Helix Native??

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mmd, Sep 1, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I am going to be producing/engineering a band's debut album in a few weeks. In one of our prepro meetings the guitarists mentioned how they like the tone of my Helix and are interested in exploring more "sounds" than they have available via their amps (Marshall DSL40C, Carvin V3 2x12). I had them play around with the Helix a bit in my studio and they are pumped....

Initially I wasn't going to get Native, but since it's only $99 for me, I am thinking it's the way to go with this upcoming project. I figure we'll track DI and have each guy use a "generic" rig, then fine tune and re-amp as the project moves into the mixing stage. This brings me to my question...

Is anybody here using Helix Native yet? While I understand each studio has it's own unique parameters based on the system and DAW, I am curious if anybody is finding it to be a drain on their system.

Any info/experience that can be provided would be appreciated. I am on Helix Forum too, and it seems ot be a lot of trouble-shooting/general belly-aching, so I am asking here first, lol....

frankv likes this.
  2. jchrisf

jchrisf Senior Member

If you visit that other forum where all they talk about is gear they are all over it in every way imaginable as usual. I don't know much about it but I did read that it did not tax the computer system very much at all. Apparently, it is pretty lightweight (in a good way) compared to other plugins/software.

3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool. Thanks!

4. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I haven't felt the need to buy it so far, but I figure that eventually I will. I'm also laying the ground work for some serious band recording in the near future, and I figure Native will be of some help. For $99 it would be foolish not to have it available. I just can't wrap my head around not having snapshots. I know they say that Native eventually will get them. But snapshots are such a big part of how I use Helix, that I feel like not having them will affect Native's usefulness, until they implement them. I think that's part of the reason I didn't jump on it like everyone else. I don't have much time to just play with something unless it's going to open some doors for me. I just got a C9 organ pedal that I'll be playing with this weekend, putting it in a Helix loop. I hope to be opening some sweet sounding doors with it.

5. saks

saks Premium Member

I'm using it. I have used 4 instances at once with zero issues. Others have used more. I haven't found the need yet. As long as I don't change the level of the dry guitar it sounds so close to the floor that I can't tell the difference. But then I have old ears...

You can download the 15 day trial to test it out first.

It's all going to come down to the computer it's running on.
    This is mine for reference.
    Win7/64
    ProTools 12
    i7-3930 @ 4.0GHz
    32 GB Ram

Here is some instructions on optimizing win7 (I'm sure they have other OS instructions ):
    https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-7/

I would try the 'Change Processor Scheduling' on both foreground and background and see what works best for you.

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I have it installed on my laptop with no issues at all.

I installed sonar home studio DAW (as Native does not run standalone "yet") and it works fine with it.

I must say I only use it as a test guitar effect, basiaclly no functions from Sonar, no recording etc.

7. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I use to track this way using POD farm, and I can tell you it is an AMAZING way to record, as long as you can get them to commit to a guitar sound. The thing I found was having the ability to completely change the guitar setup all the way up until the final mix, resulted in me second guessing and saying, "hmm I wonder how it would sound if I used a rectifier instead of a jcm800?" So alot of time what I would do is send that channel to another track and record the effected signal, that way I had a hard copy, then I could experiment on the di track and listen side by side to different rigs. if that makes any sense at all.. lol I just woke up so i might not being explaining what I mean clearlyu