Having trouble logging on

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Dolebludger, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

And the trouble is only on MLP -- not on other sites I visit

2. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

mlp has been very slow for a couple of days,
    maybe there doing maintanance or something

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Premium Member

I keep getting a blank page.
    I`ve tried to post THIS post 3 times.

4. Dolebludger

I get a blank page for a while and then a notice hat the server isn't responding.

5. martin H

martin H Senior Member

Ditto. "not responsing" message more the 50% of the time for the last two days.

6. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

yeah, getting on the last couple days has been challenging, at best. a lot of hit and miss, with more miss.

7. Dolebludger

I wonder when (and if) a mod or admin is going to respond here and let us know what is going on.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Just glitches

9. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I've been having the same issues with this site the past two days.

10. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

*Mod Note*

Fellas, we're having some server issues. Alex is working on it as we speak.

Hang in there, all will return to normal before too long.

:)

13 people like this.
  11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Premium Member

Glad to know it's not just me.

12. Dolebludger

Glad also to know that it is not me needing a new computer. But still having periodic problems. And when I have them, I am now getting a screen that tells me that my computer and internet is fine, but the source has the problem. Hate to have to remind, but some of us are not on here for free, but are paid members.

13. LtDave32

Okay, I paid as well. note the Premium Member tab above my name. No discounts either.

You don't have to remind, because we're all quite aware of the problem, and those in charge of maintenance and repairs are doing their level best to deal with the problem. You'll just have to be patient. Vendors and Sponsors have paid a great deal more than you, and they're without access to this forum as well. -I don't hear them complaining.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at a statement like that. Especially out of a man like you.

3 people like this.
  14. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Duplicate

15. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Seriously?

I'm a UNIX engineer by profession and work with high availability AIX systems that need to provide 99.999% uptime. Customers pay hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to be provided that degree of reliability. Unless you have a contract with MLP that guarantees that kind of service and you paid that kind of money you can reasonably expect glitches once in a while. What are you in for?
    20 bucks?

I paid for my membership here too. I get so much more than my money's worth it's ridiculous trying to value the ROI. I'm on the forum all the time and it sucked being unable to browse and post the last couple days, but that's just the nature of the technology. **** breaks sometimes. Deal with it.

2 people like this.
  16. Dolebludger

Lt. Dave and Skyjerk.

I am sorry -- my comment came out wrong. What I meant is, if I were using this forum for free, I wouldn't bother to bring up the outage. How can you gripe about something that doesn't work that's free? You can't (or shouldn't). I don't want a rebate or a refund. And I didn't even intend to gripe -- just inform.

Also, the outage is sporadic where I am. After my first report, service came back on for a good while, then malfunctioned again. Just wanted to make sure nobody thought the problem was permanently fixed. If the service had been constantly off, I wouldn't have reported it again, but would have figured it was still being worked on.

Sorry

17. LtDave32

Alex (our owner/administrator) is working on some big improvements as we speak. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen overnight, and there will be some stoppages/outages/down-time.

We know this place is popular, and we know it's the evening event for hundreds, if not thousands of people.

No one likes their evening routine taken away, especially when they've worked all day, it's Friday, and they're eager to "get to the pub" so-to-speak to hobnob and rub elbows with their friends.

We get that, and we more than thank those who see this place in that way. We love you folks for it. We appreciate your loyalty and want you to stick to it and hang in there; each and every one of you.

All will be better when Alex makes his necessary changes and upgrades.

I know it's frustrating and annoying, fellas. It is for me too. I work here, and have a lot of "irons in the fire" that need tending.

2 people like this.
  18. Dolebludger

Lt, Dave,

Again, I am sorry for my poorly worded post. It was just that after the first batch of outages (and my first post asking about it) the site worked fine for maybe a half day. Then it was down again. I've had the same situation with my cable provider. I always notify them that service is down again. More than half the time the situation was that the cable company thought they had it fixed the first time, and didn't know service was down again. That was the spirit in which my last post was made.

And I don't expect 100% service just because I pay a small fee for membership. Everything breaks down and needs repair -- especially computer related stuff. And I am glad to learn (from your last post) that upgrades are in progress on this site. It is a very successful site with a heck of a lot of members and users, so I'm sure it needs upgrading from time to time. And that's a good thing.

1 person likes this.
  19. LtDave32

That's okay, Dole. We all get frustrated. No worries. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. LtDave32

Update:

MLP was the recipient of a DDoS attack on our server.

What I said about the uprgrades still holds true though, so there will be some delays/outages when that's going on, but this recent stuff was due to some DDoS hanky-panky.

Thanks again for your patience, folks.

1 person likes this.