Helix - floor or LT?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pop1655, May 10, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Excellent!! Enjoy it!!

2. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

3. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Congrats Pop! I think your really going to dig the Helix. Hopefully you can sneak a lil time in with it soon :)

mdubya likes this.
  4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

IMHO, if you don't need the I/Os or the built in mic preamp, get the Helix LT. I understand what everyone is saying about buying the best, but really the LT is the same as the floor, minus the I/Os, mic pre and scribble strips. And really, if you notice, the LT in "performance mode" basically has the scribble scripts on the big screen, so to my mind, having the scribble script does not really put a check in the plus column of the regular $1500 Helix, so you're left with just the I/O routing options and the mic preamp. Do you need them? That is the real question.

Edit... Just saw what you bought, Pop. Congrats!

5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Hmm, why does the Helix LT look wider than the Helix Floor in this pic? I thought the Floor should be 1 inch wider.

6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Pop yes you're correct that they saved some $$ on the chassis and expression pedal construction (that was actually a major cost savings design change as aluminum is a lot more $$ than steel, not significantly stronger overall but certainly pound for pound it is). As a "home player" that doesn't concern me as I thought you could also except that minor compromise unless you really go nuts playing at home jumping off the bed or couch to activate the next patch! A gigging player would certainly be tempted to step up to the heavier duty construction in the big brother. Looking forward to your review after a little time with it, as it's where I'm going in the near future as well.

7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'll blame camera angle on the size look, but they do have a pretty identical footprint.

I actually love the case on the LT.
    Trying to give an accurate comparison above, but just talking LT, it's a solid, slick feeling, very slick looking unit.

mdubya likes this.
  8. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The HD500 wasn't aluminum either and it holds up really well with stage use. I don't see how the LT wouldn't.

I'm most interested to know if the upper row buttons are more difficult to stomp on (or interfere with the first row when stomping) compared with the HD500 which has a step up to the second row.

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I won't be able to answer that because I doubt I'll ever put it on the floor. :laugh2:

10. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Congrats!

Looking forward to your impressions of the LT sine we are on a similar rung of the modeling ladder.

Pop1655 likes this.
  11. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm looking forward to visiting with you about it.
    Probably gonna require some patience. I'm babysitting tonight, have an awards banquet tomorrow night, a crazy Mother's Day work weekend, then flying out Monday to check on #5. I couldn't have picked a worse day to buy it. If my coupon hadn't expired today, I wouldn't have. Story of my life!

frankv likes this.
  12. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I just spent $500 more for an AX8 than I could have spent for for an Atomic Amplifire 12 even though the AA12 is all I need. I'm still questioning my decision (the AX8 gets delivered today) but I know myself well enough to know about the "what if" virus and how it can infect my brain. It can be torture.

If money isn't this issue, get all the features you want. Even if it is an issue - like it is for me - if you're completely happy with the product, you still tend to have no regrets and you probably will never miss the extra money. And if you're using money to buy guitar gear that you should be using to pay bills, don't buy anything right now.

I've been going back and forth all week about my decision and am confident the AX8 will help me feel like I made a wise choice. If not, it has a 15 day return policy that I will take advantage of. :)

13. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Every $500 I save is an extra $100 a piece I can waste and totally blow on each grandkid.

How's that for logic???
    :rofl::rofl:

mdubya, frankv, hbucker and 1 other person like this.
  14. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Congrats Pop. :applause:

I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do or as much as your anticipation was :thumb:

15. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I got a feeling that waste and totally blow was going to happen anyway.

Pop1655 likes this.
  16. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Congrato-Pop

17. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

OK, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but wanted to at least make a comment.
    I hooked it up and went through about 4 presets. Jazz rivet 120 is pretty close to right up my alley.
    Ran tracks from laptop into USB. Played two songs.
    Definitely had a "WOW" moment.
    Anybody who has painfully followed my trek since day one knows that I've worn out the phrase
    "I just want to hear what I hear through headphones through speakers"
    I just did!

CaptainT, frankv, Donal and 2 others like this.
  18. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Congrats Pops. Sounds like you found it! Enjoy.

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Can you remind us what speakers you are using, Pop?

TIA. :thumb:

20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I snagged a couple of the new Atlo 2 series.
    I got a TS212 first and then got a TS210 to see which one I liked best. I ended thinking they compliment each other and make a nice pair. XLRs to them. 1/4 outs into my JBL LSR305s. I run both sets together.

At mid level volume, I think the Altos punch way above their weight class.

frankv, Donal and mdubya like this.