Headrush vs. Helix LT... who will end up on top?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I can tell you I used to use podfarm all the time and there are huge advantages for reamping purposes. Load up podfarm on all my guitar tracks and I don't have to commit to any one amp sound, it can literally be changed at the drop off a hat. If I owned a helix owner i would get native. Not to mention of y are in a situation where you have your helix at rehearsal, and you are at home you can still create patches and just dump them onto the helix. A lot of uses.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Hmmm, that part might be useful....didn't think of that.

3. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I would not invest more than a few bucks into a plugin, over any dedicated hardware. Been there. Too many variables with PCs and Macs. You already know my opinion, Pop. I love the tone I heard from Fractal, so I went AX8 as I knew once I dialed in some sounds, I would just be using the knobs and buttons and not heavily needing to tweak. Does it have the same quadthunderchicken processors? OK, I can't run more than 6 delay pedals at high quality before hitting the redline. It runs the same SOFTWARE so it sounds the same.

You were asking about price and LCD screens, etc... The money is in the software development. Good product takes hundreds to thousands of hours of programming. Can you imagine how many hours Fractal has into their code??? Adding any new user interface component to the mix could be a complete re-write of UI code (blah). ...and that doesn't give you better tone! "OK guys! We need to add a color LCD. I am going to need you all to stop working on that JCM800 code and move onto making this thing look good." I don't even want to tell you how much time I have in making the Mustang Bluetooth capable. I decided it would not be worth my time to move forward to try and make money on it.

Hardware, when it comes to a/d d/a conversion has to be fast (latency) and is why running a dedicated modeler is best. I think all the modelers are fast enough at this now.

Also, a guitar 1 or 20 years old can still be a great tool, so I too have not had much of a problem buying multiple guitars I really don't need. You can flip them and not have to worry about the next model making yours obsolete.

I tried to write this at lunch and got interrupted 50 times. Hope it makes sense!

4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Wow -- the Headrush is getting completely eviscerated on other forums. Sounds like an impulsive decision to launch too early is really going to bring some negative energy to the product's momentum.

I'd still like to get my hands on one just to see how the interface "feels".

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I've yet to hear a GOOD traditional guitar tones demo of it.

6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Helix itself supports total reamping on mulitple streams! Saw a great demo on it where buddy sent the unmodified guitar signal to a DAW and then routed it back into several Helix Channels and then applied the amp SIMS and effects.

7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I could see how Native would be a plus for some. I can also see it as a selling point for big brother. I've tried hard to figure out what LT won't do for me and I can't. I think it's the clear winner for me. I'm trying to hold out for a coupon deal, but might waver here pretty quick.

MLP is the only place I hang out and the only info I trust. I don't read other forums. If you google HR though, it takes you on an entertaining journey. It's hard for a struggling small business owner like me to understand how some of the big boy marketing departments work. As X would say "*shakes head*".

8. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I received a GC catalog in the mail yesterday, indicating a huge sale was to begin on 4-20. In 2 days you should be able to get a nice discount.

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Thanks. Heard that. I'll be all ears. Tried a MF one today that didn't fly.

10. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I got the flyer, it's not that huge... basically Studio Deluxe IV for $1000, and Traditional Pro IV for $1500, nothing much else of substance in that sale.

11. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

It`s simple, for example my Helix is in the band practice room most of the time. So with Helix Native I can experiment with tones/setups etc on my PC at home without having to connect my Helix (like today) and then just load them to my Helix later ;)

So I will buy the Native as soon as it comes out because it will complement my Helix.

12. Pwrmac7600

If the plug in is anything like Amp Farm and Pod Farm it will literally sound exactly the same the the hardware. And as I previously stated, reamping is more than just slightly easier. There is no recabling, and you can reamp multiple guitar tracks with different amp and cab configurations simultaneously. With the hardware you would be forced to reamp 1 track at a time.and you would then have to record that reamp to a track in order to do the next track. With the plug in, you can play around with different amp configurations on the fly, without having to record them. So if you wanted to hear what the track would sound like with a JCM through a V30 4X12 on the left, and a Recto through a 2X12 on the right, you can do it on the fly without having to commit and wait until the reamp is done recording to hear how it sounds. For someone who does strictly recording, a daw version is a HUGE plus. If Fractal released a DAW plug in tomorrow I would buy it in a second, although there's would no doubt be astronomically priced...

13. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I haven't had an opportunity to look at either the LT or the Headrush; I'm working with the Helix these days, and I'm not sure I want to give up much of what the Helix has. Moreover, I can now buy a used Helix for about what the LT or Headrush costs.

The Helix can be programmed via computer software; I dunno if the Headrush can be. The Helix has room for a couple of additional expression pedals, the Helix has four FX loops and it has Variax connectivity, which is a really big deal if you have a Variax. I don't know how the foot switches work on the Headrush, but you should get familiar with how they work on the Helix; they're really not just stomps. If the Headrush comes from the same company as the Eleven Rack, I'm not buying; I've got no faith in their ability to support a product. The Helix has some really carefully thought out and implemented ergonomics. The Headrush has copied the look, but I'm thinking NOT the functionality. It's obvious that the Helix is the industry leader there; the fact that the Headrush imitates it is testament to that.

Just as I'd be disinterested in an AX8 or FX8 and would rather have the full-blown Axe-FX, or the HD500 rather than the HD300, I think I'd much rather have the Helix than its "Lite" running mate or the Headrush. Personal opinion only, and that could easily change if I get one to play with.

14. KenG

KenG Senior Member

^^ I think if you like the Helix you'd be happy with the LT as well. Unless of course you need the extra 2 stomp switches, aux in, and doubled up IO. From what I've read the size of the button labels in performance view are the size of the scribble scripts so n real loss there.

15. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

The dedicated Headphones Volume Knob on the Helix (not on the LT) comes in really handy, and, if Helix Native software (expected in late June) may be of interest to you, Helix owners get a $300 discount on Helix Native. Helix LT owners get a $99 discount on Helix Native.

16. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

It's the little things sometimes. The gap is a lot closer on the Line 6 products vs the Fractal also. The AXE FX and AX8 are a world apart.

17. Jackstand Johnny

Jackstand Johnny Junior Member

Ive been drooling over the Helix, then the Helix LT came out and now this. Ive watched long tutorials on both and to me just from a face value standpoint, the Headrush is winning. MUCH larger screen, touch screen(which can suck if something goes wrong), onboard expression pedal(You can buy one for the Helix for an extra $200 or something like that).

I have a massive pedalboard. Not too many effects but Ive got 10 effects with a PXL Pro looper, Onespot CS12 Pro isolated power supply and its all mounted on top or underneath a Trailer Trash Pro pedalboard. It weighs a ton, it took me weeks to make all the patch cables, it cost a small fortune(to me, around $600 or $700 I think) and theres SOOOOOO many things that can go wrong. So many different parts and points of failure. I also have a prosthetic left leg(above the knee with very little residual limb) so stomping around it a serious pain in the ass. Put it all together and you can see how something like the Helix or Headrush is a godsend. Yeah Line 6 has been around a while now but they are really hit or miss with their products. I cannot speak for customer service but maybe I should call both companies with a fake problem and see who is better meaning, who puts me on with an intelligent human the fastest. The only caveat to one of these is its a massive investment up front where as my pedalboard cost me a lot, but over a long period and just a little at a time. So Id have to basically sell my entire rig at once to be able to buy one of these. Luckily Im sure everyone will have the exact same taste in pedals as I do...yeah...

18. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Line 6 has a permanent member on TGP (Frank R) who has demonstrated countless times the commitment of Line 6 towards it's customers. I think you are missing something if you think Line 6 products have been "hit & miss" while ignoring Eleven Rack's product support and lack of progress over the years.
    The POD HD Series was decent but the Helix HX is another ballgame. There is a huge user community out there (thousands of Helixes sold to date) and for most part folks have been fairly impressed with both the Helix and the LT. Can't say that yet for the Headrush which was "rushed" out with things like Editing SW still TBD and modells that apparently sound much like their Elevn RAck processor whihc is waht a decade old? Yes a touch screen is nifty but from what I've been reading and see in demos it's just ridiculously easy to navigate on the Helix/LT and it's one of the products selling points.

MusicLaw, Donal and Pop1655 like this.
  19. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Well said. The Helix is a BEAST. A little over a year into using mine, and I am still only scratching the surface. It has been bullet-proof, too. It is used 6-8 times a month on gigs. It travels - shoot, right now it is sitting in the trunk in 96 degree, 150% Florida heat and humidity. It STILL fires up effortlessly. The modeling is SO awesome that guys I know from international death metal bands have jammed on it and started to move toward 100% modeling (mostly Kempers). The editor is fabulous. Manipulating/editing on the Helix is fabulous/effortless. It is a proven winner at this point.

MusicLaw, Donal and Pop1655 like this.
  20. Pwrmac7600

OMG you better knock on some fucking wood right now! :Ohno::run::slap: