Helix LT Lost All Presets

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Vortex, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Against my better judgement I was messing w/ my Helix LT. Trying some free patches. I load one in the editor and all of a sudden my presets are gone. Except the one I was loading but I can't do anything with the blocks in there. I turn off / on the Helix. It rebuilds the presets. All the preset names are there but the patches are empty. No blocks. IR's are there. So I try restoring from a back up. Kept losing connection during preset rebuild. Change USB ports and it works. Same thing though, preset names are there but no blocks.

I make another patch / snapshots. Turn the Helix off / on. It rebuilds presets again. This time the patch I made is loaded into every preset on user 1. Not the preset name but the snapshot names & blocks / settings. Before I did this I renamed all the presets I was using to 'Empty' (since I was starting over) except for one & the one I just made Z1. Those also remained. This is firmware 2.3 which I updated when it was released.

Any ideas or is factory reset the next step?

Update: Under user1 whatever I to on a preset happens on all of them. So I have 32 of the same presets. Happens no matter which preset I modify. Doesn't seem to happening on user2. Whenever I restart there's a message 'rebuilding preset 269'.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Have you looked at the unit without connecting a pc? I'm wondering the editor app is causing the issues. Also you mention losing connection which may indicate a poorly performing usb port or cable. I take it the lt came with one though and you are using it. What pc usb port are using. The one on the back (motherboard) or the case mounted one(s) on the front.

3. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Yes I disconnected it. Same. Seems to be only user1. There's 32 presets of the same thing. Change something on one & they all change. I created another preset on user2 & that seems to be working normal. The factory presets seem ok too.

It lost connection a few times after the initial malfunction. Also while trying to restore from a backup when it got to the presets. Global & IR's loaded fine. I use a Mac which has 2 usb's on the side. I switched from one to the other and got the backup to load. But as I said no blocks in the presets, just the names.

4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

You should post this issue on the line 6 forum if you havent already.

frankv likes this.
  5. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

I did. :thumb:

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

That would suck setting up presets only to find all your work lost next time you boot the system. Sorry it happened to you

7. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

You mentioned that you had updated to fw 2.30. Nonetheless, be certain that you are using the new HX Edit! Not the previous Helix Editor version! Neither the latest Line 6 Updater nor the new HX Edit, do the housekeeping of uninstalling and removing the predecessor version of Helix Edit from your system.

8. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Thanks. Overall not a big deal b/c there weren't that many & I was only using one main one at this point. Thing is it happened while I was looking at the editor. More unsettling that it happened at all.

I had updated everything. Right now it's the the presets in User 1 that are not working properly. It plays ok but it's the same blocks in all 32 presets. No matter which one is modified they all update. Preset names stay the same. User 2 is working normal so far. This is editing on the Helix itself not connected to the Mac.

Edit: I created another back from today. Restored from the backup I had. Again all my original preset names were there just no blocks. And still User 1 presets acting as one. I restored from the back up I just did. User1 operating the same, User2 restored & working ok.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  9. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Not certain, but it sounds like the Free Presets you explored may have been flawed or corrupt.

Either way, you may want to do a Factory Rebuild/Reset to start fresh and clean. Make sure that you do not Restore any of those suspect Presets that you may have Backed Up to your computer! This will give you a clean slate for your Helix LT, and the User 1 Setlist should be Empty.

If the Free Presets are of 3rd party origin, Line 6 may not be of great help diagnosing what problems they may have. However, they may be very interested in the fact that those Presets may have crow-barred how User 1 Setlist responded. Thus, if you opt to open a Support Ticket with Line 6 about this issue, they may request you provide them the suspect Presets for them to examine.

Hope you get your Helix LT working properly.

KenG likes this.
  10. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

After trying several different things I did a reset of the setlists / presets. That seems to have resolved the issue. I did not reinstall any of my previously saved back ups b/c the gremlin might be in there. I did back up the setlist I was currently using (User2) & reinstalled that w/o issue.... so far.
    Very strange that only User1 setlist was affected like that.

Side note: I didn't really realize how many presets there are. I changed them to straight numbers instead 01A or w/e. There are 128 presets w/ 8 snapshots each under 5 setlists. I knew there a lot but holy cow.

Thanks to everyone. Until the next problem then. :cheers2:

Rocco Crocco likes this.