Hello From NY! Rescue Me Please!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Widow, Jun 11, 2015.

1. JorNak

JorNak Senior Member

If it was your husband's i would keep it.

4 people like this.
  2. Widow

Widow Member

Yes, I think I will keep it. I don't even need to get it fixed since the break is in the back. Thanks for your help. Goodnight!

4 people like this.
  3. JorNak

JorNak Senior Member

No problem.

2 people like this.
  4. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Robert W. Matherson?

"Scandal at the Oak Beach Inn: Political Corruption Vs. Long Island's Hottest Nightclub"

1 person likes this.
  5. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, I am glade you made it. Yes get it fixed for historical reasons or keep it. Learn to play, we did and everyone is thrilled. You may have to mail it for proper repairs. I am also sorry for your loss. I lost two wives by taxi cab. They went off looking for mr normal. Mr wright did not go over so well.

2 people like this.
  6. Widow

Widow Member

Yep! That's the book! They don't mention the band. The band name was "Savannah."

1 person likes this.
  7. chasenblues

I can see you're seeking help in those area's,But can i assume you're from Long Island? Maybe still have family in the area?

These names come from the linked sub-forum below.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New York

Copiague
    Mirabella Guitars, 631-842-3819 Mirabella Guitars

Lake Ronkonkoma
    Ed Clark Guitars, (631) 738-8181 Ed Clark Guitars, Expert Guitar Repair Vintage Guitar Restoration Services. Masterful lutherie services for all fretted instruments.

Massapequa
    Matt Helvick (MLP Member xsouldriverx)
    Helvick Guitars
    (516) 286-1216
    HelvGuitars@gmail.com
    Setups, Repairs and Custom work--Discount for MLP Members!

Brooklyn
    Guitar and Amp Wellness Center, (718)369-7080 Amp&Guitar.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe make a post in this sub-forum asking for recommendations?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7063648

1 person likes this.
  8. Widow

Widow Member

KevinPaul - Thank YOU! Actually, I took guitar lessons from age 10 until age 20 than I gave up. At age 30 I married a guitar man! He played at our wedding with the band (after we were married). Yes, anyone who can actually play that beast called a guitar is not normal. You must be a genius. To be married to a genius who plays the guitar takes a special person - who is just as "not normal." I have had people tell me I will never find anyone who "works" with me like my husband. We had a special connection. Our life had lots of interesting features. I guess I should write a book. But first I have to get his guitar fixed and his boat sold. Can I sell a boat on a guitar forum? (LOLOLOL!)

1 person likes this.
  9. Widow

Widow Member

Chasenblues!! - Oh My goodness! You guitar players are really amazing. You are geniuses. Thank you !! I am from Farmingdale. I will go to Long Island. I am there every week. Which one would be best for wood work? The neck is cracked. I think it's down into the wood. Obviously not stored well.

1 person likes this.
  10. chasenblues

I'm Born and raised on LI..Currently in West Babylon:wave:

I have no personal experience with the name's i posted so i can't give you first hand info.

Looking at the pic's of the back of the neck it appear's to be a fairly common type of a break for the guitar.(Look's like it fell or was dropped at some point in its life).

I would call one of the first three(Or get estimate's from all 3) since they're basically all in Suffolk County, Just explain you have a guitar with a neck break and would like to get an estimate on a possible repair..Then after you have it looked at you can make your decision on if its worth the money to make it playable again or to just keep it as a memento or "Wall Hanger".

My sister's husband who was a player passed away a year ago and she still hasn't decided what to do with his stuff.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I see, I didn't understand the full story,

If it means something to you then get it fixed and keep it as a family heirloom.

There probably isn't much value to a collector.

I researched the "Sears" Models and they were a bolt on neck.

If this is a build from a local luthier, it might be worth looking for a hallmark of some kind.

I am sorry for your loss....

1 person likes this.
  12. Widow

Widow Member

I am still having difficulties communicating here. The silly icons are annoying.

13. Widow

Widow Member

Sct13 - Thank you. It is not bolt on. It is solid, like an artistic wood carving, which is a concern with the repair of the neck. I am cautious with people because there are so many scams out there. I'm afraid someone will tell me it's not worth anything so they can steal it, which is why I will keep it if I'm told it's not worth anything. To be continued!

2 people like this.
  14. Widow

Widow Member

Thank you Chasen! Too many young guys are dying over the past 2years. Strange and scary. My sympathies to you and your sister for the loss of your guitar man. You should see the vintage midi studio and other equipment I have been left. It fills a room!

1 person likes this.
  15. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

First off, very sorry for your loss.

Is that The Oak Beach Inn?? I remember hearing radio ads for them back in the '80's.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

Native Brooklynite checking in. (Family in Massapequa & Port Jeff) I'm sorry for your loss, Widow.

As far as the repair, member XSoulDriverX hasn't been on the boards since January, though I'm sure Matt would at least give you sound advice.

I'll look around and see if I can find reputable shops near you.

Here's Matt's info; Helvick Guitars
    Massapequa, N.Y. Matt Helvick
    (516) 286-1216
    HelvGuitars@gmail.com

1 person likes this.
  17. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

I forgot SGLou, he's in Jersey, right across the Outerbridge from Staten Island. stmoritzguitars@hotmail.com

Here's a shop in Ronkonkoma; Ed Clark Guitars, (631) 738-8181

18. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

"DGN Custom Guitars - Fairfield CT | 203-292-5821 dan@dgncustomguitars.com

1 hour from NYC.

Repair and Restoration of New and Vintage Stringed Instruments. Everything from Guitar Bass Banjo Mandolin to Violins Double Basses etc.

Setups, Electronics, Crack Repair, Seam separations, Fretwork, Custom Guitar Work

Full pricing on my website. PM or Email for more info."

Hope this helps.

2 people like this.
  19. Widow

Widow Member

Hey Sct13 - about the bolt-on neck. As we can see in the pics, after removing the pickups, there are two screws in the well holding down a piece of wood (which is cracked). Is that what is meant by "bolt on?" I guess this guitar sounded like $#!+ with the crack in that piece of wood. This guitar is such a mystery to me. I am pissed at my husband. He caused me many dilemma's with his death. Have a great day!

20. Widow

Widow Member

Bingo! This is near by. I will call him today. Thank you!