Helix / Variax does The Doobie Bros.!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by drew365, Jul 20, 2017.

1. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

John McFee is a convert. Pretty cool. It's spreading like wild fire.
    I may buy my third Variax tonight. I'm having trouble justifying a normal guitar purchase lately. This next Variax will take the place of a new LP I almost bought a week ago. I couldn't sell myself on why I needed an LP, but had no trouble selling myself on the Variax. I'm in hook, line and sinker.
    The Variax / Helix portion starts about 14 minutes in to the video.

MusicLaw, bulletproof, Donal and 5 others like this.
  2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Which one, JTV-59 or Standard?

3. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

A JTV-69S. I'll put a Warmouth 24.75 conversion neck on it with ss frets, and probably a wizard profile. I like having it my way. That'll hold me over till the next generation Variax is released.

PierM likes this.
  4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Don't you have a 69 already?

I would love to have a new one with EMG pickup models. And they should really build wireless into the Variax and Helix.

5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Love my JTV59 and love my Helix. The acoustic guitar tones and the alt tunings are priceless!

Donal likes this.
  6. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I have a JTV69 HSS with 25.5" scale, as well as a JTV89F.
    My fingers are getting old and I'm starting to play more with my thumb behind the neck, ala Guthrie Govan. I'm going to use this next Variax to see if 24.75" scale and thin profile will suit this style of play and ease the soreness in my hands and fingers. It's the cheapest way for me to experiment, check all the right boxes, and have a guitar that really suits my rig.
    A lot of guys would love to have wireless with their Variax. It can be done now through the 1/4" cable out, and you can have the models and tuning options. But not the VDI cable that connects and gives you more options with the Helix. They say the cost to make the VDI connection wireless, would be pretty expensive. I've gotten lazy and I program everything into my Helix patches and barely touch anything on the guitar when I play. I'm willing to use a cable to maintain that.

7. tzd

tzd Senior Member

That will be a cool experiment!

Exactly, having wireless VDI would be da bomb. My problem with the VDI cable is that I have gone through 3 of those cables, and they are not very reliable. I get unpredictable intermittent signal drops. Sometimes it will be perfect for weeks or months, but then it will happen just the week before my gig and I have to go into the gig with fingers crossed. I don't dare to play through my VDI cables anymore, and that probably made it easier when I upgraded my HD500X to go with AX8 instead of Helix because of that.

8. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Interesting. I bought the Line 6 VDI cable and haven't had a problem with it for about a year. I'm pretty rough with it too. I have a backup just in case, but I've never needed it and I've never experienced a signal drop. But, as loud as my band plays, I'd be hard pressed to know if I had a signal drop.

9. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

all, very, very cool.

10. tzd

tzd Senior Member

You will know when it happens. No sound! Sometimes a wiggle and you get the sound back. Sometimes not; change to another cable and everything works, and a week later, plug the bad cable back in and it works again.

I believe it's the bad design choice of using RJ-45 connectors (the same as Ethernet) as these connectors are not designed to be subject to movement and stress. If you have crimped a RJ-45 connector before you will know what I mean - each of the 8 tiny cable inside is connected to the contact point by just a tiny bit of metal piercing through its insulation with nothing else to hold the connection securely in place. And the Neutrik shell around the connector does not allow me to easily re-crimp the connector.

11. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

This gives me GAS.

PierM likes this.
  12. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

They also did a great performance at Classic West several weeks ago.