Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by subtonicglare, Mar 3, 2015.

1. subtonicglare

subtonicglare Junior Member

I'm new here and looking for some help with purchasing a Les Paul. I had a 77 Standard Tobacco Sunburst from the time I was about 14 to 23. I want another one but I'm skeptical to buy from ebay or other online sites. Also, I remember that I had to have it refretted; I figure that will be a future expense added to the cost of a vintage.

I really miss the tone. However, I've been reading up and noticed the Signature T thread on this site. I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Another person told me that the Les Paul Classic would be a good choice. Unfortunately, I'm not close to a local store that carries them.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Fritz44

Fritz44 Senior Member

Welcome to MLP brother. :) oh please don't feed the locals and watch out for stray cats :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  3. subtonicglare

Thanks. Nice Av, I suppose I should find one.

4. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

Why should you have it refretted? I've bought many used guitars and never needed to refret at the purchase.
    Personally I would try to find a local '77 or similar. I prefer them over new Classic or Signature T.
    Whatever you do don't buy new.

Welcome!

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

eBay and Craigslist are fine, just be cautious and make sure everything checks out. You can even post pictures on here to get more opinions on if a guitar you find is legitimate or not. The shape the frets when looking at older LPs will vary I'm sure. You could find some where they are in great shape.

Is there anything in particular in a Les Paul you are looking for or looking to avoid? That may help narrow down models.

6. subtonicglare

Thanks for the advice. I wore the frets off of my LP--it wouldn't play on some of the frets. So i figured the other 70 models are probably worn also. I found a couple online that had good looking (original) frets. I'd rather not have a refretted one; I had my frets replaced with jumbo frets and it never felt the same.

One thing I'm picky about is the neck. I have cubital tunnel and the fatter the neck the more the pain. I bought an Ibanez with a wizard neck but I hate floating tremolos. Also, the back of the neck needs to be flawless (no nicks). That, and of course the weight, is my main concern.

7. subtonicglare

Oh, and how do I make sure that everything checks out? Is there a way to confirm the serial number? Also, I noticed a deluxe / standard conversion. Are all Les Pauls stamped "deluxe" with the larger pickups conversions?

8. GuitarFace

GuitarFace Senior Member

Welcome. You might like the Traditional model. They are pretty nice.

9. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

Welcome aboard.

10. subtonicglare

I thought the Traditional models had the fatter 50s neck?

11. SkaneatelesLake

SkaneatelesLake Senior Member

They do. I am in the Signature "T" camp. The nicest guitar you can get and has the 60's neck, 57 pickups, AA top, and can't be beat. I prefer it over the Trad and even the Standard. But, you will gets tons of opinions on here. Listen to them all, the guys on here are brilliant! Welcome aboard and may your GAS be nothing but fun and pleasant! Cheers! :wave:

1 person likes this.
  12. tzd

tzd Senior Member

You should check out the Traditional Pro II model, comes in 50s and 60s neck variants. Vintage Sunburst is 60s neck (same profile as Signature T). It's more of a player's guitar. If you get a Sig T, be aware the fingerboard is Granadillo not Rosewood.

13. subtonicglare

Yeah I'm really glad I found this site. I've been reading quite a bit and now I'm itchin to play a Signature T. I've also heard good things about the Classic Custom.

1 person likes this.
  14. subtonicglare

What's the difference? I'm not very educated with LPs or any other guitar. I just like to play them and study music.

15. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

:wave: and welcome to the MLPF!

If you're looking to buy used, Gibson Customer Service can verify the serial number for you.

Good luck in your search and :cheers:

16. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Granadillo is orangey and wormy.

17. SkaneatelesLake

SkaneatelesLake Senior Member

Oh baloney, it is not.

4 people like this.
  18. tzd

tzd Senior Member

It is to me, OP should decide for himself if he'll like it. I don't.

19. Fritz44

Fritz44 Senior Member

My baloney is orangey and wormy:shock:

3 people like this.
  20. stgreg

stgreg Senior Member

My first Guitar was a 76 Deluxe. If you're looking for an actual '77 Standard, they are out there. Ones that have been lightly played and no refretting, refins, etc.. are out there too, but (obviously) harder to find and more money. Yes, be VERY cautious with Ebay and CL. When it comes to Norlins, Gibson (in my experience) isn't always able to 100% authenticate. As for the Deluxe to Standard conversions of "back then", quite a few did that.. some (I suppose) left the Deluxe truss cover on, some swaped it out for a Standard or a blank - don't let the truss rod cover be a deciding factor. If you're now leaning towards new (or newer), the Classic has a narrow 60's neck. The Traditional Plus (Plus Top) has a 60's neck. The Trad Pro II offers a fat 50's and a less fat 60's. And, the Sig T offers a slim neck. Hope that helps.. (btw: don't buy a 2015 anything) :naughty:

PS: The Classic Custom can be a cool guitar. But from the description of what you want, I think you'd want to move away from a Classic Custom. IMO.