Headstock Template

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by pshupe, May 7, 2013.

1. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I have been meaning to post a new build thread for my '54 Junior build from the Bartlett Plans but have been so busy with work, I just haven't had time. I was going to document the use of the drawings, templates, etc etc but don't see getting to it in the near future.

So here is my headstock template that I have made up. It is quite useful as it gives you headstock outline, tuner placement, trussrod access outline, and guide lines for headstock inlay. These are all vintage correct taken from the Bartlett plans.

Here is a pic of what the templates look like.
    [​IMG]

I have countersunk 2 tuner locations so you can fasten it down with a couple of small screws and have it flush for routing. I also sanded the top and back to a nice matte finish. I hate fingerprints! :)

pm me if you would like one. I'm selling them for $35 which includes shipping anywhere in US and Canada. I hope you like them.

Cheers Peter.

cain61, voices, DADGAD and 11 others like this.
  2. jonny

jonny Senior Member

Sounds cool, I might be interested in one. I'll to wait till I get home from work so I can see the pictures though.

3. jbrybar

jbrybar Senior Member

I bought one and it is of superb quality and accuracy.. Very useful, it's going to make shaping the mustache a breeze.. :) Again, many thanks Peter..

4. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Peter- I think our plan is send one when the others (our 24.625 New Model Perfect*) and block/trap combo. AND, no hurry.

* "Model Perfect" -this is a descriptor used by a long gone hunter supply house that really did come up with some clever and in rough carved and even finished wood for shotguns and rifles and a helluva good line of most outdoor necessities. Big box stores knocked them out of business. Dixie Gun Works( I try to point you guys in Dixie's way for stains and finishes) bought some of their trademarks. BUT, everything was "World's Best, ModelPerfect "stainless steel backwoods shaving mirror." The catalogue was a hoot to read. And, in fact, in some things they sold special quality desirable stuff. Occasionally, they would get pretty snarky about their competitors.

5. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

i can't believe you just put this up here. i took pics of one i made for my headstock and wife hasn't downloaded them yet...she may be looking for another job if she doesn't straighten up. I wanted to use it to route with, but don't have a bushing rig for my dremel, so i just made a filler piece from 1/2"plywood to space the template above the headstock, and i run the shaft of the cutter along the cut out...works great. mine is crude, as it was all done by hand, but serves my purpose well.

these look to be terrific, and would highly recommend considering getting pshupe to make you one, as it saves a ton of time and gives consistent results.

great post.

6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Thanks Fatdaddy - that is exactly what I do for the headstock inlay route. Just use some spacers to get it up off the face enough to use the dremel tool with a straight bit. The outline I use a 1/4" top bearing cutter on my router table. I actually put the template on the back, just lined up by eye and mark with a pencil. That way you can trim on the bandsaw close to the line to get close. I was thinking a robo sander would be good to get up to the line as well. Then over to the router table for a pass. Getting as close to the line with the bandsaw first is fairly important as it minimizes material cutting and thus reducing possibility of tear out. The first time I tried it I blew apart a headstock, because I knew nothing about uphill or downhill routing and tried to take too much material. Also you could do it without the bandsaw step but just take shallow passes until you are through. Thanks again for the endorsement.

Cheers Peter.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

Hi Pshupe
    This headstock template like your inlay template is very cool and a must have for anybody wanting their guitar build to be flawless and correct!!!!
    Thanks, Sunburstman

8. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

Thanks Peter!

9. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Hey Sunburstman and silverkw - glad you like the headstock templates. Out of all the templates and jigs I have made, this is definitely one of the best and most foolproof. I had made a couple of one off HS templates where I experimented with tuner hole size, and HS inlay geometry. I think this is the best so far. Thanks

Cheers Peter.

10. Shandog

Shandog Senior Member

Thats nice Peter. Well done.

11. monsterwalley

monsterwalley Premium Member

Just got my HS template a couple days ago. Top Notch for sure :thumb:

12. Kas

Kas Junior Member

Mine arrived today! Thanks Peter, very nice indeed. :applause:

13. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Thanks guys - I'm glad you like them. These are great little templates. I also have some other templates that Tom Bartlett is selling on his site. They are quite handy as well and really take the tedium / apprehension out of cutting inlay pockets. Here is a link to my fretboard inlay template thread, check them out. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/239842-fretboard-inlay-template.html

Thanks guys I appreciate the interest. I'm having fun making these things up.

Cheers Peter.

2 people like this.
  14. Frank65

Frank65 Junior Member

Hi Peter,
    is there any chance that you ship a template to germany ?

regards Frank

15. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

Received template from Peter.

It's very solid and well made, plus it looks freaking awesome. I am sure it will be handy once I started building.

Thanks a lot Peter!

16. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Frank65. Yes no problem to Germany. I think it is only a couple of dollars more and because it is so small it qualifies as a letter and is actually quite speedy.

Silverkw - you are very welcome. Glad you like it.

Cheers Peter.

1 person likes this.
  17. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Just checked to Germany, and pretty much most places in Europe are the same price as North America. It is also quite quick because it is classified as a letter so it will be 5-7 days only.

Cheers Peter.

18. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

"BUMP" - Hello gentlemen, I hope this finds you well. I just thought I would bump this thread as I have just been laid off from work and can now dedicate a little more time to my templates. I have a few of these left so please let me know if you are interested and depending on demand I may get some more cut. Please do not hesitate to PM me if you have any questions at all. Thanks.

Cheers Peter.

1 person likes this.
  19. closed_PaulSlack

closed_PaulSlack Premium Member

Peter,

I'm going to order one of these in any event, but I have a question also.

Is there any way you can somehow incorporate a guide for where the wings would be or do you think that wouldn't be useful? I was thinking of a slot or something down each side?

Dunno. It's your baby.

20. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Hey Paul - that is an interesting addition, but I think that would be just a measurement of the thickness of the neck. The wings, IMHO, were probably originally a cost saving measure so that there wouldn't be so much waste of wood as it is a small amount that has to be that thick. I think for most people the thinner the neck the better because it is easier to joint / plane, and keep flat, and obviously the price of the thinner wood is a consideration. Thanks.

Regards Peter.