HELLLLLLLLLLLLP!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Flynman, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Flynman

Flynman Senior Member

So i was pressing the frets into this Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard and it went in on an angle and messed up the slot. it is to wide now. I used the fret tang tool to expand the tang but its still loose....Should i make a thin shim and glue into slot and re-saw? What kind of glue or epoxy should i use to make sure it stays in thre?? UUUGGHH FretB.jpg FretB2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

CA glue and clamp. CA glue wicks right into the wood and sets up nice. It also sands off quite easily.

I put thin tang fret wire in a wider slot and clamped and ran CA glue in the end. You can’t do that with the binding but it should work fine. Maybe a medium / thicker CA glue to fill the gap.

Also CA should release with heat if you need to take it out down the road.

Cheers Peter.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

What Peter said.
    or
    flood the slot with thin CA, after it cures recut the slot with your fret saw. Now the tangs will have some real purchase.

kasu, archey, Flynman and 3 others like this.
  4. Flynman

Flynman Senior Member

Ok FreddyG PShupe I cleaned up the slot and made sure i had enough depth...Then i flooded the slot to the top with #20 CA glue. Then cut the fret to size and used the Fret tang crimper to expand the tangs slightly and pressed it in. Seems like it grabbed! I will let it sit for several hours before going any further. Thanks for the Replies!!

Thank you,
    Keith R