Head count for Modelling sub-forum

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by KenG, Dec 10, 2015.

Would you like a sub-Forum for modelling in the Sqawk Box

Poll closed Dec 14, 2015.
  1. Yes I'm very interested and would participate in the forum

46 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Yes I think it's fine but likely won't spend much time here

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. Abstain - I have no opinon one way or the other

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. No, I don't think it's necessary

11 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Thank you! :wave:

1 person likes this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I found a Robin Trower preset on AXE Exchange. Wait till you hear my recording of Bridge Of Sighs... :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. frankv

You deserve the shout out..

1 person likes this.
  4. Christian V

Christian V Member

I agree 100% - I believe I am going to jump in with the Helix.

It's funnny, as a semi-pro photographer in a past life, the debate and conversation of modeler versus tube is so similar to the film versus digital in the late 90's early 2000's. We had the film versus digital comparisons (results), brand comparisons (gear), etc. etc. As a diehard film guy, the epiphany came after many hours in darkroom developing and printing out a beautiful print of a butterfly, only to have some guy with a digital camera run outside, snap a pic, and then print on a dye sub printer in 20 minutes. The results were breathtaking.

Seeing the results frankv and everyone else are getting with this gear leaves no question for me!

2 people like this.
  5. frankv

Welcome aboard. The analogy you use with film is one I have used somewhere in one of these theads. It is exactly the same thing that is happening with amplification. There are those that accept and move toward new technology and there are those that will deny it and fight it only to move to it in the end anyway.

For me, it was easy. Very rewarding and inspiring to say the least. I have no loyality to a material thing. An amp of any kind serves the player. Not the other way around. It is merely a tool that should be upgraded like a worn set of sockets are.

I have zero loyality to Fractal. If they fall behind and there is a better device introduced, Im there. But I can positively say that the Fractal and all it brings to the table far surpasses anything that can be done with any tube amp.... Just like the latest Nikon D4 blows away 35mm and in most cases larger format film.

6. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Marshall just released news of a new digital line up.... Why it Didn't run rampant here? because it wasn't a new tube amp is my guess

1 person likes this.
  7. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Great analogy. I used to be a keen amateur photographer, with a darkroom at home. As late as 1999 I was still using my faithful Nikon FE2 full in the knowledge that digital kit that could get anything like the results I was enjoying was well out of my price range. But it really did not take long for the technology to get better, and the prices to get lower.

Hasn't happened quite as fast with modeling amps, but some of the Fractal demos have drawn me to the same conclusion. I'm willing to invest to see if this really is what it seems.

Still never bought a "proper" digital SLR...

Liam

1 person likes this.
  8. frankv

Oh you are so right.. and isn't this the kind of thing that is and was bound to happen?

The reason you see Marshall and other amp companies ramping up production is because the sale of solid state modeling amps today is outpacing the sale of tube amps.

9. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

I'll be honest I'm shocked how good the Axe sounds. I didn't think it could be that good and always thought "my ears would know". I'm not trying to make this one thing VS another. But I always chuckle when people rip something because it's not a vaccuum tube so it's impossible to create the same sound blah blah blah when they haven't even tried it. It's like giving a little kid veggies and the kid says he doesn't like them, but hasn't ever tried them either. All good though. I'll just keep losing sleep every night. Frank I get what you were saying now about new inspiration. I played a lot. I play even more now. I've logged 30 hours since Friday night:naughty:

4 people like this.
  10. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I don't want to say we told ya so, but........

WE TOLD YA SO!:laugh2:

I consider myself, just as you do, to be very picky about my tone. When I first read Frank going on and on, and on, and on, and on, about the Axe FX I said the same thing to myself many of you did. I said it is just Frank's "flavor of the moment". Then I got curious and started googling. Then I made my purchase because I had to finally bite the bullet, and hear it for myself, it was the only way I would truly know. And from the first chord I struck of the Friedman BE and HBE I was hooked, and I silently apologized to Frank in my head for doubting him.....:laugh2:

11. frankv

One think you MUST know about me. I drop bad tone like a bad habit. It's apparent right? I mean 50 amps in 3 years.. I know good tone most of the time. So when I recommend something. Ya kinda gotta take it slightly seriously.. I am NOT a Fanboi by any stretch and will drop the AXE if they get slow and another modeler catches up.. It is just the way it is.. But as far as tube amps go.. Yeah, I'm done with them.. For me there is just no reason to have one..

Inspiration... Oh yeah.. and I remember some dude arguing with me about that.. I don't know if you remember that but it was a big to do.. Well, now you understand.. When you get tired on one tone you fire up another and start playing all over again.. Like you never sat down.. Am I right?

2 people like this.
  12. frankv

Mikey, you never have to apologize to me about anything. You are one of the finest people I have ever met.. In person or online... I mean that... :thumb: I wish I lived closer to you. We would be jamming all weekends long.

1 person likes this.
  13. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I have officially put in my amp request on the wish list thread over at the FF for the engl e651 artist edition. Would be so awesome to have a model of this one in the axe!!!

2 people like this.
  14. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Has anyone played the Amplifire? The videos I saw sounded good and many of the videos had players demonstrating edge of breakup tones that weren't buried in FX. I also noticed many positive comments on the feel of the unit. I understand that it doesn't have all the FX capabilities of the Axe or the cloning capabilities of the Kemper, but for only $600, I think I see a replacement for my current midnight/practice POD.

1 person likes this.
  15. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

So ummm, how's the wife liking the new Axe :laugh2:
    I'm afraid I might have this problem :D

1 person likes this.
  16. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

oh my make this happen man!!!!!!!!

17. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Yea I remember that and didn't question it because I had not played one at the time. Nor did I doubt you. So yeah moral of the story is don't blast something you haven't played. Because I've been playing nonstop since I bought it. Unreal!

1 person likes this.
  18. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

:laugh2:she goes to bed early and I sleep in. So it works perfect :applause:

1 person likes this.
  19. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Miley can you request some Randall's and Laneys too? :)

20. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I'm interested in these also, I think it would be the modeller of choice for me. I don't use many effects so it's the amp sims and footswitching which I'm interested in. It's very well featured for the price and by others experience the sims are supposed to be every bit as good as Fractal or Line 6 in both tone and feel. I hope they're right because the Aussie distributor is getting a new shipment in early Feb and I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge. :hmm:

3 people like this.