headphones for transcribing

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by paradice, Jun 28, 2017.

1. paradice

paradice Senior Member

looking for suggestions/recommendations for headphones to use for transcribing

I was thinking of senheisser 650 and use them for pleasure listening too but dont think Im going to find a headphone that does both

Audio Technica m40x (supposedly flatter/more natural than m50x) and AKG K701 are 2 contenders so far

having trouble picking out the guitar notes in some effects heavy neo classical type stuff.... I can hear it better on my monitors (JBL LSR305) but need headphones for late night. So if any models could deal with that better than others that'd be good...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

Audiofly AF1120 IEMs may give you what you need, not cheap...

3. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Thanks....looking for over ear style for in the house really. Hadn't considered earbuds tbh.

Tried hd650 yesterday but they need an amp, can't be arsed with that

I overlooked somethibg actually....discovered the EQ settings on Transcribe last night....that's probably going to help more than new headphones!

jimmyjames likes this.
  4. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Yes the EQ settings in Transcribe! can come in really handy. Keep in mind you can manipulate each EQ slider independently. That is not the default. I don't remember exactly, but I think perhaps you right click with the mouse. Or maybe you hold the CTRL key and click on the slider.

5. paradice

paradice Senior Member

thanks...just tried, its the right mouse
    the eq presets are pretty extreme!

6. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I use M50X, and find them pretty good for getting the notes. First headphones I ever had where I can accurately transcribe bass guitar - but I use DT100s a lot, and they don't do bass! However, if it's mid frequencies, those are very detailed.

7. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Member

I use a pair of AKG 270 MKII headphones to transcribe using Transcribe. They are wonderful headphones and I also use them for mixing.

8. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Member

When transcribing bass I shift the pitch of the song up an entire octave. It really makes the bass parts pop out.

9. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

That is a very cool idea - thanks!