pay to have the neck break fixed with the idea of selling it after the repair,Hoping to make back the cost of the repair...Plus extra $$.

#1 sound's more realistic to me..

If there wasn't a neck break how much would of of these go for?

1 person likes this.
  10. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

11. chasenblues

Also just noticed this,
    4 tuners missing their bushings/washer's and 2 have what looks to be flat washers?

[​IMG]

12. CosmicCowboy

Good eye. Completely missed that.

13. Widow

Widow Member

We are getting Closer! Looks like an Aria and/or Bradley stock (I'm starting to learn the parts!) Now I am wondering if it is a lawsuit model. These Aria's and Bradley's are only worth around $500 in good condition so I guess I am keeping the guitar as wall art. I am also guessing that the 2 screws inside the pickup well are called bolts. And from what i read bolts are less desirable. And I can see why as the wood is cracked around the bolt. I just don't understand why there is no name on the stock.

14. Widow

Widow Member

Oh my goodness! Good catch Chasenblues. Thank you! If I am going to use this for wall art I want it to look good. I will get some things cleaned up. Anything else!

15. Widow

Widow Member

This guitar was never repaired. He didn't know it was busted! It has been in a hard case and moved several times. If it was dropped while in the case and the wood was dry, which it was, than the cracks are understandable. The area where the "bolts" are is also glued.

16. Widow

Widow Member

I just found more pics of Aria's. It's definitely an Aria. And some stocks don't have washers! But why isn't there a name at the top???

I am beginning to hate this guitar. It's a weird mystery from the minute my husband said "My Les Paul should bring you some money." I could kick myself for not asking him what he was talking about and making him show me the guitar.

17. Widow

Widow Member

OK it looks like I have an Aria AE-350 with an AE-325 stock. Since these are "custom" I am guessing hubby ordered it specifically that way. Would this be a "lawsuit" LP?

18. Widow

Widow Member

Thank you all...again, for the wonderful education in guitars. A neighbor passed away a year before my husband. I just found out his daughter has all his guitars in storage. I will talk to her about the guitars with my new found knowledge.

19. chasenblues

It can't be a AE-350 with an 325 stock..If you read the specs on this linked page its says the 325 has a "Detachable" neck(a "Bolt on" and no those 2 screw's on the inside of that pickup route aren't bolts ) the 350 has a "Built in" (a "set or glued in neck").

Aria Mach 1 Series

Also was there any other parts for the guitar inside side the case?

In your picture's its missing it's Bridge and tail piece, They look like this.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Widow

Widow Member

The bridge!! That's what that thing is called. (James Brown "Can't find the bridge") Yes, I have them. What is weird is that I also have a Gibson leaflet as well. So, I definitely have an AE-350 but the 325 emblem was added to the stock and the Aria name was not put on.