Headstock damage.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jackangus, Sep 21, 2017.

1. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

Just to play it safe you could wick some thin CA around the cracks to stabilize it.

2. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

What is CA?

3. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

4. frankr442

frankr442 Junior Member

If it's poly (polyurethane I assume), can't you use a drop of gloss polyurethane with an artists' brush to touch up the chip?

5. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Not as far as the luthier thinks.
    He thinks it will look worse.

6. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I'd leave it alone. The bright side (assuming you're right-handed) is that it's on the underside of the headstock, where you'll never see it in normal playing conditions.

Jackangus and northernguitarguy like this.
  7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

You're welcome! Good beer, too. Unless you go wild like Steve Vai, those will do the trick. The harder they are to get on, the harder it will be to have them slip. If your strap is decent thick leather, expect some success.

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Hmmm.... opinions vary. I'm surprised that a luthier would not feel able to do a decent color match and physical restoration. Restorers match colors all the time and this one's pretty generic. I would not hesitate to fix this if it were mine. On the other hand, though, a bad repair is horrible -- worse than the original damage -- and this is just cosmetic anyway. I always fix stuff because I can, but if I didn't want to spend money or couldn't find a confident repai person, I'd happily leave it as is, or at most seal it w/ shellac.

9. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Buy a strap lock and just leave it. It's just cosmetic.

10. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Do i need to worry about the exposed wood?
    I have contacted another luthier and awaiting their call. I don't mind spending some money to get it fixed.
    I found it a little strange the other guy could not do anything. I'm guessing he was not confident enough.

11. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

i suspect luthier 1 said what he said because he figures it is not worth the effort or time, note.. his effort or time.. i know a luthier who sometimes passes on this kind of work because
    1. he doesnt enjoy it
    2. he would charge crazy money for it
    3. he would simply say it is part ofthe mojo
    4. doessnt affect integrity of the instrument.

so above is all good andwell, except it isnt about the luthiers wants, it is about yours as a customer. so long story short, prob the kind of luthier i avoid.

northernguitarguy and Jackangus like this.
  12. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Sounds about right.
    I have come across a few luthiers who only want to dance to the beat of their own drum.
    The trouble is luthiers are few and far between, which means they can pick and choose their work. And charge crazy money too.

guidothepimmp likes this.
  13. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

In defense of the luthiers, they are in business to make money as well as keep the instruments playable. Sometimes it just isn't worth doing what is necessary for a given instrument. Unless it's a special (family heirloom, "had it for 40 years", etc) situation, every luthier who's been in business for any length of time turns down work on a regular basis. Can it be filled and color matched? Absolutely! Are you willing to spend $500+ for someone who knows what they're doing to accomplish this? (Fill the area, sand it flat, run 4-8 test color matches, tape the guitar and shoot the color and clear, level sand and buff) Probably not. Economics generally dictate the level of work.