Heavier Guitars Sound Thicker?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Elkoki, Nov 18, 2018.

1. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict

FWIW, I find that right around 9 lbs is a great weight for LP's as well. I don't mind one that is 9.3 or 9.4 pounds, but not much more. I don't care for 10 pounders.

I must admit that I haven't played an 8 pound LP. In my pea brain, for my taste, I think 8.5 - 9.4 lbs is the sweet range.

Blue Blood likes this.
  2. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

sarcasm?

3. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

As a generalization,to the op's premise,i would say yes.But if the pickup is not wound to take advantage of that...then you won't hear it.Additionally,if the pickup is wound to accentuate the high end, you could have a needle sharp ice pick thin sound with a heavy guitar.But with the right pickup...and heavy good wood...you get one helluva wallup in the lower end.agree.more than a light instrument.

...and of course you can always turn the bass up on the amp...lol.

Elkoki likes this.
  4. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I built a Partscaster many years ago. Baseball bat ash and all brass hardware. Thought I wanted sustain above all else. I also wanted it to sound like a Strat - it really didn't. Lacked in pop, spank and quack.

[​IMG]

I'm building another one and doing it correctly this time: http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/my-stratopartscaster-build.418996/

5. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

6. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

Yes

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Nope.:naughty:

8. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

Nope to your nope

9. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Possibly.

Elkoki likes this.
  10. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. You just spread more internet bullshit.

11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Too many variables.

12. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Psychoacoustics.

SteveGangi likes this.
  13. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

Dang. Some one's cranky.

14. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Senior Member

Here is my observation, with absolutely no proof! All other things being equal (as possible) I find that solid body guitars with greater mass sound better at lower volumes in smaller venues than less massive ones. Richer tone with more sustain. However, at arena volumes, guitars with less body mass just “sing” and sustain better. This observation is confined to solid bodied guitars. Semi hollow and hollow body guitars are a whole other story.

HogmanA and Elkoki like this.
  15. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter

Here we go again...

personally...I would have held off posting this thread til Fridy night.
    There 'd be a lot more...ummm...feedback...

northernguitarguy likes this.
  16. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Senior Member

This whole subject goes to the question of whether a guitar's primary tone (unplugged) has any effect on amplified tone. Of course, the mass and type of wood construction does have an effect on primary tone (among other things). It has been my experience that primary tone effects amplified tone to a degree at lower volumes in smaller venues. However, this effect is not really noticeable at higher volumes in larger venues.

SteveGangi and Elkoki like this.
  17. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I think the higher mass of a Lester can affect the overall tone color of a guitar vs. low mass.

How much is arguable as there are many factors that contribute to da tonez...

If the wood of the blanks are very consistent (grain/weight distribution/etc.) then they will make a good guitar that is more resonant and livelier, regardless of how much weight.

I also think the neck has more effect than the body for some facets of the overall tone...

I've used a PrimeVibe on my guitars and others, and have heard/felt the difference in the guitar periodically during and afterwards. There is a small change in the body in a solid but the neck exhibits a remarkable change over time. Same thing as playing the hell out of the guitar over a long period. The more a guitar is played, the better it sounds, all things being consistent. I don't much care if it has a maple cap, slab hog, basswood, pine, etc....

My view on Lesters I've played over several decades is they all have the lower growl (mass) and the mid bite. The lower growl is about same on all. The difference is where the bite sits. Five Lesters of the same model will sound very similar. My opinion is the bite is at different spots depending on the wood blanks... Some have a very snappy open bite, some are extremely warm, the vid of Vince Gill playing the Big House Duane Goldie is a good example of warm. Some I've played bite like a pissed off honey badger. Others are all over the map in the bite. One bud played a Gecko and it would throw harmonics from hell just looking at it, the thing was so bright. Standard Gib pickups... Had the growl but damn it bit and bit hard... I personally loved it. (They ain't near as yooogly under high temp concert stage lights... damn thing glowed almost gold....)

Just my opinion. Ignore at will, doesn't bother me at all if folks disagree. Don't really care...

Happy Dead Bird Day!

edro.

bulletproof, Elkoki and Dolebludger like this.
  18. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

It's more the wood than the weight(from what I've experienced over the years).

19. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

Whenever I hear someone asserting weight as the deciding factor for tone/thickness/richness, etc.

46184611_513035295857374_4250698801792155648_o.jpg

SteveGangi likes this.
  20. PierM

PierM Premium Member

My thickest tone is from a semi hollow that weight like a fart.
    My brightest is from a LP that does weight 10lb.
    My answer is no: weight does not induce any constant and predictable tone flavour, in any guitar.