Heavier Guitars Sound Thicker?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Elkoki, Nov 18, 2018.

1. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I thought I nailed it. Damnit.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  2. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

On Les Pauls it depends on the glue used, on strats and tele's it's all down to what material the screws are made of.

3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

OMG, the level of delirium here it's sky high...LOL!!! :laugh2::rofl::rofl::rofl::laugh2:

ehb and freebyrd 69 like this.
  4. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

No offense Freebyrd but I couldn’t hear shit in those vids that would allow me to make a choice. If you found an 8 pound LP that does it all including that low note compression thing that’s awesome. I hope that happens to me one day. A pound makes a HUGE difference in comfort. I would keep that thing forever.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  5. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

That "challenge" was a joke lol. I wasn't taking that seriously at all (like any of this). I like how respectful everyone is on this forum(well mostly everyone) I just wanted to get people's opinions and if anyone agreed. Besides like I said before, i'm not a predictor in precise weights, I just said heavier guitars have certain characteristics lighter guitars don't.. I'm talking guitars with a major weight difference. not guitars that vary 1-2lbs from each other. It seems you're mostly a Les Paul player, can I ask why are you mostly a LP player? Couldn't you technically find the same tonal characteristics in a different/ lighter guitar? You don't mind the weight? Do you want to be like guitar hero's ? is that why you mainly play LP's? Or what's the reason? Truthfully why don't you think they make MORE (keyword) LP's lighter? I know some exist, but why aren't more in the 6lb range? Would it upset the purists who believe an LP should only be heavy?

Like I mentioned before. I had 2 guitars from the same brand, same woods in the body & neck,fretboard, same nut,pickups, same strings,same set neck construction.... they were as close as possible as they could be. 1 was 10lbs, the other was 6lb from having a much thinner body & neck. The tonal difference was massive. They sounded nothing alike. The lighter one was way brighter, unplugged & plugged in it was VERY bright, probably the brightest guitar i've ever owned. the 10lb unplugged was very dull but sounded huge plugged in. So to your comment how " Two guitars with the exact same construction and same pickups with a 4-5 lb. weight difference??? How is THAT possible? Short answer....it’s not." Doesn't this case count? I understand there's lots of variables, but since they were so close in specs you'd think they'd at least sound similar in some way

6. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Oh dude....goes without saying....you TOTALLY nailed it!

ehb likes this.
  7. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

WRONG....the tooth pick used as wood filler to hold down the strap button has a bigger impact on the tone than the glue in the LP.

SteveGangi likes this.
  8. brokentoeswalker

Did you use metric or imperial toothpicks ??

9. freebyrd 69

No, it doesn't count. YOUR words (not mine) were, "same woods, same construction, pickups", etc.. If one had a much thinner body and neck, then, it's NOT the same construction. End of story on that. Also, the pickups may have been the same brand, but there are sometimes big reading differences in the same brand/type of pickups. Did you measure those? I can make any one of my guitars sound pretty different (brighter, thinner, fatter, take your pick) with different wiring harnesses and pickups with different magnets/readings. Sum of the parts.......

Les Paul's.....I play them because I like them. When I started my latest band project, our set list changed pretty drastically. I went from straight classic rock to that, and country, and some current stuff, Prince, etc.. I invested in a Telecaster that I really, really like. So I'm not some die hard Gibson guy that won't lay my hands on anything else. I also have a Strat that I use for some songs. I like to stay true to the songs, so I'm not going to use my Les Paul on "Sweet Home Alabama", and I'm not going to use my Telecaster on "Sweet Child". Whatever the song calls for. When I played straight up classic rock, the Les Paul took care of my whole set list. Didn't care to switch, although I have always owned at least one Strat.

Do I mind the weight? No, not in the least. Never have. I buy good quality, wide padded straps. Fortunately, I have never suffered from any kind of back problems.

Why do they not make more light L.P.'s? Simple there. They are constructed of maple and mahogany. The back (mahogany) is what ultimately determines the final weight, and the lighter wood is the exception, not the rule. So, the only way to get a consistently lighter L.P. is to chamber the shit out of it, and yeah, most players don't want that. As for a 6 lb. L.P.....again, it's the characteristics of the woods used, it ain't happenin' unless you hollowed (chambered) it to the point of ridiculousness.

You said (again, your words) that heavier guitars have characteristics that lighter guitars don't, and then listed a couple of those characteristics. If you are basing your "research" on a couple of different guitars you owned, that's a pretty weak "experiment" and certainly not very scientific. LOL. Anyway, based on your statement, you would in fact be saying that you could identify a heavy guitar from a lighter.

Most guitars don't vary as much as you say in weight. My Telecaster is as heavy or heavier than my lightest Les Paul. My Strat is probably 1-1.5 lbs. lighter than my lightest L.P.. The strat probably comes in at 7. something, and my 03 gold top at about 9.3, so even that is only a 2 lb. variance.

10. freebyrd 69

None taken. It was all I had easy access to for the OP. But are you saying you couldn't hear a difference in those two L.P.'s in the second video? I can. If you are saying you couldn't hear a difference that would allow you to choose between which one is the light, and which the heavy, well, that was my point anyway. As for 1lb. making a HUGE difference....to each their own, but that's pretty crazy. I'm not a big guy....5'8 160 lbs., and we play 3 sets, 4 hours per gig. I've used my 03 Gold Top for gigs at certain venues, and there is AT LEAST 1.3 lbs. difference between that and my 2011. No big deal (and I'm almost 50 yrs. old). If 1 lb. makes THAT big of a difference, invest in a really good comfortable strap. That can easily negate a pound or two difference.

11. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

Yeah I just meant there was too much going on to hear clearly. I’m 57 but I’m a big guy. 6’7’ 260 and I’m fine with my 9 pounder and I have the same wide leather strap that I used for years with my 11 pound Norlin. All I’m saying is my buddy has a 2001 R9 that weighs 8 1/4 and it feels like a feather to me after playing mine for awhile. I just don’t like how his sounds. Lighter FEELS better but I’ll have to find a good sounding light one like you did before I compromise.

ehb and freebyrd 69 like this.
  12. freebyrd 69

Well damn!!! Remind me never to piss you off!! LOL.

garybaldy likes this.
  13. ehb

Wide leather is da cheeze with Lesters....

I also play a bit higher than some so it is not as much 'hanging weight'....

Tonez are in the wide leather skrap anyway.... I thought everybody knew that.... :cool2:

SteveGangi likes this.
  14. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

metric... preferably the flavored kind. Cinnamon usually compliments the mahogany well

SteveGangi likes this.
  15. brokentoeswalker

I think you might just be onto something Elkoki...... I'm betting using actual cinnamon stick pieces to wedge down a strap button might be the holy grail in terms of tone chasing.

To the spice rack !!!

16. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Senior Member

Play a Steinberger and/or Parker Fly - original models, not the new look-a-likes - and then tell me a backbreaker sounds better.

SteveGangi likes this.
  17. ehb

Have. Not better. Not worse. Not the same... Different.

I like the Stein basses NOW that are neck though maple and built by Epi, better than the orig Stein basses. I prefer that (passive pickups) tone color over the composites... Bought an XT-25 fiver bass.

Just different... Better is subjective...

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  18. meatball

meatball Senior Member

Cant speak for others ,, I noticed it on the difference between a Studio model and my R7 ,,, just sayin .... thats up to you now to decide,,, Amp, Effects, make a factor in that too.

19. freebyrd 69

I'm sure you did, but attributing that difference (or even the majority of it) to weight is crazy.

northernguitarguy, SGeoff and PierM like this.
  20. SGeoff

SGeoff Senior Member

right!! its the binding:run: