Headphone amp and headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by The_Nuge, Feb 16, 2018.

1. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Hi!
    I have a question that's not 100% related to recording, but here goes anyway:
    I wan't to get a set of open or semi-open headphones to use for mixing and hifi use. They have to be beyerdynamic, as I can get those heavily discounted, but can therefore be expensive ;)
    What would you go for? DT-1990 or would DT-880 or 990 "do it"? The price difference is quite big...

Now for the other question: I need a digital and analog headphoneamp for my stereo. Must have digital coax and analog rca inputs, and ideally also "throughputs" for those. USB would be nice, but not essential. What available and good here?

Cheers!

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hi Es,

Did you get a set of headphones yet? Curious as to what you think of them. I have not tried any of those models but I do know that I would gravitate to the DT-1770 instead of any that you mentioned. I like closed cans for studio work and also live mixing. Nothing worse that click track bleeding from the headphones into the mics. And for live, if it's a loud mix, open backs are next to useless.

The_Nuge likes this.
  3. JohnyWalter

JohnyWalter Junior Member

DT-880 the sound quality, definition, and staging of these headphones is second to none. they are superb, really. the only negatives i could list are that they are heavy, but that's to be expected with large magnets. and my last critique would be the exposed wire between the headphones and the headband - each time i take them off or adjust them, or put them on, my thumbs or fingers press against them. i'm concerned this might cause them issue over time.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    The_Nuge likes this.
  4. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Hi!
    Just saw that you guys replied to my thread....
    I ended up getting the beyerdynamic DT880 Edition in the 250 Ohm version and an aune X1S 10th anniversary headphone amp. I'm very happy with both!
    I haven't used the phones for studio stuff yet, but they do work very well as hifi-phones!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018