Helix update stupid question

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pop1655, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I get doing the update gives you more options to create some better sounds,
    but was there anything in the update that would have made what you already had sound better???

I was gone to a conference for a few days. Did the update first thing when I got home. Fired her up and was blown away at how good it sounded. Wondering if I was just homesick and had missed her or if I unknowingly picked up an unexpected upgrade?

2. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

An entirely valid question! Line 6 continually makes optimizations and improvements with each update release. These are in addition to any expressly stated new features and bug fixes mentioned in the Release Notes.

3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

This has been mentioned before, after previous Helix firmware updates. One guy on the Line 6 forum or maybe The Gear Page felt this way, so he did a quick test.

I think I am remembering this correctly...

He recorded a guitar track into his DAW with the patch he believed sounded better. Next, he rolled back the firmware on his Helix to a previous version, and "re-amped" the same guitar track through the same patch (but with the older firmware).

Then, he recorded them to two separate tracks and made one out of phase. Upon playback the guitar track was inaudible, which is what happens when two identical tracks are out of phase with each other.

So the takeaway from that particular example was there was no change in tone from one firmware to the next.

4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Wow. Cool read. Thanks.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  5. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Late to this discussion but that's the way I'd hope Firmware updates would go. i.e. no change to existing tones.

We all know tone is subjective and someone else's "better", would no doubt be someones "total crap".

I'd hate for the tones I'd dialed in over time to change based on a firmware update.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  6. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Helix Firmware version 2.54 was released yesterday. See the Release Notes on Line 6's Download page. Along with other Fixes, the Mono Verbs issue has been fixed (although not expressly mentioned in the Release Notes).