Headrush Floorboard??

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by El Pablo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Anyone here have any experience with these? The easy interface looks like a big step forward for dummies like me. I just can't find much in the way of buyer experience and reviews. I never fully trust magazine articles an gear demos.

Thanks!

2. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Do some Googling and searching and you'll read on one of the biggest PR launch failures in marketing history. I haven't read on the current stats, but the initial response was grim. Like you, it looked like a cool alternative to me. Reading made me shy away. My personal opinion is that it's an old product in a new package. Not a worthy competitor of the big three. I'm happy I decided to go another direction.

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  3. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Chappers &The Captain have a decent demo on it. I think there's been some updates and the functionality is fine, touch screen is good but I still don't care for models much. It looks like it has some of Helix's routing power but not quite all of it IMO.

AmpedUp and El Pablo like this.
  4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

echoing what the others said, I don't feel like the tone is there... like they added routing functionality to the old eleven rack... the eleven was great at the time, but has been out dated for a number of years... I think the firehawk or HD500X are probably better tones, or at least equal...

but for the same price, a helix LT is unbeatable, and the amplifire 12 is better on tones than the headrush, for less money.

AmpedUp, El Pablo and Pop1655 like this.
  5. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Cool. Thanks guys. Helpful replies.

I'm all about tone chasinh, but I'm admittedly shy of jumping all-in on these new high powered modelers. A few years ago, I spent all of a weekend fumbling with HD500. I couldnt wait to send it back. The interface and tones that I came up with were not a good experience. Self-admittedly, that was in large part a fault of user-error too. It was just complicated to dial in for a simpleton like me. Are the new units getting A LOT easier for user interface?

6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

apples and oranges...

I looked at the HD500 when they came out, and had a difficult time with it, so I never pulled the trigger...
    the HELIX on the other hand... COMPLETELY intuitive, never needed the manual, never need the computer, except for firmware updates and loading new IRs.... that was a major factor for me.. it needed to be stupid simple, like me. the HELIX has the BEST user interface... all 4 major modelers (kemper, axe,helix and amplifire) have great tone, with minor variations.. but user interface doesn't get easier than the helix.. I'm not sure how it is with the kemper, but I can't imagine using the axe or Amplifire on those tiny green one color screens only... so I'd think you are always using the PC for editing... I was creating fresh patches within an hour and getting great tones from it out of the box... presets can be 'meh' but presets are designed to show possibilities. some are quite good, even out of the box.

the headrush looks like a good interface too, but the tone lacks behind the others...

the other consideration is updates... helix ax and kemper all have proven reliable on expanding their tone base... helix is a little newer,so fewer updates so far, but the line 6 team has been adamant in saying their strategy is to provide years of updates, not make the product obsolete in a few years, the way they have in the past... axe and kemper have been doing that all along, and line 6 finally shows that they are moving that way too, with 4 helix products: rack, floor, LT, native sharing a common software.

all 4 have great communities, that I have not seen an equivalent for headrush...

7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

A friend of mine who is an "expert" on his HD500 came over to demo the Helix. He almost cried at how much EASIER and "better" it is the HD500. He said a lot of the parameters are easier to work through and that the cabs were WAY better. He also REALLY liked the idea of the 3rd party IRs.

For me, I jumped from first generation modelers to the Helix (I did dabble with a Firehawk). It was SOOOOO intuitive to use that I had created a number of patches within an hour.

8. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I played my tube amp the other day... first time since I bought the helix... understand, before the helix, I was perfectly happy... the tone on the 6505MH, especially the crunch channel was "perfect" to me... within 15 minutes I plugged the helix into the return, did no tweaking other than turning off the cab/IR, and was BLOWN away but how good it sounded... I was using the MH in 20w mode, lower volume, so there was no "tube tone in the equation, it was just a clean power supply for the 1x12 cab... but it sounded like a huge amp, at whisper volume... better than the tube amp sounds even at "full-tilt boogie".

does it sound better than every tube amp, probably not... but it sound really F'n Good.

9. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

It's a GAS GAS GAS!

10. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Premier Guitar gave the Headrush their premier award, I think it looks cool, if they slash the price I might get one.

11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

they gave that to the helix, ax8, fx2, and kemper too... just sayin