Helix mic pre-amp / aux in question??

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pop1655, May 14, 2017.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Once again, as much as it pains me, I need to publicly display my lack of technical knowledge.
    Do the mic pre-amp and the aux in on the Helix function separately and apart from the chain and give you the option to run both (or even all three) at once???

......or are they just giving you different options to access it and use one at a time?

With big brother, providing you can deal with blending the volumes, can you use it almost like a small PA and run a signal chained guitar along with an unprocessed vocals mic and/or a mic'd acoustic, or even something else plugged into the aux in?

MusicLaw likes this.
  2. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

It's a great question Pop. I just tried it for ya. Yes you can run a guitar signal on one signal path with its own effects and run a mic or aux signal processed independently on the second path with its own FX, simultaneously.

I don't see a way currently to select both Mic and Aux for the second path its one or the other. Hope that helps.

cybermgk and Pop1655 like this.
  3. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I never tried it but it should work. It has an 8x8 channel UBS and all inputs and outputs can be assigned seperatly.

[​IMG]

There's one on-board mic preamp, but you can connect line or instrument level devices to the other inputs.

Pop1655 likes this.
  4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Thanks
    I'm working now, more later.

5. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Sounds like you're looking for a mixer Pop. I'm not sure what effects in the Helix I would use for Vocals or Aux in audio, as far as I know they are meant guitar and Bass primarily, so I'm not sure why anyone would run them in there to begin with.
    If you need to pass other signals into your FRFR which is certainly something that can happen, I would invest in a small mixer. Then it could take your LT output and whatever other signals you want and route them to the Amp/speakers for reproduction. This would allow your Helix patches and everything else to stay separated until they NEED to be combined. It would reduce processing demands on the Helix reserving them for the guitar, those patches would be less complex to setup as well, and allow you to tweak the other signals levels independently on the mixer and even balance all sources there relative to each other if needed. For less Than $300 you could get a decent Mackie with Mic pre-amp, Line (aux level) inputs etc.

6. tzd

tzd Senior Member

There are four signal paths in the Helix. You can totally plug your mic into one path that flows directly the output, another path for your backing track flowing directly to the output, and a separate path for your guitar that goes through an effects chain to the output, with the output connected to a StageSource/PA speaker for a self-contained one-man band show.

Pop1655, Donal and AllTheSound like this.
  7. AllTheSound

I just tried what you said you are correct sir! that is so cool! The routing flexibility is astounding on this thing! I'm still fumbling my way around, still so much to learn. Thanks for the info man!

Pop1655 likes this.
  8. KenG

KenG Senior Member

So in effect in this description the Helix is just acting as a mixer more or less. But for this work if i understand it correctly all those inputs have to be setup (connected/programmed) in every single patch where you want them? TO me sounds like a lot of work to do in the Helix that a simple mixer will do without any extra programming or special patches.:hmm:

9. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Yes that is correct. It's the same thing with the AX8 (though more limited number of inputs) that's why I run my backing track directly to the second input of my K8 speaker's built-in mixer, instead of trying to pipe it through the AX8 and having to set up a path for each preset that I use.

10. Donal

Exactly.

It really only makes sense to do it if you want to add effects to the Mic like in my picture above.

Setting up a "pass through" mic would only take a min per preset but that would be to much work for me.

11. Donal

beaten by seconds :doh:

12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I think another consideration is eq'ing and feedback on mics. Running them separate from the Modeller lets you handle them like any other mixer input (levels, panning, tone control, eq etc) all without affecting the Modeller tweaked for the guitar. I noticed as well That Mackie's prices on their analog mixers are really low now! $100 gets you something that'll do the job these days if you're just looking for the basics and a handfull of inputs.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  13. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Yes, Pop, the Floor and Rack Helix versions providie Two Guitar Inputs (Main and Aux), Mic XLR Input, and 4 FX Returns. These may all be used as desired.

The first three are available only for selecton via the Input Block. As Helix has 4 Signal Paths (each Stereo) there are many configurations possible. Many of these are found as examples in the factory Templates Setlist in each build of the firmware.

Also, the Output Blocks of each Signal Path are very versatile as to how each may be configured as to where the output of each Signal Path may be routed. There's also the USB options and S/PDIF.

Additional I/O options in the midst of any of the signal paths are available using the FX Send and Return Blocks.

Overall, Helix's extemely flexible signal routing and very easy on board editing makes creating a new Preset a breeze! Editing existing Presets is also done in mere seconds. Saving a Preset as your own Template, is the way to avoid having to redo any configuration you use often. Once you save your Template, simply copy it to a new Preset and begin from there adding to what you already had configured in your Template.

Many may feel it more desirable to use a separate mixer for its dedicated capabilities. There is nothing wrong with doing so! Helix can serve as your hub, and is just as purposeful in a blended system with one or several mixers. The choice of best most practical configuration is entirely up to what best suits your needs and preferences.

Once you get to know Helix's available on board resources, using any combination of it's capabilites can be very fast.

14. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Ken, you make the most sense and are using the best logic. I don't argue a word you say.
    Just really trying to discover possibilities, plus I'm known to do some McGyvering. I'll give you the example that had me thinking.
    I was at a banquet the other night that had "entertainment" on the program. A really clean low volume electric, an acoustic and one guy singing. Like a five song, 20 minute set in a small hall with maybe 100 people. Just got to wondering if they had shown up with a helix and two monitors if they could have pulled it off.

I've already concluded the LT is going back for big brother. The answer to this doesn't have any effect on that decision. Just wondering what else besides the obvious I might be picking up. I am the perfect candidate for the LT. I was correct is claiming it would do everything I need.
    I love it. The LT is a great piece. I love it so much that I'm now convinced Helix is what I want, so I want to go all in.

MusicLaw likes this.
  15. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Hey Pop it's your money and your decision to make! You'll get scribble scripts on the big brother and a beefier chassis and expression pedal too along with the extra inputs you may want to have.
    My budget won't allow me to go that big, I can buy an LT and Alto TS210 for under 1700 CAD but the Helix here is 2000 CAD alone! How are you liking the tones so far? Are you using the FRFR and sticking to Helix CABs/IRs and just tweaking the models? Are you up to at least 2.20 FW or 2.21?

16. AllTheSound

Those lil Mackie mixers are great. I've had my 1202-VLZ Pro running 24/7 in my home studio for the last 8 years. The only time its been off is when we have lost power. It's quite & rock solid. Your right it's definitely more practical to use a small mixer in most cases. In a pinch you can setup one of your signal paths in the Helix to act like a channel strip complete with gain , volume, pan , EQ, compression ect ect completely independent from your guitars signal path. Its really quick & easy to setup once you have done it a couple times you can do it in under a minute.

17. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Going back for the big one... interesting . Hahahahah.

Go get the AXE FX. Be happy forever. Of course you won't take that advice.. hahahaha

18. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Ken: like I said, the LT is a great piece. Anything it won't do, your mixer thing covers. My focusrite would do most of it.
    As far as tones, I'm still in infancy. I just know it took about a minute to find a factory preset that impressed me. I've downloaded some patches with some crazy chains and tweaked a bit. I'm not there yet, but I can see it. I'm confident it's there.
    I'm a fan of the 210 too. I should stick with what I've got. I'm just in the mood. Moved a couple of guitars I wasn't touching and reallocating into some stuff I'll actually use.

19. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Yes!
    Good choice!
    You'll also gain the very nice convenience of Helix Floor's independent headphone volume knob. And, amongst the other additional handy I/O and features, with the Helix Floor you will be entitled to the $300 discount on Helix Native, so HN will only cost you $99.

20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I think it will be a good choice for me, but the important point is that I'm making that choice based on my opinion of how great the LT is. Anybody reading this down the road thinking about an LT needs to know they're a great choice and do exactly what they're supposed to.

Donal and KenG like this.