Helix into a Katana 50 for powered monitor?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by JOESHMOE, May 26, 2017.

1. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

Has anyone run a Helix or similar unit into a Katana 50?

If so how did it sound?

Jimmy

2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

Have a Katana, but no helix...

I'd have said that would be a bit of a waste of the Katana IMHO - I know the processing wouldn't be the same standard as the helix, but if you're not using it, why pay for it?

More and more manufacturers are producing 'Pedal Platform' amps, with little or no processing capabilities, just for this type of application, may be worth taking a look at some of those instead? :)

Donal likes this.
  3. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I have both, well a Helix and Katana 100. Never considered plugging the Helix into the Katana. I keep my Helix at my office and the Katana at home, so they never see each other. When I have nothing to do, (not sure that will ever happen), I might try the Helix into the loop return of my Blues Cube Artist. I love that amp. That might be worth a go.
    I'm a firm believer that the Helix needs a proper FRFR playback system in order to function as it was designed to do. I have my doubts the Katana / Helix mating would give you anything out of the ordinary, at best.

Donal likes this.
  4. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

This:
    And most definatly this:

5. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

I already have the Katana 50, I will be getting the
    Helix LT.

I may not have the money for a FRFR at 1st and
    wanted to know how it would sound to run the Helix
    through the Katana until I can afford a FRFR.

Thanks Jimmy

6. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

After a little more thought, seeing as the Katana is a modelling amp, wouldn't they have put an FRFR speaker in it? Otherwise the speaker would colour the tones produced by the modelling hardware / software...?

So I guess the answer becomes 'yes you can use it, just turn off effects and run through the clean setting'

I thought you were thinking of buying one to run the Helix through, but if you already have it, why not? :thumb:

7. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I don't think the Katana speaker is an FRFR. But that doesn't mean you couldn't get some good sounds out of it with the Helix. If I remember correctly, the 50w Katana doesn't have an fx loop. So you'd be limited to running the Helix into the front end and just using it for effects. No amp or cabs.

8. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

That's right, fx loop is on the 100 and the head I believe?

Not sure if the Katana does some processing jiggery-pokery to enable a better response from the speaker for the acoustic setting? Might do something for the aux input too, as you can plug in an mp3 player.... :hmm: