Headrush vs. Helix LT... who will end up on top?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The Headrush has been released simultaneously with the Helix LT. They are direct competition for each other.... same price.

Helix has a strong initial foothold due to the already popular Helix Floor and Helix Rack. Initial reviews of the Headrush seem positive. I guess it's not rocket science anymore, plus 11 Rack has been in the game for years.

Love to see how who will be on top in a year in the $1000 modeling pedal category.

2. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Oh my!!!! I seriously need to hear more opinions on this, both the product and the company.

I have to say if I were going into this with no bias and looking at the two side by side at the same time, for the first time; Headrush would win.

3. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Seriously!!!! What am I missing?
    More features, bigger screen, better case, well respected company.

Does Helix really have far superior guts, or these days is everybody pretty much playing with the same stuff?

4. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

My only worry would be because the Headrush is still an unproven product.
    before even considering purchasing a Headrush I would want to see how they perform out in the market. What the support is like, and what kind of upgrade support they give.

Rhust likes this.
  5. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

These vids aren't recorded the best, but they are the first semi real listen to the Headrush.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBFzZHZm788"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBFzZHZm788[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAt_hSOMK4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAt_hSOMK4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgJblQ-sZ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgJblQ-sZ8[/ame]

6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I get this is a factory sales pitch, but it does leave a better impression to me
    http://www.soundonsound.com/news/headrush-pedalboard-demoed-namm

Definitely some criticism on TGP. One reference to Pod sounding. Still, I'm intrigued and want to know more. From strictly the point of view of a rookie, uneducated bedroom guy, the way it's set up and works is more appealing to me. That's all for naught if the tone isn't there. It's a game changer if the tone is there. I'll be watching.

7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Buy AXE, Kemper or Helix. Buy ONCE and be happy. Saving money is not the goal here. Your lasting pleasure is. :thumb:

Boy I seem like a broken record don't i.

Rhust and lakeburst like this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

That comment has been much more applicable in previous discussions.
    I was on the verge of buying Helix LT. I don't consider that saving money. I consider that stepping up to the level appropriate for my needs.

The question is does Headrush enter into that equation?

If you say Headrush is a toy compared to Helix LT, that's news I can use.
    I saved money when I bought the Pod. That part of the conversation has passed.

9. frankv

I don't think Headrush is a toy. I can't have that opinion because I never used it. From what I hear, i do not like the distorted tones that are coming through.

All I can say is there are troves or guys that have used and reported on the other devices and it would seem to me reinventing the wheel is not necessary. Go with a proven, supported, community enhanced device where you won't be second guessing yourself 2 weeks down the road when HeadRush isn't selling and the company has no incentive to support it.

if it was on the market 2 years then I would say you could get better opinions of it. But do you want to be the beta tester now? I say that because you will be a beta tester of the device, the support, the company and everything else that goes along with it.

10. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

My gut agrees with that.
    First reaction that comes to mind is a Bugera analogy.
    Would like to learn if that thought holds water.
    The Headrush IS a nice looking piece.
    I'd hate to sink it on a bad analogy.

11. frankv

Have you given much thought to a Fractal AX8? Thats a company unsurpassed in customer support.

12. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I have, but not to the extent you'd like. Helix was winning in my mind so far.
    I'd rather make that a separate conversation. I hope this stays an A vs B.

13. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Firmware downloads aren't available yet. Text from website: "A driver and firmware update are on their way to unleash HeadRush Pedalboard’s USB Audio Interface capabilities..."

It also references a Windows Audio Driver is 'on its way', but says nothing about Mac.

14. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Cart before the horse?

15. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Eleven Rack has been inactive for a long time in the game. Support for their old products died altogether for many years. I'd personally be leery of jumping on an untried platform like this with a company with this history. It also looks like a clone of the LT and one reviewer thought the models were basically the same as in the older 11R product!
    For me it's a no brainer to go Helix LT. It has the Helix engine and Helix modelling and Helix FW not some altered version of it. Most of the cost savings where in chassis design as bent metal is a lot cheaper than extruded aluminum and as a home player it would be more than rugged enough. Line 6 has demonstrated a commitment to this product and I'd expect with their two flagship products using the same FW there's good bang for the buck in supporting them long term as they are in the infancy in terms of life-cycle.

Oh and there are some Youtube demos side by side between the Helix and Helix LT and they sound identical as expected.

Rhust and Sp8ctre like this.
  16. Rocco Crocco

If the Headrush sounds good, is well made, and receives great support from their company, then it is a good buy. Helix already does those things well.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  17. Rocco Crocco

11 Rack probably got wind of the release of the Helix LT, and rushed their product to market. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if it were me and I were patient, I would wait and see how the Headrush shakes out 6 months or a year from now. If you want something now, IMO Helix LT would be a great option.

18. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

This. Avid, 11 rack, whomever already has a history of abandoning their users, as far as updates etc.

The old 11 rack wasn't as good sounding as today's Helix, Axe, or Kemper. And I still don't think it does. I actually think the Amplifire sounds better. GRANTED limited vids and sound bites.

We KNOW the Helix, Axe, Ax8, Kemper has the 'sh*t'. Headrush, time will tell. Why risk it over PROVEN commodities? It isn't even bringing anything new to the party.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  19. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

That, right there, puts it behind the Helix, Axe etc. 11 rack was compared to HD Pods, and sometime lost, sometimes won as to which sounded better to a person.

Seems like an 11 rack, from years back in a floor unit.

20. KenG

KenG Senior Member

It seems some folks are forgetting the LT is a full blown Helix in every respect functionally except for some additional IO (all original IO except Aux Aud is there just not in same Qtys), a MIC pre-amp (what ever the heck that was for) and scribble scripts which the performance view provides instead and only 8 stomp switches instead of ten. It is not a step down in performance. It is not an AX8 to AXE FX II, not even remotely.