Helix lt on the way.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

ive been interested in going with amp modeling a while now. A buddy has a firehawk, and I've almost bought one a few times, but the general advice was always "don't do it" since it's already been sort of abandoned... the firehawk was kinda in between the HD series and the helix, and the Bluetooth seemed to always have issues for people, my buddy included...

I was worried the helix is going to be abandoned in a year, but that doesn't seem to be what most people believe... but at the same time the helix seems like it wins with ease of use over all the other high end units...

I considered the atomic and the ax8 as well, but the ax8's price, and requirement for extras on day one was a huge turn off... and the atomic doesn't seem to even be popular on its own website... the forum is full of people who feel like the platform isn't moving ahead...

The helix was the only one I could try, and the local GC didn't even have an LT in store... so I tried a regular helix, and I was sold... I had to get the wife on board, and I'm having to sell a guitar, THR10x and some pedals... but the helix will be here Wednesday. If it's as good as I think it was in store, I'll sell my tube amps and cab too...

Say a little prayer for me :) if anyone has some tips for "day one" getting it set up to sound good, I'd appreciate it. I bought a pair of presonus monitors to go with it(had points on amazon the pretty much covered them) and I'll probably add a pa speaker soon, for the bigger sound... but that can wait a little bit.

jdto, AmpedUp, AllTheSound and 2 others like this.
  2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

It is as good as or better than you think and I bet your tube gear will be on it's way out the door shortly after the Helix arrival! I have a Helix and a Kemper and both are outstanding units! There are so many preset already out there for the Helix you'll find yourself spending days on end just downloading them and going through them...

I don't play live so my Kemper gets more play time, but the Helix is every bit as good IMHO!

Enjoy it!

AmpedUp, frankv, Rhust and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

The LT is a really classy looking, feeling piece. It may not be quite as much of a tank as the floor, but I prefer its aesthetics.

Congrats and enjoy!

Find you some good instruction videos and you'll be good to go.

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  4. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

You are going to want an FRFR Powered speaker of some sort. I have both a Line 6 Stagesource L2t and a Mission Engineering Gemini 1 Wedge.

AmpedUp, frankv, Rhust and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Yea I was also looking at the laney irt-x for an frfr at a decent price

AmpedUp likes this.
  6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

A few of us are using an Alto TS210 (or 12) and are surprisingly pleased.
    It may be something you want to upgrade down the road, but they're a great way to start for almost no money. I spent 3 times the money on an upgrade and did get a little better tone, but not three times better. I could have easily hung with the Alto for longer.

7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Yea I remember seeing those, I'll be looking at that too. Part of me wants to get whatever the church uses, currently... which are behringer euro live pa speakers. That way it would match "live"

AmpedUp likes this.
  8. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Wise choice. Hope you love it!

Rhust likes this.
  9. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Congrats on a great choice Rhust you can't go wrong with the Helix it's the most comprehensive modeling system available and has lots of room to grow.

10. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Quite a lot has been written by some guys about the technology advancing and older models being left behind..

I never could get that line of reasoning. I don't get it because when you look at an old Tube amp you have something long discontinued yet still viable. Well... thats the same thing with high end modelers.

When a new model comes out it matters not to the old unit that still sounds as great as it did when it came out of the box. Unlike a tube amp that changes its tone with the weather, a modeler, once you choose on one you like, will always provide you with thar same exact tone you purchased and enjoyed it for.

So some ask... why then don't you see older modelers in use.. The answer to that is easy to find. You don't see older units in play because the people who buy them are the type that want the very best available and will stop at nothing to get that.

Rhust, AmpedUp and AllTheSound like this.
  11. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

I have a couple friends that still gig their old modelers one of them a Line6 AxSys ( the first modeler) and the other uses a Yamaha DG80. Even modelers can fit like a old glove.

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

As Frank said, there are 2 types of support, warranty & new FW. The 1st only lasts a year anyway, the other can go for quite sometime or be basically nonexistent. But that aside, if the modeller already has what you wantt for features, upgrades or the lack thereof doesn't mean you can't continue to enjoy your modelling rig for many, many years. Inthe case of the Helix, it's been out ~two years now and noe there are 4 productsrelying on that modelling engine. Helix rack, floor, LT & nw Native so I don't they are going anywhere anytime soon and Line 6 is behind they forthe long haul, especiallynow that they are part of Yamaha.

Rhust, AllTheSound, cybermgk and 2 others like this.
  13. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Right on Ken.. and you see this all the time with computers. I have a 5 years old Thinkpad that I use for work. While it is 3 generations back in tech.. It still does the job quite well and I have no need to purchase a newer one.

Rhust and AmpedUp like this.
  14. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Since you were able to audition it and you liked what you saw/heard, I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Congrats!

15. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I also think, in the past, you had models that were always lacking a little in some area, one, dirt, feel, response, something. So some were upgrading to get better in those areas. IMHO, we finally passed the point, where people are getting all the same tone, feel, response etc that they did with legacy tube amps. NOW, the only reason to 'upgrade' is for new physical or interface features.

frankv, AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  16. cybermgk

Oh and congrats Rhust :dude:

17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

This. So much this. My experience in the past has been that it always felt like a toy, not a pro kit. I think we finally got to the point where the amps and effects feel real.

Granted my demo time was limited, but before that was the worst.... you hear the factory presets, that are just shit, and that's it, but I was able to find a patch, and easily back off the effects and hear the amp tone, and it was impressive. It was all I needed to want to try more.

It's still a steep learning curve imo. But the helix seemed very intuitive and I thing I'll get the hang of it

AmpedUp and cybermgk like this.
  18. cybermgk

It is why I made the switch. I wouldn't have if the fundamental tone, feel, responsiveness, et al wasn't there.

mmd, Rhust and AmpedUp like this.
  19. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I didn't like some presets that I made on my AX8 last week. Once I played in a band setting, they were not good. So I just copied some presets and am using those now - with slight modifications.

20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

crazy thing is, I'd probably have been happy with an older model too, one generation back... but if it was good, then I would constantly wonder if I should have sprung for the helix or ax8... so for me it came down to "buy it once, and forget it". I have, in the past, thought "it's not worth it, this is good enough and cheaper" only to be left still wanting... so it ends up costing more in the long run, in both money and heartache. buy it once, buy it for life...

well, this line of thinking is what made me finally decide to pull the trigger... (btw, if you buy from sweetwater you get an automatic 2 year warranty through them, and they just replace. the unit instead of having line 6 work on it)

my thought was this... what if NONE of the current generation get another update? now obviously guys like fractal and kemper have demonstrated that they have no intentions of stopping firmware releases anytime soon... but what if there was some great breakthrough, and all of them decided to bail at once and build something else? basically I'm saying that "assume what you get is what you get and that's all that you get"

in which case any of the top 4-5 modellers would work for a good while, probably. especially for me, who really only needs a handful of tones anyway... hell an amp like a mesa mark 5 would probably do it all too, if all the channels were easily foot-switchable, and could be silent... BUT, I looked at all of them, and while I have no doubt the ax8 is probably the top of the line (besides the $2000 units from fractal and kemper) it's also more expensive, and requires more "stuff" around it... I just couldn't DOUBLE my budget... I stretched it to get the helix because I felt like even if it's #2, it's nipping on the heels of #1, and seems to be thought out for both the home player and the professional... the ax8 is geared towards a pro who has those other little things... and neither one of them will I ever even scratch the surface on what they can and can't do...

I'm anxious to get it and set it up, and A/B it with my 6505 that I love so much... if it can take the place of the Peavey, I'll get rid of that too... and be "tube-less" for the first time since 1992... the last time I didn't have a tube amp was when I first got an electric... I had an old roland with 4-5" speakers... after that I bought a 1964 Tremolux, and it was all tubes, all the time.

one question, have any of you used something like a crate powerblock, or some sort of power amp, to use regular guitar cabs? I know part of the magic of these modellers is using the IR, but I'm just trying to figure out if I should ditch guitar cabs too