Helix incoming!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by James R, Aug 7, 2017.

1. James R

James R Premium Member

Thanks MusicLaw!

I struggled with the Helix for the first couple days, I'm not going to lie.
    It was pretty frustrating trying to figure out how the Helix thinks, for lack of a better term, so that I could approach things from different angles than what I am used to.

I feel that I've still got a long way to go, but I speak Helix much more fluently now. :laugh2:

I was able to accomplish my first goal, which is to have one single patch that can do it all, and it sounds bloody glorious.
    I've got two amps in it, a Twin and a 2204.
    A Timmy, a TS, and a Big Muff for dirt.
    A trem, a phaser, a wah, a volume pedal, a chorus, 2 delays, and 2 reverbs.
    I'm an always on guy for delay and reverb, so I set all four to one pedal and can switch from subtle barely noticeable, to much deeper settings with one click. Very cool feature.
    I set up my snapshots the way I had my old looper set, also very cool.
    I wanted to fight the snapshots at first, but I've come around to them and enjoy using them now.
    I also set the two amps to one footswitch, so that when depressed it switches between them.
    Obviously, this function of switching between two or more things set to the same footswitch is something that I'm totally digging, and will utilize to its full extent.

Now I just have to make a bunch of other presets for specific songs or sounds I want.
    This patch is my generic "covers all bases" type of rig.

Overall, the deeper I dig, the more excited I'm getting about the whole thing.
    I feel like I want to dive deeper down the rabbit hole.
    I actually have a trade offer in on a Variax now.
    Who am I becoming?

2. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Really glad your getting your head wrapped around it and things sorted out. You have a real power house there , it takes a lil time to learn to get the most out of it but it seems like your a quick study and on the fast track. I haven't tried my Helix into a real cab yet i'd like to give that a shot one of these days.

James R likes this.
  3. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Now you're jumping in head first. When I first looked at the Variax JTV's I thought, not for me. Then I learned a bit more about what you can do with a Variax and Helix and I decided it was a cheap enough experiment so I picked up a JTV69 locally.
    I put a Warmouth neck on it to my liking. It's now my #1 guitar and it still surprises me. I have some really nice guitars that rarely get played because of the Variax, including a JP15 Blueberry Burst.
    I can do a song intro with a Rickenbacker 12 string model, switch to an LP for the verses and do a slide solo using a Strat model with different tuning. All with a footswitch on the Helix. Never touching the guitar controls. Other than having to give up wireless, I have no regrets. The other guitarist in our band is an old school tube guy and he's amazed by how close I can get to the tones from the original recordings of the songs we cover. It's really nice to have such a variety of tone to play with all night.
    I now have a JTV69, JTV69S and JTV89F. I have a new Warmouth neck coming for the JTV69S that will be short scale conversion. That should be interesting.

James R likes this.
  4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm now officially about 100 laps down. I wish I could have participated more in this, but mainly what I do is hit the "on" button on the surge protector strip mine's plugged into. :laugh2:

I'm enjoying watching your journey though.

James R likes this.
  5. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

What I find handy is to start with the rigrundown pics from guitargeek.

Like there: https://www.pinterest.com/bkendall1316/guitar-rig-diagrams/?lp=true

So I basically copy the complete setup from pedals through to the amps and cabs and that gives me the basic band/player sound and tweek it then a bit to fit my needs.

James R, MusicLaw and Pop1655 like this.
  6. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Very nice! Now that's the way to jump in full force.

Another very good resource are the Line 6 Tone Templates. These are graphic PDFs depicting a wide variety of Artist Rig configurations. Tone Templates are available to download from the Line 6 website.

The direct link is: at: http://line6.com/tone-templates/.

[Note: There is also a Tone Templates Link (under COMMUNITY) at the bottom of every Line 6 website page!]

James R and Donal like this.
  7. James R

James R Premium Member

Man, this Helix is freaking glorious.
    I just seriously can't even bloody believe it.

I get it now.
    I understand why all of you die hards want to shout it from the rooftops.
    Anybody who doesn't give the "new age" of modelling a fair shot is doing themselves a disservice, imho.
    I love my tubes, but gosh darn it, I love my Helix too.

KenG, AllTheSound, Rhust and 5 others like this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Curious how you two are getting along now with a little time in?

James R likes this.
  9. James R

James R Premium Member

I, for one, am getting along quite well.
    :D

I've completely assimilated.
    None of my other amps have been played in weeks, maybe more than a month.
    My pedalboard went from being over-the-top ridiculous, to my digitech whammy dt and my wah (not a fan of either in the Helix).
    I bought a couple little powered monitors and a nice pair of studio headphones, my cabs sit collecting dust.

I've spent some good time working on just a few patches, which are sounding really good to me now.
    It took a while before I realized how important the hi and low cuts are on IRs, and the built in cabs have the "early reflections" parameter, which I feel goes a long way towards the "amp in the room" effect when set somewhere between 25 and 40%, depending on the cab.

Overall, I know I've got a ways to go before I really truly feel like I "know" this thing, but getting there has been tremendous fun so far.

My biggest complaint is that there just isn't enough hours in a day to be able to play as much as I want to and still live up to my daily life responsibilities, like working and eating and sleeping and stuff. :laugh2:
    The Helix truly inspires me to play.
    Sometimes a little too much so.

10. KenG

KenG Senior Member

When you described your 1sr patch back in August the 1st thing that popped into my head was your set uo as described would've run you at least $4k!

James R likes this.
  11. James R

James R Premium Member

My original pedalboard probably had close to that in patch cables alone.
    I kid, but those cable kits are damned expensive when you have to start buying them in bulk. :laugh2:

One of the things I'm really digging is how clean my rig is now.
    Guitar>2 pedals>Helix>2x XLR to monitors>USB to laptop.
    Done.
    I could get my entire rig in a large backpack or bag and a guitar case.

Rhust likes this.
  12. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

You really have to make this pedal your own. for instance, there are quite a few jzz/blues players on this forum and elsewhere that really DON'T like the JC-120 amp model (Jazz Rivet) I, on other hand, absolutely LOVE IT! It just matches my rig (ES-335 and Line 6 M20d with L3Ts) perfectly to get that "Jazz house" sound.

Pop1655 and Rhust like this.
  13. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I have several clean / dirty patches where I switch between the JazzRivet for clean and the Ubershall for dirty. Kryptonite would be one song that works with that combo. Talk about contrast!

Rhust likes this.