Helix Native Trial - hmmmmm...

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by ttbit, Dec 25, 2017.

1. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Hey Helix Users!,

I am a regular user of the AX8 and the Bias FX plugin. I decided to download the trial of Helix Native, as I had a few days off, for a change. I am not liking most of the presets. They are sounding "bad" to me, which I know is not the experience for most. Was wondering if anyone had any good Marshall tone to share for me to try out? Also, my IRs are Fractal based, so I don't really have any to see if that fixes what I am experiencing.

I wanted to give it a real tryout. I now have a computer that is not glitchy with this stuff.

When I add a bunch of effects, it sounds OK (like about every demo I see), but I would like to get a good crunch amp sound, dry. Also, the metal sounds are fine to me. Just the crunch amps sound like they need massive help. I had to keep making sure I wasn't on the neck pickup. Tried 3 different guitars too!

Isn't Native supposed to be the same modeling as the hardware units?

Every year or so, I like to experiment with new things, so... :)

2. KenG

KenG Senior Member

The modelling is supposed to be the same but now you also have to rely on your audio interface to workwith native because you don't have helix hw.
    The sound of helix is different from fractal ,not better not worse, just different . You can say tbe same comparing to a kemper. Which you prefer is really just personal taste and what one you have become used to.
    Doyou have the 2.3 release amps/effects?

3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Did you perform high and low cuts in the cab block or on a separate eq block? If not, it will sound like sh!t.

Try the Derailed Ingrid amp and cab block. In the cab block, set the low cut to 100 and the high cut to 7K as a starting point. Want more gain? Put a Kinky boost distortion block in front of the amp. It should sound pretty damn good without having to tweak too much.

4. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I have a Focusrite 2i4 gen 2 that I am using for everything. Fresh build of Win 10 with latest drivers. I am using the latest version of Native, as I just downloaded it. I bought this PC for just this type of thing. Plenty of power, ram and ssd.

I setup the low and high cut like I do on my AX8. That was the first thing I did as you are correct. It makes a huge difference on all of these!

One thing I found is that I had to cut the amp gain WAY down and put a pedal in front of it. That made the Marshall sound more like what I am used to. It is really close to the Bias FX plugin at this point. I was hearing what sounded like everything massively peaking. Like it was hard-chopping the wave down at low frequencies. Once I made it more clean and glassy sounding, it was usable with the pedals.

Rocco, I setup the Derailed as you suggested. At first I thought....this is terrible! Then I set the gain to 1.4. I think stock it was around 3 million. Anyway, after that, it sounded good. I mean really good. It isn't exactly what I was looking for, but a fun one to play for sure. I saved it as a preset to play with.

So...the drive on the amp section is the first thing for me to mess with, I am finding.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  5. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

What IR's are you wanting to use that are fractal based?

6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I have no IR's, as of yet... maybe just try the stock cabs first? usually just the amp/cab combo is a good starting point.

I love the AC30 model, dimed out, with a kinky boost. using your guitar volume and the boost, you get everything from glassy clean to huge gainy sound.

7. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I've been thinking about downloading this, but I'm afraid it'll make me want a Helix even more.

8. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

OH Greenback 4x12....

9. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I just liked the simple plugin aspect of this. It is not matching my AX8 for sound, so far. AGAIN, just MY taste and opinion. Rocco's suggestion to me is killer though.

10. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I already have Amplitube 4, which is pretty decent, but I've been curious about the Helix. I hear great clips and want to actually try one. If the plugin doesn't sound the same as the hardware, that's kind of discouraging.

11. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

from the players pack?

12. saks

saks Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I've found that it sounds exactly like it...as long as the input volume stays the same as when it was recorded. I use the helix floor as the sound device for my computer so when I'm reamping with native the signal chain stays same. Helix->Matrix 1000->2 x XiTone

Of course if you listen through a different signal chain on your computer they won't sound the same but that's not on native or the helix.

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  13. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Been out of town and still trying to catch up on things and I wanted to follow up on my experience. To make it short... The main problem I was experiencing with the presets was the stock gain settings on the amps. Bringing them WAY down resulted in good sounds.

Using IRs, I was able to get some great sound and feel playing. I gravitate toward a plexi sound normally and messed with that mainly. Oddly, when playing it live, the IRs sounded and felt better to me but listening back to the recorded track, the stock cabinet sounded more "authentic". I even got a sound that I liked better than the preset on my AX8 that I created.

So....I am convinced that I can get the sounds I want from Helix native. I wasn't crazy about the interface on the plugin though, and I can get quick good sound from Bias FX for a lot less money. In the end though, it appears that the sound quality may be much better. If my family continues to want to record tracks, I am going to consider purchasing it.

My demo time was cut short due to things that came up, so I really only had less than a week to mess with it. I didn't even get to export any recorded tracks and the plugin is expired, so....

Rocco Crocco likes this.