Head count for Modelling sub-forum

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by KenG, Dec 10, 2015.

Would you like a sub-Forum for modelling in the Sqawk Box

Poll closed Dec 14, 2015.
  1. Yes I'm very interested and would participate in the forum

46 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Yes I think it's fine but likely won't spend much time here

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. Abstain - I have no opinon one way or the other

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. No, I don't think it's necessary

11 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Well Rocco Crocco'sThread got some good responses and it was suggested that a Poll would give the Mod's some numbers to work with so with that in mind how do you feel about a sub-forum in the Squawk Box for modelling equipment?

Choices are:

• Yes I'm very interested and would participate in the forum
    • Yes I think it's fine but likely won't spend much time here
    • Abstain - I have no opinon one way or the other
    • No, I don't think it's necessary

I did vote BTW:thumb::naughty:

kevinpaul, gem12 and Rocco Crocco like this.
  2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

MLP loves polls.

I PM's Alex on Monday requesting the sub-forum. No response. Let's get the votes in and see how it shakes out, then maybe email him this time.

1 person likes this.
  3. gem12

gem12 Senior Member

I'm in....been using modelers for the longest time from BOSS GT5 to 100 and now got got another 1 a ME80. They are awesome. :slash:

1 person likes this.
  4. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Yeah, yes.... Get them out of here.
    ;)

7 people like this.
  5. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

I'd love to think that amp and effects companies would use our input to foster new designs. Why wouldn't they?

This could be a great way to consolidate our thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  6. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

Two version-1 Fender Mustang amps here and the big half-stack is STILL my go-to amp when I want to play on one of my axes. I've keyed up good how-tos about these amps at the Fender Forum, which gave me lots of praise. Fender gave me free **** too because of it.

1 person likes this.
  7. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I voted for, but it seems like multi effects pedals are handled in the pedal subforum to Tonefreaks. It seems like it would dilute that forum to discuss pedals here. I think that the subforum being discussed here should stick to amplifiers.

8. KenG

KenG Senior Member

That would preclude AX FX, Helix, POD HDs and most of the Kemper line. A lot of high quality modellers don't include amplifiers.
    Effectors, like BOSS and other stuff concentrate on effects not modelling total sounds per se.
    Maybe we could draw the line at devices you can save/upload/download patches for.

9. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I am not impressed by the tones I get from any modeling amp or modeling "add ons" that I've been able to try yet. But I know these devices are improving, and are now used by players needing a wide variety of tones out of the same rig. So I voted "yes" for the good of the order here.

4 people like this.
  10. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Um yeah! From the clips I've been hearing (and I haven't heard a bad one) the newest modelers are the **** especially the AXE and the Kemper. I think I may test the waters :naughty:

11. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

Voted for....I really dig MLP and would like to spend more time here....I only have one amp anymore, and it sits in my office closet, being relegated there by my AxeFXII. Doesn't seem to be much modeler talk here except for lately, maybe a sub forum for it would bring in more traffic.

We have subforums for everything from pickups to Fenders, might as well have one for modelers too.

1 person likes this.
  12. screamingdaisy

screamingdaisy Senior Member

If you create a separate modelling sub-forum it'll guaranty that I'll never read any of the topics created in it because I'm never going to open that sub-forum.

That's great if you want to isolate traffic with regards to specialty topics so users don't fight/irritate each other, but not so great if you consider the number of people who aren't currently interested in modellers yet will still periodically click on a modelling thread just to keep up to date on the technology.

1 person likes this.
  13. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

:laugh2: :laugh2:

I really miss Frank's amp flipping

3 people like this.
  14. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

One of my favorite bands came to my town early this year from Seattle. For reasons of economy in transportation, the guitarist didn't bring an amp. Just a modeling device on the floor direct to the PA. While the tone wasn't anything I would want for my playing, he did rather well with it.

Then, I have recently been to several concerts by"Yes" with Steve Howe on guitar. I was shocked to see him playing through a Line 6 amp and (of course) sounding better than I ever will if I live to 150! Not quite my preferred tone, but a good one.

Guys, keep in mind that I am an old school believer that one needs a good tube amp. But it is becoming clear that much better players than me disagree.

Now, the proposed modeling sub forum shouldn't include the sort of pedal or rack mount effects that can be used with my tube amps. It should include only true modeling amps (like Steve Howe uses) or those devices meant to go direct from the guitar to the PA. Even though I am a die hard tube guy, I would be interested in involvement in discussion of true modeling amps and devices as they evolve.

And just because modeling technology now does not seem to fit well with MY playing (such as it is), does not mean that it does not now (or will not in the future) fit well with the playing of others -- because I have seen and heard (in person) that it does.

2 people like this.
  15. Fireproof

Fireproof Senior Member

Voted yes. Let's do this thing...

1 person likes this.
  16. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Yup! Bring it on! I've got two Fender Mustangs and just got a Yamaha THR10C. Those that disregard the modeling technology are simply overlooking tools to crafting their sound. Just as with any specialized gear, if you put in the time to get the best out of it, the gear can be very impressive and quite varied in character. Not for eveyone and not for every taste. It certainly deserves a sub forum for those interested in the gear.

17. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I'm with M & M. :thumb:

JK, I'm actually interested. I could see myself having two amps, a JMP50 with 4x12 and a modeller with a FRFR powered speaker. :hmm:

:hmm: :hmm: ...alright maybe 3 or 4 tube amps with a 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 and a modeller with a FRFR powered speaker. :p :D

2 people like this.
  18. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

C'mon let's get these vote numbers up!

19. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I'm down...

Actually I am constantly harassed by the idea that these digital modelers are awesome :hmm: yet i still want tube amps. I wish I was more open minded to the modelers.

20. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I use both.

I use a tube amp most of the time, but I also have a setup on my PC with a Pod UX2.

I use the UX2 when I need to play quietly or when I couldn't be arsed to fire up the rig.

Last couple of times I used a Line 6 Flextone on stage.
    Was doing a lot of covers from the 50's to the 90's, so it was handy having different amps modeled.