Helix lt on the way.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

one more thing... if you are thinking about ordering one, order from sweetwater... I already mentioned they include a 2 year warranty... well, my sales rep, James, just called to thank me... they are also updating the firmware before shipment. to make sure that's not the first thing I have to worry about :) little things like that, folks... little things.

he also calls every time I order from them to make sure I'm satisfied with my purchase... even if it's a box of strings or something tiny...

cybermgk likes this.
  2. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Well there are some scenarios where this can happen. If a manufacturer quits supporting a product and new drivers are needed for a new OS, or a new editor. Yeah, nothing stops you from using the old OS, or editor, but that's not much fun. I had an Ipad 1 that I used to control my Eventide H9. But I could no longer get the free updates for the H9 without upgrading the Ipad. Anyway there's definitely a possibility of feeling boxed in with old computer code on any piece of gear. But your right it should still work as originally designed.

Rhust likes this.
  3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

exactly! you are buying hardware, but you are also buying software, and that software may tie you to a platform PC/Mac/iOS/Android etc and then they may decide to stop supporting one platform or another...

in your particular scenario, the Ipad1 was a product that even apple pretty much abandoned(not something they usually do so soon) . you can still get updates for an Ipad 2, but not the 1...

windows/mac usually does a pretty decent job of keeping software backwards compatible... even if a particular product has stopped moving forward with it...

4. James R

James R Premium Member

I don't have frfr monitors yet, I just plug my Helix into the effects loop on my amp to bypass the preamp, then use the power amp to run the Helix amp models through my 212 cab.
    Could it be better?
    I'm sure it could, but it also sounds incredible as is.
    I'll eventually go the frfr route, but for now, I'm not in a big hurry.
    The tones I'm getting right now are really, really good already.

MusicLaw and Rhust like this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I picked up a couple studio monitors for now.. a $800 frfr rig is not in the near future.

James R likes this.
  6. James R

James R Premium Member

What did you get?
    I'm thinking of doing the same.

7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Presonus Eris 4.5

8. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

That's what I have for my computer and DAW at home. I've never used them with my Helix. They sound fine for playback.

9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

They were recommended in another thread, but honestly, looking at the inputs, I'm missing something, I thought they would have xlr input...

They have 1/4" trs inputs x2, will that work with the helix, or should I return them and get a different pair that is xlr?

10. KenG

KenG Senior Member

My understanding is navigating on the Helix is souser friendly you can forego using a computer for pramming at least.

Rhust likes this.
  11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yes, I do believe you can skip the PC, but I think that can also make it slightly easier to navigate, or a little more intuitive... plus open up some really useful options

12. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

First, food thinking and logic above.

As to Crate powerblock question, my answer is sort of. I haven't used the crate poerblock. But, I have used a cheaper priced rack mounted class D SS power amp, as well as the Matrix gt1000 fx I run now. The cheaper option, was a Behringer Nuke. I didn't like it. It colored the tone weirdly.

The Matrix, however works just fine for what you want to do.

So, I think it depends on that Power Block, how it colors, and whether you want to tweak a little, if it does.

13. cybermgk

First, not one of the 'big 3' (Kemper, Axe, Helix) REQUIRES a computer interface, or software. You can do everything with just the unit. That being said, the software makes life easy, or easier in many cases.

I have yet to get into a situation, where I had a newer Computer OS, that couldn't run older drivers for hardware like this. Almost as rare, is older software for things like Axe edit, etc, not running on newer OS.

The scenario you mention with your IPAD, where IT needed to be upgraded to run the current interface software, that can happen. But then, you either upgrade, or run the older version that still works. Typically, software like that, just adds new features (features you were already not using).

14. cybermgk

First there are XLR to TRS cables

But, a quick look at the back of the Helix on Sweetwater, and it has 1/4" outs as well as XLR,

NOW, the one thing you might miss at first, is a little bit of amp in the room feeling. 4.5" is basically 5". I started with 5" monitors, and it sounded good. But, it sounded like a recording or mix, because of the small speakers. I switched to a pair of 8" Monitors instead. I still use those, both separately from my Matrix/Xitone 2x12, as well as with (through the mixer). The monitors are great at super low levels. The 8" monitors made a big difference for me, over the 5"

Rhust and Blues Buzz like this.
  15. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Even if they discontinue it you can still use it as is. Great sounding box. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed!

16. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I was probably over-thinking things... my thought was that if I set my output to 1/4" out at home, then I have to fiddle with it at church to make it work with XLR... but if it was XLR in, then I could just leave the output set the same...also... the 1/4" out on the helix is 1/4" TS cables(unbalanced), the input on the Presonus is 1.4" TRS (stereo, balanced) ill that still work??

I'm still debating PA monitors like the Altos vs desktop monitors at home... obviously the small monitors wouldn't sound as full, but they can more easily control the volume, too... I'm trying to figure out something that can have a tolerable volume at home to set patches for live as needed.... and not cost a fortune or take up a ton of space.

as for 8" vs 5, that makes sense. it might be something I do in phases, buy a single 8" then a second one later... or just go with a single 10" powered PA speaker. ($900 FRFR cabs are out of the question. $200-300 tops.)

the other intriguing option is the Laney IRT-X... $400 for basically a low-wattage FRFR?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  17. cybermgk

Given all that, I might go for the single powered 10 or 12" FRFR powered PA wedge. It is the most likely to be close to what you have at church. You would also want to occasionally try the patch at volume too. If you were primarily recording, I'd say monitors first.

You can always use headphones for super low practice, play etc.

JIMHO, YMMV

Rhust likes this.
  18. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

that's where I'm leaning... a single Alto... either a TX12 or TS210... I can't find a reason that the TX isn't talked about more...

19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

ok, on TGP they had a lot more users of the TX series, it seems like a slightly lower wattage, non-EQ version of the TS... at about 1/2 the price. I ordered a TX10, and if I dig it, I'll pick up another, just because I can :D

cybermgk and AmpedUp like this.
  20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

It landed today. I have spent hours tonight dialing in a few great patches (no where near deep enough) and playing with some of the stock patches.. I'm glad I pulled the trigger. I'm stuck with headphones for a day or two, but it sounds great! I found the user interface extremely friendly.. I wish I had more time with it but that will come... I have to get some sleep!