Heastock fixed OBG - Should I buy or not...

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by littlelio, Feb 17, 2017.

1. littlelio

littlelio Junior Member

Hello everyone! First post for me! I do need some advice...

So I have my R8 which is fantastic guitar but I want to find a cheaper Les Paul to play with to avoid all thei high risk situation.

I met a Orville by Gibson in the shop, in fairly good condition. I have played it and happy with it. It was a G89xxxxx inked serial number, which means it was born in 89. No fretboard binding so definitely not a reissue. The truss rod cover has prints 'standard'. The tuners has been replaced with Grover style ones. (So the filled small holes at the back of the head stocks are visible. 6 of them.)

However, it is stated that this guitar had a broken headstock, and has been fixed. I have to say it was a very good job because I tried very hard to see some mark near the broken joint: The paint was very smooth only from certain angle you will see the tiny line mark on the finish. As for the wood texture/color difference, almost none.

So my question is:

1, How much do you think it is proper for this guitar?
    2, The finish is all right, and I don't think it will get easily broken again, but is there anything affected by the repairing, such as sustain?

There is also some Edwards LP92 in the shop. I made immediately comparison, definitely the OBG is nicer.

Any comment is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Leon

2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I'll be the 1st to say Welcome to the Forum...and just play the R8 it's not a decoration I hope...

3. littlelio

littlelio Junior Member

Thanks! Definitely! I also has the same concern that the R8 may be played less... I will take 'buying no cheaper version' is another option.

But if there is anyone is familiar with Orville, let's have a quick discussion!

4. Grenville

Grenville Senior Member

Hello littlelio, and welcome to the forum.

For what it's worth, I bought a Tokai LS80 a few years ago that has a repaired broken headstock. It's a magnificent guitar and has been very stable this last 3 years or so.

The commonly-held wisdom is that a properly done headstock repair on a guitar of this type is stronger than that part of the guitar was originally.

5. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

An important piece of information to determine a fair price is your location in the world; what country are you in?

6. littlelio

littlelio Junior Member

Oh right... I am in China now, Shanghai City. The shop is Ishibashi Music which is a Japanese brand and quite famous with large operation in Japan as well. I believe the used guitars here are quite real and with fresh stock from Japan frequently.

The imported guitar price is crazy here, not speaking of the retail price of Gibson...

But if you guys can give some idea about the price in States, I can do some math to estimate.

Now I am looking at Edwards/Orville which are Japanese origin, or I can simply find a used Epiphone such as 1960 tribute plus etc. Or, simply keep playing my R8...

7. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Have they disclosed it's had a headstock break? Always gonna be hard for us to estimate how much it'd cost in China unless we lived there.

In the UK it costs more to buy a MIJ than it would in the USA due to added customs fees. Usually the best way to price something in your country is to look at the local market like eBay or equivalent, if you can't do that then work out how much it'd cost you to get one shipped direct from Japan using the proxy sellers like FromJapan etc as they'll quote some estimate of costs.

The sold auction search on Yahoo Japan will give you and idea of what they cost and then add in estimated things like fees and shipping.

http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo....rville&ei=UTF-8&auccat=&slider=0&sc_i=auc_sug

Also remember guitars with broken necks usually sell for about 60% of an unbroken one so if it's well done they can be a bargain for a players guitar, so if Ishibashi have other ObG's compare it to those.

8. korus

korus Senior Member

And ishibashi has this one:
    http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/80-315258811?eng=1
    https://translate.google.com/transl...p/ec/pro/disp/1/80-315258811?eng=1&edit-text=
    It is 4 year old guitar, 4.23kg, no visible damage whatsoever

Both Orville by Gibson and Tokai have the same neck width as your R8, but Tokai neck should be closer to Rx neck thickness and shape. And H in model number stands for Hibiki http://www.hibikimusic.co.jp/brand/tokai/index.html See other specs of that HLS 118F here. It is not lacquer finish like ObG, but other than that, it is probably equally good LP. And it would feel closer to R8. Maybe someone else would make a comment on this HLS Tokai.

Regarding ObG, If a repair looks and feels solid to you than it is. I do not think it would be displayed (in Japan) to be sold unless it's a proper repair.

9. Hydra19

Hydra19 Senior Member

Guitars with repaired headstocks usually go for less then they would if it wasn't broken in the first place, so you should expect to be able to put the price down a little bit.

On the other had, the Ace Frehley Budokan reissue comes new with a repaired headstock and ain't cheap.

If properly done it wouldn't bother me personally, and as mentioned, the neck could even be stronger, plus lots of pros have repaired headstocks too

10. littlelio

littlelio Junior Member

Some how the ishibashi here doesn't have a single Tokai which I also want to check...

Interestingly, the link of Tokai above is at the similar price as the OBG I mentioned in the post. I feel the price of it is a bit high so I am also checking other options.

As for the guitar, it was fine, except I found the frets edges are not perfect - I am quite obsessed by the tiny gap between fret edge and the fretboard.

Perhaps a used Epiphone T+ will be more straightforward solution? A used one would be even cheaper!

Thanks all and I will visit the shop again to decide!