Helix lt on the way.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Aug 20, 2017.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I made my fingers raw AND stayed up to late, day I got the Kemper, and then again when I got my Axe FX. :headbanger:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yea, my bad shoulder is sore from last night... I was just having too much fun... more fun than should be allowed with headphones on. I feel like i have yet to even scratch the surface. really amazing piece of kit. the ease of use is really top notch. my PA speaker should be in tomorrow, and my wife already gave permission to lock myself away this weekend for several hours of editing... I want to build a stand on my desk for patch building, but really, one can do some very deep editing without hooking up to a PC.

I would love to find some really good patches from someone who really knows what they are doing... to get ideas for things like hi/low pass filtering, etc...

only place I felt lost really was some of the stomp boxes... like the compressors, and reverb... I'm very familiar with them in a stomp box... 3 knobs and simple... but the interface gives you so much more detail... I'm used to reverb being 1 knob, not 5! :D

Pop1655, AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  3. cybermgk

If the Helix is anything like the axe, that's another fun rabbit hole. You have so many adjustable parameters on pedals, that you can actually design, what amounts to your own pedals. It was one big reason I added an Axe to my Kemper (and, as you say, because I can/could :) ). The parameters are like changing the circuit for the pedal.

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

exactly! I would like the option to dial a pedal back to a simpler version... the "LA Comp" for example sounded great, but I couldn't figure out the right mix that would normally just equal turning the "comp" knob up a bit...

AmpedUp likes this.
  5. saks

saks Premium Member

congratz! On the helix forum the general consensus seems to be either at the IR/Cabinet or adding Low Cut/High Cut EQ after the cab ( or anywhere that sounds good to you! ) to start with 90-100Hz Low Cut and a 5.0 to 5.5Khz High Cut and tweak from there.

Although I do this I don't have the experience in general to verify it. I think it sounds good /\o/\

AmpedUp, mdubya and Rhust like this.
  6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

excellent! that is something I need to play with, and I appreciate the starting point! yes, you cando the hi/low cut in the cab/IR or you can do it as a block after those, making it bypassable... I am floored by the functionality of this... I made a stereo patch last night with a fender twin and a ac-30, and was in clean-tone heaven... I could never have imagined such in real life.

AmpedUp, mdubya and saks like this.
  7. cybermgk

:) now you're starting to see the power and possibilities

AmpedUp, Rhust and saks like this.
  8. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yup, why do you think I went digital/modelling?! :D

AmpedUp likes this.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

That is great, Rhust! :applause:

Regarding the Alto stuff: I think the TS line is more flat response than the TX line.

I had a TX8 and it was ok on a budget, but traded it towards a QSC K8. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone with an Alto TS210 or 212. I also think I could have made the TX8 sound better with some low and hi cut fiddling. I was looking for plug and play on the QSC, but it required fiddling, too, which was frustrating for me. Ultimately, it sounds fine, but I am still looking for a plug and play solution. <<<< That may be an unreasonable want. :dunno:

I've been wanting to add the Presonus E4.5 monitors, both to experience studio monitors vs loud speakers, and because of the headphone function (need for the AX8, you eliminated that need with the LT!). Now I am thinking it would be interesting to add a second loud speaker. :hmm:

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  10. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Watch for the Presonus Eris E66's to go on sale. They are fantastic! I also started with the 4.5's, but they just didn't cut it for me as monitors.

As for your FRFR at around $800 I'd take a serious look at the Line 6 Stagesource line...

Rhust likes this.
  11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I did some reading last night and for a budget conscious guy like myself, the Behringer truth 2031a gets a ton of praise... I'm sure part of their great sound is the 8.75" woofer.... for about the price of the 3" KRK Rokits

I think either 6" or 8" studio monitors will be my next purchase.

but for a start the TX will do. if I see a deal on a TS series Alto, I'll jump on that to do a real A/B... as it was I had credit, from returning the presonus, so I wanted to use that, instead of forking over even more dough to another vendor.

I don't believe ANY solution is going to get you a perfect, straight out of the box solution... I think the filtering, etc will be needed.

I have looked at the L6 Stage source, as well as the CLR atomic wedge... but I think for my purposes, and the volume I get to play at, a PA speaker makes more sense... and since I plug straight into a PA live, should be closer to what we use live... I ALMOST got the begringer 10" PA speakers, just because that is what we use live... and they seem to sound fine. but they weren't any cheaper than the Altos which get heaps of praise.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

one thing... I think the lack of XLR input on the Presonus 4.5 SUCKS! I'd have kept them if it wasn't for that... if you want balanced you have to have TRS on the 4.5, and the helix doesn't have balanced TRS 1/4" outs... the 1/4" is unbalanced.

mdubya likes this.
  13. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

IMO, I would consider cuts of 90 to 100 a little high on the low frequencies, and 5 to 5.5k a little low on the high frequencies. It depends on the material your playing and your monitoring system. I myself normally start at 75 on the lows and 6.5 on the highs. Lows don't change much for me, but I'll often go much higher on the HPF, sometimes not even setting one and let it all come through if it adds energy to the tone. I don't like narrow mid heavy tones as much as I used to.

Rhust likes this.
  14. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

good point, I should mention I have been known to tune to C or even B at times.... but I'm mainly into the riff and rhythm, so my time above the 15th fret is limited!

but strangely prefer 24 fret guitars, for the clearer/brighter neck tone.

15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yesterday was the first run with the helix live, at church. my set was setup at home, through headphones, but a minor tweak here and there and it was great. it sounded awesome to me, but I wasn't sure how it translated to the FOH...after church, several people, pastor included, complimented the sound. they said it sounded HUGE up front. it was a wet/dry stereo patch, with a Dr. Z, set slightly dirty and a fender twin, clean, and running chorus+delay+reverb... I could have never run something like this before... the sounds were super dynamic... just switching pickup selections on the PRS 5-way could go from super clean- stratty sounds, to a pretty dirty raunch (bridge) and everywhere in between, without even touching the pedalboard. :)

yea, I'm converted.

Donal, James R, cybermgk and 3 others like this.
  16. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Sweetwater continues to amaze me in its customer service. I ordered my LT 2 weeks ago... for Labor Day they are running a special all month that includes a helix backpack ($150) with a full size helix( not available with the LT) I emailed my representative to see if he could give me a discount, as part of the promotion... he emails me back, saying that he shipped me one.. gratis!

Sweetwater is the best!

mdubya likes this.