Have you ever played a 12 string?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NorlinBlackBeauty, Dec 25, 2017.

Have you ever played a 12 string guitar?

1. No, but I’d like to

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. No, why bother?

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. No, I can barely deal with 6 strings

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. I thought they stopped at 7?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes, electric only

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Yes, acoustic only

43 vote(s)
    41.0%
  7. Yes, acoustic and electric

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  8. Bewbs

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  9. I like cheesecake

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. I own at least one - 12 string

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon

Custom53 likes this.
  2. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

I loved my Rickenbacker 360, although it wasn't a 12 string. Beautiful playing and sounding guitars. But I rarely played it because of the music we were doing at the time, so I sold it. And regretted ever since. I did pick up a Rickenbacker 350 later but I still miss that 360..

Ric 360.jpg

001.JPG

I love my 350 mainly because of this guy...! Although his was a 325...

John Ric Vox 2.jpg

3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

Thread tools link in the OP won't let you fix it? :dunno:

4. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

No. I just got around to asking two mods to change it for me.

5. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

I've played numerous 12 string guitars, both electric and acoustic, but have never owned one.

Player 1: How long have you been playing a 12 string guitar?

Player 2: 10 years.

Players 1: So, you have spent five of those years just tuning the thing.

6. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I owned a 12 string acoustic. To me, it was a cool gimmick for the first month, but didn't really fall in love with the sound. Just didn't feel the need to play "wanted dead or alive"

Traded it in for a 6 string acoustic I would actually use.

7. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I've owned a 12-string in the past. A Yamaha I picked up in a pawn shop in the early 90s. Sold it to a student.

I like them and would like to get another one at some point. I haven't bought a new acoustic in 20 years. I fear I may feel the same as many of you where it's cool at first but then it wears off. It would be fun fun to use at church.

Who likes this.
  8. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

That green one is sweet!!!

That said.......I really like how this one sounds.

9. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

A 12 string was my #1 for a decade. I traded my first nice electric and amp for it. I still played everything I always played. Sometimes I plugged it into my pedals and amp and wailed out the garage band songs of my youth, other times I kept my classical repertoire fresh under my fingers.

Currently have an Alvarez Yairi dreadnought and a Takamine jumbo. My first was an Alvarez jumbo, it's the one i drug around for a decade and played the s--t out of. When the neck on that one went ugly, I bought a Taylor GA3-12. It was just a bit too polite, didn't have the chime and ring I was accustomed to from the big bodied maple Alvarez. The sound is a little darker since I fingerpick, rarely ever using a pick. Most of the time when I do, it's on an electric. Leo Kottke is one of my heroes.

The Yairi is always at arm's length even though I have accumulated quite a few other electrics and acoustics once again. I don't see myself being without one. It keeps my hands in shape. (I also spend a significant amount of my playing time on my classicals.) I use it as an additional texture when I am ambitious enough to record.

The Tak will be going on the block soon..

I'm struggling with GAS for an electric 12 string these days..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Thumpalumpacus and Who like this.
  10. MrWrong

MrWrong V.I.P. Member

When I first started playing guitar in the early '60s I played folk music, got a Framus 12 acoustic and really liked the lush sound of a 12. Started playing surf music and when the Beatles and Byrds came along my band played many of their songs so played 12 strings often.

Currently have a epi and an Alverez acoustics and 4 electric 12s. Love the chime and jangle of the Ric but mostly play the 335.

Here are my 12-string electric mugshots

Ric 360/12

[​IMG]

Gibson 335-12

[​IMG]

Gibson LP Trad 12

[​IMG]

Gibson SG-12

[​IMG]

11. KristianJ

KristianJ Member

My 12er is a Cort Earth 200-12...bought it back in 2009 or thereabouts. Only real reason I bought it at the time was to say that I had one.

These days I use it every so often in a church context and it does its job well.

Attached Files:

Who likes this.
  12. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

When I was in my teens my acoustic was an Ibanez w/ Maple back and sides. Sounded great. Wish I still had it..

13. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

I didn't know I could select more than one option. Now I can't go back and change it.

For the record, "I own at least one." Two, in fact, but I'm planning on giving one away.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  14. Rds

Rds Senior Member

Wow some interesting guitars on this thread. I have a late 70's Ibanez j200 copy that's a great sounding 12, mahogany body spruce top. Also have a Taylor 12. It's a cheaper one, dread body, but sounds very good as well.

15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I played an acoustic 12 string once and I didn't like it... I am kinda of lead player and I believe this guitar shines more in rhythms !

16. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I used to own a 1983 Martin D12-28 but sold it to Norm Harris in 2004.

I own this 1992 Guild JF-65-12, bought it new in '94. I like the sound of this over the Martin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I used to think that way, too. I've learnt over the last five years that they work for me really well playing leads, even with my bendy style. Of course, that requires a good guitar with low action. It helps that speed is not my focus when soloing -- not saying it's yours, YKWIM.

18. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I didn't have the chance to play that 12 strings enough.. it was just a jam session where I grabbed it for 10 minutes.. yeah may be I would like it if i played it more.

19. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

My #1 for the bulk of my 20's was an 80's vintage Fender F-5-12. I first saw one in a pawn shop (around $300), but as a non-working student at the time I just couldn't afford it. Still, I went back and looked at that guitar hard more than once. And then one day, it was gone. C'est la vie.

Couple years later I was still a student but had a really good summer job (union wages.) I saw an ad in the local paper for a Fender 12-string for sale. Went to take a look at it, and damned if it wasn't the same one. Had the same ding on the top below the bridge. He was asking $250, but I got him down to $225. He was preparing to spend a year traveling and needed to unload his stuff to fund his travels. I hope he enjoyed his hostels!

I played that thing nearly every day for years. (Being a Leo Kottke fan, there was a LOT of retuning...)

That was a good, if challenging, guitar. Really helped shape who I am as a player.

Thinking seriously about giving it away.

20. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Guess we owe it all to Pamela Brown..

If you are looking to find it a good home, I'm sure it would thrive here. Unless you already have someone without in mind.