Headphones for late night jams What to buy?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by irocdave12, Jun 30, 2017.

1. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Don't know squat about what's good in headphones. If you got $150 to buy phones for playing guitar mainly what would you be buying? Should I buy studio isolation monitor style or a open air over ear design? Looking at these Telefunken cans as a possibility for studio musicians they sell but don't know how good they are
    Option 1
    http://store.t-funk.com/p/thp-29-isolation-headphones?pp=24

Option 2? Way more money
    http://store.t-funk.com/p/wiking-headphones?pp=24
    Also are wireless headphones inferior to old fashioned style with a cable regarding sound quality?

2. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

tolm likes this.
  3. Becker34

Becker34 Member

I'm a radio guy. I've got a pair of AKG K240's and a set of Sony MDR-7506. The Sony's are okay, IMO the low end isn't the greatest and they skew a little towards the mid highs and highs to the point I need to adjust my EQ when even listening to podcasts. They're pretty durable and not uncomfortable. They're a closed ear design. I sometimes find them fatiguing on long sessions. These are my #2. They should be available for $80-$100 USD.

My AKG's are by far my favorite headphones I've ever used. They're very comfortable. They may lean a little heavy on the low end, but the bass isn't overbearing or farty. They are not fatiguing over long periods of use for me. They seem to more closely mirror some of the better studio monitors I've used. They're semi-open, which I don't have a problem with. A nice feature is the mini XLR cable which can be replaced. Biggest drawback, IMO is that their impedance is higher than most cans (not a bad as they were in years past) so if the device you're plugging them into has a lower output you may not get enough juice out of them. Example: If I want to use them with my phone, I usually have to crank it all the way up. It's not an issue when I use them with a broadcast board or even my laptop. You should also be able to find them for around $80 USD.

Again, a lot of personal preference goes into these. Hopefully there's a store by you where you can try some different models out, or if you have any friends that do studio work, check with them.

C_Becker likes this.
  4. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

+1 for AKG and Sennheisers, however, I ended up with a pair of these...

IMG_0791.JPG

Audio Technica ATH M20X

Light as anything, around £45 from Amazon UK ( hopefully USA too if that's where you are) and was really impressed with how they sound for the money.

(Used to use DT100's back the days of running live sound, but not sure you'd get a new set in budget - but they were heavy for long periods of wear!)

5. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I have the "on ear" equivalent - forget the exact model - and they are excellent as well. I wanted something I could use for music, movies on planes, all sorts - for long guitar jams I suspect the over ear ones would offer superior comfort.

I also have some older AKG over ear headphones which I bought specifically for guitar ... they're comfortable, but the Sennhesiers blow 'em away for sound quality. To be fair, they were a lot cheaper ...

Travis19 likes this.
  7. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 Pro over ear headphones (in the newer style) and they are pretty good and not too expensive. I think I paid 100-120 new a couple years ago. They work well and accurately reproduce sound, and are very lightweight and comfy.

8. efstop

efstop Senior Member

If you're just using them for guitar, there's these, but not sure they're available in the US anymore. Can also be used as standard headphones. I would have bought a pair but I already had an AmPlug and a cheap pair of Sony 'phones.

http://www.voxamps.com/amphone

9. ryanmichael95

ryanmichael95 Senior Member

Nice Sony's from Target. They sound awesome.