Helix LT fence

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by madmusicltd, Nov 29, 2017.

1. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

So the POD HD500X I ordered for $350 is on back-order, with Xmas time here, there are some good deals floating around, that being said I can now pick up a Helix fro $1275 (W/case), or Helix LT for $850. I am thinking the HX platform vs HD and ease of tweaking may have me always wondering...? I ended up pulled the trigger on the POD because of the price, but with the back-order situation I am thinking to just bite the bullet and go for the Helix LT, (I am not sure I really need the extra options in the big daddy Helix)? The scribble strips and chassis seem to be the only options of benefit for me. Although the HD500X for $350 seems like a tank, but I can be OCD about tweaking patches... back-order fate

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I have been using Helix since it came out. The HX platform is easier to work with than the HD. I have had a few friends that are HD users come over and mess with the Helix and they are all in agreement - it is WAY easier to dial in and a few think the sounds/modeling is better.

Are you Rob Porter by any chance?

madmusicltd likes this.
  3. madmusicltd

Hi mmd, I am not Rob, my name is Michael,
    I have seen your posts here you seem like an expert on this matter, it's the $500 price difference between the pedals that kinda has me stuck, I suppose I can always use the POD for a while and then upgrade later....

mmd likes this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Hey Michael!

Cool. You can't go wrong, really. If something works for you, then cool! You may find the HD does everything you need. ALL of my friends with HDs have stuck with them. They know them and enjoy them. Most have discussed getting a Helix eventually, but are in no rush. To me, that says a lot!!

I asked if you are Rob Porter because he owns (or used to) a shop called Mad Music local to me. I was gonna offer some time at my studio with the Helix. However, if you are in the Pinellas County, FL area, the offer is extended to you as well!!!

madmusicltd likes this.
  5. madmusicltd

Thank you sir, I'm on the east coast, just up north a bit in Massachusetts. So that was my thought with the HD, as far as getting by with the sounds, as I have been using the original 2.0 for years in my solo act rig... It's hard to tell a huge difference on you tube clips, between HD/HX plus half of them they are using the Variax. I suppose if I connect the HD to the computer it will be easier to tweak... But you know how the GAS can be

mmd likes this.
  6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

It's way cooler, way easier to use, way better and way more money.
    If it's doable, I'd do it.
    (....but I'm still an HD500X fan)

I up'd my LT for a floor while the swap window was open and I had the chance.
    I could have done without the back of the floor and made it fine with the LT, but when I have used it, I was glad it was there. You sound a lot like me. Just get the floor and be done!

No dogging on the LT though. Cool unit.

madmusicltd likes this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Sure thing, man!!

2.0....lol....I STILL use my POD Pro almost once a week. It is still my go to recording rig. I am using the Helix more and more - including Native in my new studio rig - but I have so many presets I love in the POD Pro, that I just go to it for certain sounds. It has been great for the decade + I have had it. No intentions of ever dumping it!!!

Yeah, YT clips can be tough. For me, jumping into the Helix was more about the snapshots and routing options. I figured that if the 2.0 tech made me happy then the HX would HAVE to be an improvement!!

GAS does suck, for sure. But, go with what you think'll be best and make the most of it!!

madmusicltd likes this.
  8. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I owned a POD HD500X prior to buying my Helix and I can tell you the Helix is much easier to work your
    way through to get a good sound and it just performs better as it should for the price difference.

I started out with a Line 6 Spider IV 75 and have been moving up through the product range as I
    improve and I have never been disappointed with anything I've bought from Line 6.

madmusicltd likes this.
  9. madmusicltd

I hear you, they are doing a special now where you get the backpack as a gift with a Helix purchase, plus I can get 15% off either pedal... I can still back out of the HD too. My gigs this month will probably cover the costs, so I guess I'm just being frugal... I'm so on the fence:hmm:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  10. madmusicltd

I think you are right, if the Helix helps me play 1% better it will be worth it. and.. I am a bit of a tweakaholic...

mmd likes this.
  11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Honestly man, if you can do the Helix it is WAY worth it. I had almost NO learning curve. I was creating useable tones in minutes. Of course, I have learned a ton of stuff while using it, and my tones are better now - but everything was cool right off the bat!!

Pop1655 and madmusicltd like this.
  12. madmusicltd

I hear you, $1275 with backpack is tempting me

mmd likes this.
  13. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I never looked back.

madmusicltd likes this.
  14. madmusicltd

I have pretty much decided I want to cancel the HD, If I get the LT why will I regret not getting the floor?

mmd likes this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Right on, man!!

16. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Who knows?!
    The problem is, if you do, you can’t do anything about it.
    (unless you swap fast like I did)

I can’t say at all that I would currently not be thrilled with the LT. I probably would be.

I was too scared to risk finding out and being stuck with it.

No haunting questions ( real or imagined) if you get the floor.

17. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

The Helix is made a Lot Tougher than LT and I mean Tank vs Car tougher. The Helix also has addressable "scribble" strips for the foot buttons
    so you can label them and see them in low light. All you get on the LT is colored lights...If you are gigging this the Helix seems the way to go.

18. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Helix will be 'supported' by Line 6 longer from today.

As mentioned Helix IS easier to use.

Helix CAN import IRS (I don't think the HD can)

Buy once, be happy applies.

If the Helix' are on sale, seems to me, now is the time to jump that way, since the HD is on back order.

My $0.02 worth.

Then again, I bought both a Kemper and an Axe FX II for a lot more, so maybe I'm not the best to give advice.

19. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I think he moved on to a debate between Helix and Helix LT now...looks like HD is out.

cybermgk likes this.
  20. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Ah, then I shall step aside and let you Helix aficionados and experts mentor away.