Headrush vs. Helix LT... who will end up on top?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, Apr 16, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHA - I brought in and fired it up after work - still going strong!! :D

2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

3. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

I had to congratulate Pete on that demo. Really great arrangement and production. Not to take anything away from what he did with the Headrush he really made it sound great, but at this point i'm pretty much convinced he could nail a piano wire to a 2x4 and connect it to a tin can with a strand of spaghetti and make it sound epic :)

4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I agree regarding PT's talent. I dunno... I guess the Headrush sounds good. I still wish people demo'ing gear would spend a little time striking big open chords and let then decay... it is easier to judge amp models in this way.

Also, in the demo video, he used a real JMP-1 head into the effects loop for some of the tones. Why? Is it because the actual amp is much better than the modeled JMP in the Headrush? It's possible that he just wanted to demonstrate that the Headrush can be used in that way, as an effects board with the modeling off, but you also have to consider that the modeled JMP in Headrush just doesn't sound as good.

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I'm with Ken. THe early PODs and Spyders may not compare to today's tech, but they were always at the forefront of the tech. Spyder was really the first of it's breed, a low cost modeler combo amp. And, they stood by their products.

Eleven rack abandoned theirs.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  6. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I started my Line 6 journey with a Spider amp. It may have not sounded the best, but it was great fun and a nice toe in the water of the modeling world. I still have it and the foot board and it still works great. After the Spider I bought a JTV-59, also a very solid and well performing product. Then a POD HD500X and finally a Helix! I also have a Line 6 4x12 cabinet with Celestion speakers that is flawless.

Line 6 is making great products and they stand behind them all. The Helix is such a solid piece of gear and performs so well. I never had a problem with mine and I enjoyed it a lot. I also bought a Kemper because I was just hearing too much good stuff to not try one out. The only reason the Kemper won out for me was the tabletop footprint. I only play at home and I didn't really need the tank built floor unit so the Helix moved on to a happy user!

Donal and cybermgk like this.
  7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

And I think their gear has always been good for the times (available tech at the time) and the price points they were selling at. When the Spyders first came out, at that price point you weren't going to get better sounding modelling amps. As time moved on, and what CAN be done gets better, so has their products. Helix is now up there with as good as is out there. It's just that Line 6 has been IN modelling so long, they have products that go back to when modelling, was frankly, just not that good (no matter who made it).

Sp8ctre likes this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Donal likes this.
  9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

^^^^Gear for sale. F'k it. I'm going fishing. ^^^^

10. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I think what you see with this and ANY device like this is the importance of effects. This is where I have the most difficulty understanding some that say

"I don't use effects"

I think that is such a limiting attitude to me that i really have difficulty understanding it. This effects importance is one of the reasons I play an AXE FX. I use effects and love the ability it gives me..

11. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Well, as you well know, since you and I have had this conversation before, I am one of those guys that says I don't use effects. lol
    But what I should really be saying, I guess, is that I use effects, but I use them as effects. I do not leave a reverb on my sound 100% of the time. I do not run a delay on my sound 100% of the time. I know alot of guys who do rely on FX for their main sound, I do not.
    I could, and did, happily go out and play gigs in certain situations, with my guitar plugged straight into my amp.
    I tend to use effects as color. A nice rotary on a clean or break up tone, a chorus on a clean tone, maybe some reverb on a part to create a vibe, Maybe a flange or phaser in a bridge for effect.
    But my main tone is down and dirty with just amp to cab, and I use effects sparingly for color and setting a mood or vibe during a specific part.

Donal likes this.
  12. frankv

So in effect you use effects. It's just that simple. You use them to enhance your tone and guitar work. You use them as they are designed to be used. You call on them when your creativity calls for them. You don't "overuse" them.

You are not a
    "I don't use effects and plug straight in"

Kind of guy.